What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should they finish last ...

bender

Juniors
I have never thought that promotion and relegation could work, particularly in a sport like rugby league, unless there is a playoff between the Last placed side and the first placed lower division side. The Lower division side needs to prove that they can compete in the higher division, not just be the best of those that are outside the higher division.

deluded pom?

Coach
The teams in SL get far more money than the NL teams . By that virtue alone then the SL teams will be stronger . A playoff between the last placed SL team and the NL GF winners would be loaded towards the SL team . The winners of NL always try to rebuild in the closed season but once again they can't sign players until they know they are going up which is well after the signing deadline is lifted . This means they get the leftovers of the players available . Once again it's loaded towards the SL teams .It would be interesting to see how many of the promoted teams have actually gone straight back down .

bender

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
The teams in SL get far more money than the NL teams . By that virtue alone then the SL teams will be stronger . A playoff between the last placed SL team and the NL GF winners would be loaded towards the SL team . The winners of NL always try to rebuild in the closed season but once again they can't sign players until they know they are going up which is well after the signing deadline is lifted . This means they get the leftovers of the players available . Once again it's loaded towards the SL teams .It would be interesting to see how many of the promoted teams have actually gone straight back down .

I agree with your points, but wouldnt loading the game towards the SL side be a good thing? It would give the British the security of the Franchise System and let them maintain the promotional dream. When they do earn that right, it is likely that they will stay up for a long time, and become a power club eventually, if they are good enough. Sure it wont happen often, but it gives the club something to aim for. I think it would actually improve the lower leagues too. They would be forced to concentrate on producing juniors to get them to go up, rather than just buying the best of the leftovers.

I'm sick and tired of people claiming that Wigan deserve to be in SL. All we hear is that 'it wouldn't be SL without Wigan'. Tough!

If they finish bottom then they should go down!

If it was anyone else (apart from Leeds) then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

deluded pom?

Coach
bender said:
I think it would actually improve the lower leagues too. They would be forced to concentrate on producing juniors to get them to go up, rather than just buying the best of the leftovers.

Produce juniors for the SL teams to cherry pick and weaken the NL team . I realise big fish eat small fish but this would just mean the same fish are always the big ones . Why would a decent junior stay at a team that could take three years to prove themselves when they could try to make it on full time money with a SL team . By the way I totally agree with Stan .

Totally agree with Stan too, If Wigan finish bottom they should go down but can't help feeling that it won't happen, especially after paying out £450 000 for Fielden.

I feel that somethings already been agreed to make sure they don't go down otherwise that amount of money for a player for 11 weeks just doesn't make sense, but then when has anything in British RL ever made sense?!!!

Seriously though if Wigan do finish bottom and are saved from relegation it would make the RFL a laughing stock and the game would suffer for it.

deluded pom?

Coach
When Saints , Hull and Halifax were penalised for breaching the cap they had points deducted . Unfortunately they were deducted the season after the actual breach occured . What's to stop Wigan overspending this season and taking their chances with a points deduction next year , as long as they stay up ? Wigan could point to a precedent already being set .

Latest posts