What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the RLEF merge the Euro and Med Cups?

paulmac

Juniors
Given now that the European Rugby League Federation has 11 members (England,Ireland,Scotland,Wales,France,Russia,Lebanon,Italy,Serbia,
Holland & Morrocco)with a 12th on the way (Georgia)and runs both the Nations Cup and Mediterranean Cups my question is should we merge two and just have an expanded European Nations Cup?
I feel an 8-team tournament with England,Ireland,Scotland,Russia,Wales
,France,Lebanon & Italy could be quite successful.A European Bowl competition would be held at the same time for Morrocco,Holland,Serbia & Georgia.England would host the event at the same time as the tri-nations with matches like Holland v Serbia played as a curtain raisers to NZ v GB.
Imagine the buzz the Serbian players would get playing in a competitve fixture at a big ground with a huge crowd in attendance.It certainly beats getting smashed by Lebanon in front of 150 people in downtown Tripoli.
POOL A - England,Ireland,France,Itlay
POOL B - Wales,Scotland,Lebenon,Russia
BOWL - Morrocco,Holland,Georgia,Serbia

The Observer

Staff member
I'd prefer that regional tournaments were staged, b/c it could save money on travel costs/accomodation etc, and it would allow teams like Serbia and Georgia to compete at a more realistic level of competition:

West European Cup - England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Holland, France

Med Cup - France A, Lebanon, Morocco, Greece, Italy

East European Cup - Russia, Georgia, Serbia

YANTO

Juniors
Paulmac has the right idea.
I would go just one step further and have it as three divisions.
Start of with
Premier
England,France,Wales,Russia (the four with strong(ish) national team AND domestic comps)
Div 1
Lebanon,Ireland,Scotland,Morocco (decent international level but weaker domestic comp)
Div2
Serbia,Holland,Georgia,Italy or Greece. (weaker of the nations at the moment with little domestic competition)

With promotion and relegation this would give the better teams the oppertunity to progress and let the weaker develop at their own pace BUT would ensure a minimum of three Internationals for each country every year which in turn would be giving each country a meaningful International calander.
It would also help the lesser countries develop their own comps with an International tournament as an incentive for more/better players to become involved.
If the ERLF are serious in expanding the game then they also must find the funds to do this.(somehow)

joshreading

Staff member
I agree with a premier division but wouldn't you say in playing strength that Lebanon are premier?

bender

Juniors
YANTO said:
Paulmac has the right idea.
I would go just one step further and have it as three divisions.
Start of with
Premier
England,France,Wales,Russia (the four with strong(ish) national team AND domestic comps)
Div 1
Lebanon,Ireland,Scotland,Morocco (decent international level but weaker domestic comp)
Div2
Serbia,Holland,Georgia,Italy or Greece. (weaker of the nations at the moment with little domestic competition)

With promotion and relegation this would give the better teams the oppertunity to progress and let the weaker develop at their own pace BUT would ensure a minimum of three Internationals for each country every year which in turn would be giving each country a meaningful International calander.
It would also help the lesser countries develop their own comps with an International tournament as an incentive for more/better players to become involved.
If the ERLF are serious in expanding the game then they also must find the funds to do this.(somehow)

I think that the European Cup should be held every 4 years. I think that the top8 teams would actually make an interesting competition. England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Lebanon, France, Greece all at full strength would be a competition where each team could conceivably win the competition, even though England would be the favourites. It it were promoted properly like a mini world cup, i think it could become a money spinner and could rotate between France, Russia and England and as the game grows, other countries might get a pool or tournament. I think the key to getting England and Australia to invest money in developing nations is to have successful international competitions and in particular a world cup. If italy or Lebanon were Euro Semi-finalists (not totally out of the question) it would add enormous interest to the world cup and importantly, would get the big2 to start investing in internationals.

Regarding the Med cup, i wouldnt have thought merging it would be a good thing. The key to its development, i would have thought, would be having a side like Lebanon reduce their Sydney players and eventually introduce domestic based players as seems to have happened this year. Eventually, I would have thought that Greece and Italy would join the comp soon (with domestic players) and that France may even outgrow the comp, but i think it will alwas be more of a players competition providing regional comp for the developing nations in the area. (Russian Region, Britain and central Europe (or even Pacific, Africa and america) should have similar tournaments. Their goal should be development of the domestic comp players as opposed to the European Cup and "tests" which should try to attract finances and spectator interest.

paulmac

Juniors
Yanto - I think promotion and relegation between the bowl and cup comps is a great idea.Although it would require a playoff between the two bottom placed sides with the loser going down.Unfortnatelty that would probably mean Russia.
PS With the Morroccans being French based have you got any plans to get a game happening between Holland and Morrocco?Maybe next years Rotterdam Cup could insteasd be the first European Bowl.With yourselves Morrocco,Serbia and Georgia.

YANTO

Juniors
We actually had a Morrocan club side ,Sportiff Berechid enterd in this years Rotterdam Nines which would have been a massive boost to the game in Marocco.
Unfortunatly a week before the tournament the club were all denied visas for the Netherlands (state of the world today).
We would love to hold a "European Bowl Tournament in 2005" but finances of these countries may not allow this.
Hopefully this is where Kevin Rudd, the new European DO can help these new countries.
Kevin was present at last years Rotterdam Cup and was impressed with the organisation.

Jeffles

Bench
Keep the two tournaments.

I think the ENC should move to the beginning of the year. I see many advantages

1) It benefits France as they get more match ready. This gives them an artificial advantage over England and evens out the competition (which is currently a guaranteed trophy for England).

2) The unavailability of GB players degrades the competition. Playing it during the pre-season may get more rep players there.

3) Better press coverage because it's out of the shadows of the Tri-Nations.

4) Playing it before the start of the season (UK) means local Leagues can capitalise on publicity immediately. Instead of saying to some newcomer at Cardiff "glad you like RL, come back in 5 months", you can say "this is just the beginning. The season starts in a few weeks.

screeny

Bench
YANTO said:
We actually had a Morrocan club side ,Sportiff Berechid enterd in this years Rotterdam Nines which would have been a massive boost to the game in Marocco.
Unfortunatly a week before the tournament the club were all denied visas for the Netherlands (state of the world today).
We would love to hold a "European Bowl Tournament in 2005" but finances of these countries may not allow this.
Hopefully this is where Kevin Rudd, the new European DO can help these new countries.
Kevin was present at last years Rotterdam Cup and was impressed with the organisation.

Why were they denied visas Yanto? They deserve to know why and embassies need to give reasons why they prevent another country's citizentry from travelling.

Possibly due to Madrid bombings or Casablanca explosion?

How many other clubs are there in Maroc? This just endorses my view that Moroccan club rugby league doesn't exist!

YANTO

Juniors
As far Amoud at Sportiff says they are the ONLY club that plays League in Morocco.
I dont know who they play against screeny ??
They have a distinct dislike for the Moroccain RL who base all of their plans and players around French Moroccains. (see the Med Cup team)
As for visas being denied Morocco and Holland seem to have had a big illegal imigrant problem.

thedux

Juniors
I think that regional tournaments on a smaller scale are much more realistic in terms of organisation and reducing costs. A bigger comp would mean more teams sitting idle at different stage with someone having to foot the bill, whereas, 4 teams playing 3 games each over a week is a more efficient concept.
As well, sides become more familiar with each other leading to more competitive rivalries over the long-term.
And don't forget that Malta will more than likely be added to the Med cup next year as that comp expands.

paulmac

Juniors
Jeffles - Regarding the timing of the tournament I thnk mid season would be best.I would love to see the Super League suspended for 2 weekends with all 8 teams in a knockout competition,the 4 home nations on one side of the draw so it becomes like the Brittish equivolent of Origin.All matches would be played in Northern England so good crowds would be guaranteed.It would look something like this.
A.England v Ireland (Bradford).Curtain raiser - Holland v Serbia
B.Wales v Scotland (Widnes)Curtain raiser - Georgia v Morrocco
C.France v Lebanon (Castleford)Double Header
D.Italy v Russia (Castleford)Double Header
SF1.winner A v winner B (Wigan)Curtain raiser - Holland v Morrocco
SF2.winner C v winner D (Hull)Curtain raiser - Serbia v Morrocco
FINAL.winner SF1 v winner SF2 (Leeds)Cr- Holland v Georgia & Serbia v Morrocco.
Matches would be played Saturday-Wednesday-Sunday