What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the rabbits do a "Back to Redfern" round?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Of course other teams want us to move a game to Redfern because it will hurt our crowd averages. Get stuffed. If Redfern was 19k capacity then it would be good for a lower drawing game but 5k is not enough for any NRL game.

forward pass

Coach
A serious question about Belmore - but can someone tell me why the ground has continued to be maintained even though not used in NRL for 17 years? I know the Bulldogs train and are based there, but there must be significant costs in maintaining the grandstand and other parts of the ground for not much return?

Just curious.

ag6858

Juniors
A serious question about Belmore - but can someone tell me why the ground has continued to be maintained even though not used in NRL for 17 years? I know the Bulldogs train and are based there, but there must be significant costs in maintaining the grandstand and other parts of the ground for not much return?

Just curious.

Sydney Olympic play there in the NSW Premier League soccer.

ouwet

Bench
In front of how many dozen spectators? Seems like a lot of upkeep for a Premier league side.

Our NSW Cup side plays home games at Belmore... Canterbury-Bankstown Junior RL play finals at Belmore, the offices in Belmore is home to the Football club staff! Bulldogs (All squads) train full-time at the stadium. I'm certain more happens at the stadium but cannot think of it ATM!

papabear

Juniors
Are you kidding me? The NRL don't want to be associated with this shit:

p_redfern.jpg
Caroline St,

I lived there, made a lot of money off it too.

Great street, close to train station, park across the road south Sydney views, mundines gym nearby.

Great spot.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's not strictly the same ground its been so heavily redeveloped. Essentially it's been rebuilt from the ground up and can't hold anywhere near the same amount of people. 5k is really the capacity now

rabbitohs95

Bench
Why is Redfern's capacity only 5 grand like people are suggesteing?

It used to regularly draw crowds over 10k, sometimes reaching 20k
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s.../south-sydney-vs-manly-warringah/summary.html

Seemed to me that it was not too dissimilar in capacity to Leichhardt Oval today.

The new renovations unfortunately actually made the capacity smaller, there's only one grandstand and the rest of it is just concrete seating. Now if they added portable seating I think they could be able to get around 10k, unfortunately I believe the NRL requires a minimum of 15k. You're right that it's capacity was 20k though, I believe the record there was 23k.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Why is Redfern's capacity only 5 grand like people are suggesteing?

It used to regularly draw crowds over 10k, sometimes reaching 20k
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s.../south-sydney-vs-manly-warringah/summary.html

Seemed to me that it was not too dissimilar in capacity to Leichhardt Oval today.

Have you been there lately? I went to a return to redfern game in 2009 v the Tigers. Id be surprised if they got 5k there now. The hill at leichhardt is about 4 times the size of refern.