What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sia Soliola

JJ

Immortal
Haven't seen much of him... but

1. Pretty clear we don't need a backrower.
2. Past his prime
3. We know that being good in Super League doesn't immediately translate to being good in the NRL

JJ

Immortal
You'd think he is 33 reading this thread

Fair point

But the main one is how many back rowers do we need? Not another surely, I'd have thought a prop should be on the radar, especially as coach seems to like Matulino on the fringes

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
A second rower who can cover centre at a pinch.

A few months ago before be signed Hoffman and moved Matulino I would've said hell yes. Now, we're struggling to squeeze in the back rowers we already have.

The guys a good player and will only be 28 come next season.

I'm neither here nor there to be honest, just not sure whether it's necessary.

Iafeta

Referee
In fairness though, back in those days being a Warriors junior probably involved a free set of boots and bag of chips once every 6 months.

The only way I see Sia being on any interest to us is if we have been unable to retain Dominique Peyroux. Similar types I guess in being combos, centres/back rower types.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yeah I got a surprise when I checked out his age.

That said I haven't seen him do much for a number of years now.
He was a real gun 3-4 years ago.

Well I mean thats because you probably haven't seen him play since he left the NRL :lol:. I haven't seen him play this season so can't really comment on his current form either.

I really wanted us to try bring him in over in 2012. He's the type of player that should we be targeting in the future recruitment wise, guys who leave for the super league early

Skinner

Coach
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/sia-soon/

FORMER Kiwi Test star Sia Soliola has announced he is returning Down Under – sparking a fierce bidding war for his services within the NRL.

The Storm and Warriors are believed to be leading the race to sign the former Rooster, with several other clubs also in the hunt.

Soliola has been one of the form players in Super League for the past few seasons, standing out at both centre and back row.

The 11-Test veteran has played the past five seasons in England with glamour club St Helens after 92 games for the Roosters from 2005-09.

“Sia has done his time over there and has decided he wants to come home,” Soliola’s manager Steve Gillis says of the 27-year-old.

“Five years is a long time and he is ready to return to Australia or New Zealand.

“He has been playing great football over there on a consistent basis and clubs over here have noticed that.

“Without doubt, he has been one of the best players in Super League.

“His ability to play in both the forwards and backs is a big plus.

“There aren’t many established players left on the market and so his availability has sparked a fair bit of interest.”

The Warriors and Storm both have money left in their cap and are in the hunt for an established player to boost their squads.

Born in Auckland of Samoan descent, Soliola was signed by the Roosters as a teenager and made his debut in 2005 in the centres at the age of only 18 after helping the club to the Premier League title the year before.

Soliola was selected by the Kiwis for international football the same year but had to withdraw through injury, making his Test debut in 2006.

He was a regular in the Roosters’ top side in his five seasons at the Chooks and club officials were disappointed when he signed with St Helens for big money at the height of his career.

The hard-running utility captained Samoa at the World Cup last year and his form suggests he would walk back into most clubs in the NRL.

The Storm are light on experience outside the ‘Big Three’ and coach Craig Bellamy is believed to be keen to bring a player of Soliola’s strength and background to the club.

- TONY ADAMS

vvvrulz

Coach
Well I mean thats because you probably haven't seen him play since he left the NRL :lol:. I haven't seen him play this season so can't really comment on his current form either.

I caught him during the World Cup playing for Samoa.
Didn't have anywhere near the impact he used to in the NRL and for the Kiwis

If I remember correctly his last NRL season wasn't anything too great either, but that's going back a while.

I was definitely a fan though and if he can find somewhere near his top form again he'll be a good buy.

Rebel

First Grade
8 Lillyman
9 Friend
10 Rapira
11 Hoffman
12 Matulino
13 Mannering

14 Henry
15 Mateo
16 Matagi
17 Ikahahifo

Forward pack for next year and thats leaving out bakuya and gubb. I honestly dont see were soliola fits in