What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we relocate to Redcliffe permanently?

vinnie delpino

Juniors
Should the Warriors permanently relocate to Redcliffe or somewhere in QLD but still be known as NZ Warriors and play some home games in NZ if it means attracting and keeping talent like Walsh, Aitken, Curran, Lodge etc?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Umm. There's a new team coming in 2023 called the Redcliffe Dolphins... Not sure they'd be thrilled with that.

Also due respect Aitken, Walsh or Lodge ain't worth relocating over.

Curran is committed to coming to NZ, will suck to lose Walsh but there'll always be another.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Umm. There's a new team coming in 2023 called the Redcliffe Dolphins... Not sure they'd be thrilled with that.

Also due respect Aitken, Walsh or Lodge ain't worth relocating over.

Curran is committed to coming to NZ, will suck to lose Walsh but there'll always be another.
Are they going to be known as “Redcliffe“?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I wouldn't be dismissing this out of hand at all (obviously with the knowledge it wouldn't be Redcliffe).

If we think we can keep plodding along drawing sub-par talent from Auckland/NZ then not developing it sufficiently, having a lack of access to NRL quality coaches and strong pathway guys, and not being able to convince the top NRL talent to come and live in Auckland to play for us for any period of time, and somehow win a comp or go close, then I think I'd like to sell you a bag of Kevin Locke's magic beans for a couple of million dollars. You'll believe anything.

There are some MASSIVE issues with this club, and there is the very real problem that they are only going to get worse. A lot of them are associated with being an NZ club.

And in theory, what do we lose by at least having some of our identity and location affixed to Australia, as long as we play a lot of games in Auckland? We'd travel every second week from Auckland anyway. No fans go to trainings. What presence are we missing?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
No. The purpose of the club and reason they are in the NRL in the first place is to represent NZ and give the NRL a presence there. If we relocate that will eventually die out. I’m old enough to remember pre-95 and the excitement leading up to the club’s admission in the comp. I don’t want to let go of that dream. It’s why I’ve stuck with the Warriors ever since.

Blair

Coach
No. The purpose of the club and reason they are in the NRL in the first place is to represent NZ and give the NRL a presence there. If we relocate that will eventually die out. I’m old enough to remember pre-95 and the excitement leading up to the club’s admission in the comp. I don’t want to let go of that dream. It’s why I’ve stuck with the Warriors ever since.
Onya Space. That's me to a tee, too.

JJ

Immortal
Got to stay in Auckland - which if the club isn't a shambles is a relatively big market...

Matua

Bench
While I agree with the sentiment, any reader of my posts would know that I don't think that sentiment is being played out.

I too remember pre-95 and the excitement, and the first game etc ... the team that runs out now with an entire foreign starting pack isn't that for me anymore which is why I'm a fair-weather fan and frequent forum negative nelly. This team is not doing enough to make me feel I should support them wholeheartedly (which I did for years).

If the current iteration of the Warriors stayed in Oz I'm not sure I'd care. But, in general, if they do want to be a NZ club for NZ league then they have to stay in NZ.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Got to stay in Auckland - which if the club isn't a shambles is a relatively big market...
It's a 'big market' when we're winning finals matches. We haven't won one for 11 years. And we won't access any more fans until we do - and based on the way we are now, that's so far away it ain't funny.
How far away are we from 'dying out' with a presence and a team, right now though? From what I see and hear, the local competitions, school competitions, junior pathways are on life support. The interest in the Kiwis has waned to an all-time low. Yeah, the fans will come back for the Tigers game and in the short-term, but what sort of crowds are we going to get next year if we start losing and we can't replace the likes of Walsh, Aitken, Lodge etc?

I don't want it to seem like I don't give a shit about the Warriors being in NZ, I do. I'm a former season ticket holder who religiously went to 20s games, Vulcans games, I'm massively passionate about our club (as most of us are). And I hold out hope that we might be competitive again, but I can't see how. I just think there might be a model where we don't relocate, but we can have a larger presence in Australia through pathways, maybe allowing players to reside there and make it work with home games etc to fix the problem of access to players but also coaches and those pathways. If there's some version of relocation, as long as we play half our games at home and train some of that week/do public appearances etc, what changes?

Rich102

Staff member
Very good points Penrose.
We are having a good start to our year - but forum numbers are down.
The 3-2-1 numbers are far better when we win than if we lose.
We have lost the U20's and reserves games plus our team in the Womens comp.
We have lost the best recruitment manager we have had as well as Phil Gould.
I would say the club is hanging on by a thread.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I agree. Look, I hope I'm being a realist rather than a pessimist - the absolute last thing I want is for this club to sink further down the gurgler. It isn't there yet, but gee I don't see a lot of positives going forward if we're not developing players and we can't get people to come and play in Auckland. Every year away from 2011 we get, it seems more dire.

I want us to be successful and I honestly feel like the model may need to change. We can say nup, we are an NZ club, a Penrose club and I get it. I remember 95, the wave of popularity in 2002 and 2007-11, I bloody loved it and miss it.

But I think we also need to be aware of where we're headed and be realistic about what the best thing for this club might be. Our issues are the ability to attract and retain NRL quality players, to grow them through pathways and make them better once they're in the system too, and also access to quality coaches - at all levels: NRL, reserve grade, juniors, club footy etc. I can't see a way forward for any of those issues which will hold us back from ever being a force in this competition. And maybe leaving NZ - in some form, I'm not saying be the Warrandyte Warriors - might be one of the things to look at. And I reckon they already will have.

JJ

Immortal
The NRL will want a team in NZ, and when I say Auckland is a big market - it is, it's a big city, and if the team is run well and performs it will be supported - there isn't the loyalty you see in 100 + year old football clubs where fans will tolerate rubbish...

At the end of the day if there isn't a team in Auckland, I am back to following Penrith. For me the club doesn't have to be filled with Kiwis, but it does need to provide pathways for them

But it's incumbent on the owners and management to do better... and of course it's a business so what will be will be, but the NRL probably won't want a contraction

They need to get the Jersey Flegg team (21s) back over here in the comp
They need the reserve grade back fully in NSW or QLD cup
Covid ruined that
We get them back then the depth will strengthen and performances in the long run will be successful

Latest posts