What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we just open Origin up to other nations?

RWB

Bench
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anyone can play origin but the argument I have here is that there's plenty of players who have spent a large amount of their life in either living in QLD or NSW after their family migrated from another country.

Let me take some examples;

Nathan Cayless
- Born in Sydney
- Played his junior Rugby League for Wenworthville
- Represented NSW at junior rep level
- Chose to play for NZ

Jaryd Hayne
- Born in Sydney
- Played his junior Rugby League for Cambelltown & Cabramatta
- Represented NSW at junior rep level
- Originally chose to play for Fiji but now plays for Australia

Now no one can sit here and tell me that these guys wouldn't bleed for the NSW origin jersey, growing up in NSW, representing NSW in junior rep comps & watching it on TV every year they're probably just as passionate about the game as anyone.

However both have very proud family heritage and at some point had to make a tough decision on who they were going to play for (Obviously under the current rules choosing any country other than Australia makes you ineligible for State of Origin). I suggest that the international game and SOO game would be better off for allowing both the guys above to represent either New Zealand or Fiji whilst also representing the State they grew up in.

The criteria would need to be very strict, NZ kids who move over here at the age of 16-17 to look for a chance in the NRL wouldn't be allowed, they'd need to spend a significant amount of time in their respective states junior Rugby League system. Without giving it a lot of thought I think the criteria would have to read something like;

• Played junior Rugby League in respective state since the age of 12 or;
  • Had residency in respective state since the age of 12

Lets face it there's already some poaching going on and it's not doing the games credibility any good as it's making a mockery of the rules. The lines of what's morally right or wrong have been blurred by both states and there needs to be either a big overhaul or the rules or much stricter enforcement and despite years of pressure from fans we know the latter isn't going to happen.

Now I know people will say how can you play for NSW and not Australia, NSW is Australia but I'll leave you with one more example and a thought to ponder;

Petero Civoniceva
- Born in Fiji, moved to Australia before he was even a 1 year old
- Played his junior Rugby League for Redcliffe
- Represented QLD at junior rep level
- Chose to play for Australia

Is the notion that you play for the state in which you grew up in but you play for the country in which your family has a rich history and heritage that ridiculous?

SOO is better off for having blokes like Petero & Hayne who both undoubtedly love playing for their states but if given the choice to also play for Fiji wouldn't it be great to see these guys tear in at the end of the season and finally start to build the international game up to what it could be?

Thoughts?

RedVee

First Grade
No for mine. Leave Origen only for those eligible to represent Australia BUT toughen the National eligibility requirements and enforce that your choice is binding for life, no switching at all or that you must sit out for an extended period 5+ years.
I like Australia to demand that players are Australian citizens to be eligible for Australian representation, that allows for those that have migrated to make Australia their home.

whall15

Coach
I agree, international eligibility should not be harmed because you want to play State of Origin.

adamkungl

Immortal
Australia eligibility should have nothing to do with SOO.

Kiwi ring ins should not be playing SOO.

Been saying this on here for ages, looks like more people are starting to see the same thing

hutch

First Grade
Hayne originally played for Australia in 2007 and only played for Fiji after he was cut from the Australian train I squad. He should never have been allowed to switch!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I dunno. International eligibility is it's own beast, and is a different issue entirely.

I don't have a problem with residency eligibility for internationals, though maybe the period should be longer (5 yrs at least).

If Origin didn't exist Tamou would be playing for NZ. I believe that's the issue RBM is bringing up. Guys who only play for Australia as a way of playing Origin rather than your Hayne's/Civoneciva's who are genuinely proud to represent their country.

RedVee

First Grade
Yes, to me if they are not prepared to become Australian they should not be in Origin either. If they prefer to stay Kiwi (or whatever) that is fine, but they are not eligible for City/Country, NSW/Qld or Australia.

For the minor Nations, the issue is switching. It seems that up to now a lot have played for the minor Nation knowing that they could always switch to Australia/NZ/England if that becomes convenient. There needs to be a proper qualification to remove doubts, and if any doubt does remain the player needs to know that after they take the field for a country they cannot switch to another.

Cayless is a professional bludger. Remember how he was only going to take the field for the GF if he was 100%? Remind me, how long did he last in that GF? A great team man, eh? Why on earth you would permit someone to play origin who would rather play for NZ over NSW and Oz is beyond me. But then, you ocker meatheads never fail to surprise. Why is it that you think players like Petero or Hayne would prefer to play for their country of heritage over Oz? Why is it that we never hear the same talk about players of anglo-saxon heritage? It wouldn't have something to do with the tint of their skin now, would it? Of course, it's a given that darky can never be as proud an Ozzie as whitey can, isn't it? When it comes to issues of citizenship ockerland is pretty backward, it has to be said. So it amuses to hear demands that players should now have to be citizens. Did you know it wasn't until 2002 that Oz even permitted dual citizenship? NZ has allowed it since 1949. In Oz before 1983, a married woman's passport application had to be authorised by her husband. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Bottom line, there is no issue here. If a player like Tamou, who has resided in Oz for a decade decides to play for NSW and Oz then he is fully entitled to. He is more than eligible for Oz under the eligibility criteria that apply. Similarly, if born and raised Qlders such as Hoffman or Beale choose to play for NZ over Qld and Oz, then so be it. Obviously the pull of origin is not nearly as great as some of you meatheads claim. Isn't it about time some of you ocker cretins just accepted multiculturalism? This debate is becoming really tedious, and is not a good look for Oz. That snigger you might hear is Kiwis laughing at how dumb the ockers are. No doubt Kiwis will welcome any new rules that restricts dual eligible players choosing Oz over NZ, while at the same time kiwis will continue to poach Oz born and schooled talent for their national side.

adamkungl

Immortal
Cayless is a professional bludger. Remember how he was only going to take the field for the GF if he was 100%? Remind me, how long did he last in that GF? A great team man, eh? Why on earth you would permit someone to play origin who would rather play for NZ over NSW and Oz is beyond me. But then, you ocker meatheads never fail to surprise. Why is it that you think players like Petero or Hayne would prefer to play for their country of heritage over Oz? Why is it that we never hear the same talk about players of anglo-saxon heritage? It wouldn't have something to do with the tint of their skin now, would it? Of course, it's a given that darky can never be as proud an Ozzie as whitey can, isn't it? When it comes to issues of citizenship ockerland is pretty backward, it has to be said. So it amuses to hear demands that players should now have to be citizens. Did you know it wasn't until 2002 that Oz even permitted dual citizenship? NZ has allowed it since 1949. In Oz before 1983, a married woman's passport application had to be authorised by her husband. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Bottom line, there is no issue here. If a player like Tamou, who has resided in Oz for a decade decides to play for NSW and Oz then he is fully entitled to. He is more than eligible for Oz under the eligibility criteria that apply. Similarly, if born and raised Qlders such as Hoffman or Beale choose to play for NZ over Qld and Oz, then so be it. Obviously the pull of origin is not nearly as great as some of you meatheads claim. Isn't it about time some of you ocker cretins just accepted multiculturalism? This debate is becoming really tedious, and is not a good look for Oz. That snigger you might hear is Kiwis laughing at how dumb the ockers are. No doubt Kiwis will welcome any new rules that restricts dual eligible players choosing Oz over NZ, while at the same time kiwis will continue to poach Oz born and schooled talent for their national side.

2 paragraphs and not a single worthwhile word on the issue.

hutch

First Grade
Yes, to me if they are not prepared to become Australian they should not be in Origin either. If they prefer to stay Kiwi (or whatever) that is fine, but they are not eligible for City/Country, NSW/Qld or Australia.

For the minor Nations, the issue is switching. It seems that up to now a lot have played for the minor Nation knowing that they could always switch to Australia/NZ/England if that becomes convenient. There needs to be a proper qualification to remove doubts, and if any doubt does remain the player needs to know that after they take the field for a country they cannot switch to another.

This!

Along with a fairer international and rep schedule for ALL nations and the problem is solved!

adamkungl

Immortal
that's because there is no issue here, other than in your confused mind.

The rules of the state game in one contry are damaging the international game across multiple countries.

You've decided to play the race card and ramble about multiculturalism, completely missing the point. By your logic we may as well let any player play for any rep side they want, wouldn't want to discriminate against anyone :roll:

Big Pete

Referee
No for mine.

We need to strengthen eligibility rules to the point where the rep. decision has been made before NZRL, QRL and NSWRL can persuade players to represent them.

I value Origin not just because it's Queensland vs. New South Wales but it's two Australian teams competing in the toughest arena where stars are born and respect is earned.

adamkungl

Immortal
No for mine.

We need to strengthen eligibility rules to the point where the rep. decision has been made before NZRL, QRL and NSWRL can persuade players to represent them.

There are always gonna be situations where a player has a choice between nations, and that choice should be available to them.

That choice should not be heavily influenced by a completely separate rep competition.

And further down the track, in some far off future where there is a competitive rep scene outside of 3 countries, it shouldn't be influenced by cash either.

Bovrick

Juniors
Tough question and I can never quite decide personally. As to the racial issues, don't be ridiculous, of course players should be able to self select the team they want to represent. It just distorts the selection process when one nation is offering to throw money at you through Origin, whereas others offer you barely anything.

Meth

Staff member
To me, it's kinda like illegal immigration. If you don't want illegal immigrants, it's up to you to patrol your borders effectively and provide a clear and appropriate pathway to legal immigration.

You Aussies are ruining Origin and hurting the International game at the same time. NZ is just as bad with blokes like Fien and Webb.

Shortstuff

Juniors
If Origin didn't exist Tamou would be playing for NZ. I believe that's the issue RBM is bringing up. Guys who only play for Australia as a way of playing Origin rather than your Hayne's/Civoneciva's who are genuinely proud to represent their country.

I watched Tamou when the national anthem was being played in the Anzac Test, he didn't sing a note. Will be interesting to see what he does on Oct 13.

Big Pete

Referee
adamkungl said:
There are always gonna be situations where a player has a choice between nations, and that choice should be available to them.

And I'm saying they should make this choice well before they're 24.

16 would be ideal.