What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side of the future

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Atleast you know when he on. I don't see his form as too bad. Atleast he is trying hard still. I just wish you guys would stop bagging the players who have talent and put it in even when they are not fully up on form.

fish eel

Immortal
I'm not bagging Vella, just saying he aint a workhorse.

I think he has been alright when on the field, but seriously, if he was a workhorse I'd expect him to be playing closer to 80 minutes than the bit more than half a game he does now.

Eels Supporter

Juniors
Hi all,

I have been a frequent visitor to this site for quite some time now, and read all posts with interest and sometimes, amusement. But DvdHtr has gotten the better of me. DvdHtr, why do you bag Ash Graham like you do? From all posts on this forum I gather that you are one of a very small minority who does. Most seem to be of the same opinion that I am, and that is that he is a player of the future. Brian Smith and the other powers at Parra seem to think so, and so do the Queensland State of Origin selectors. He was selected in the Queensland Emerging SOO squad. He was also selected in the Australian Junior Kangaroos as an 18 yo and again last year. Unfortunately, due to injury both years, he was forced to withdraw. He played his first game in First Grade for this year on Friday night and I do agree that he did not have a great game, then who did!! He is coming off a 9 month break from injury and has only had 1 Flegg and 1 Prem League game leading up to Friday night. I think you should just wait and see. I think he has a bright future. Parra have signed him to end of 2006, and I bet he comes through for them.

fish eel

Immortal
Its funny.

First he bags Ashley Graham, and he has called Armit a log, then he says

I just wish you guys would stop bagging the players who have talent and put it in even when they are not fully up on form

:roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
DvdHntr said:
Atleast you know when he on. I don't see his form as too bad. Atleast he is trying hard still. I just wish you guys would stop bagging the players who have talent and put it in even when they are not fully up on form.

I don't disagree that Vella has talent - I will go as far to say that as a ball player and ball runner Vella COULD be one of the best props running around. It is just that since 2001 he hasn't shown anywhere near what he was capable of since he was voted the Rookie of the Year and played for NSW and Australia.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
fish eel said:
Its funny.

I just wish you guys would stop bagging the players who have talent and put it in even when they are not fully up on form

Maybe because they either don't have talent or they don't put in which one is it? Because it is definately one or both.

Parraren

Bench
I've noticed that just about all of the sides listed above don't have any players from outside the club. Are you suggesting we don't try and pick up some quality players after June 30?

I'm not doubting that we have alot of young talent in our ranks and they could play a big part in our future success but I doubt very much we can win a premiership with our juniors alone, as good as they might be. Even the Panthers had to look outside their own ranks to win the Premiership last year despite having a wealth of young talent coming through. Do you think the Panthers could have won the comp last year withougt picking up Luke Priddis, Preston Campbell & Martin Lang off the open market? No chance in hell [-(

I'm all for putting faith in some talented juniors but there needs to be a healthy balance of juniors and established QUALITY first graders. Smith said last year, he would start "buying off the shelf" and I think you'll find he will already have a few players in mind come June 30. I just hope he goes for QUALITY over QUANTITY this time.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Players have to perform when given their opportunity and both of them have not impressed in the handful of matches they have played in first grade. I have said before that I could be proven wrong but I'm still waiting.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny.

I read throught all the above teams, and these players are all currently contracted to us, we dont need to purchase any more.

Why arn't those guys in first grade now, those teams would perform better than our current first grade.

And below those guys we have our all conquering HM team, our furture looks good.

But currently we are shit.

Eels Supporter

Juniors
Players have to perform when given their opportunity and both of them have not impressed in the handful of matches they have played in first grade. I have said before that I could be proven wrong but I'm still waiting.

Did you not watch any games in 2003? Ash Graham put in week after week, especially when he was moved to fullback. He may have made some errors but there was certainly no lack of effort or heart. To suffer the injury that he did, and to come back now when it was rumoured in some parts that he would never play again, is a pretty amazing effort. And considering he is still only 19 yo, makes it an even more amazing effort. Give him time to find his feet again. I am sure BS did not want to bring him back so soon, but I guess you could say that his hand was forced.

Same goes for Chris Armit. With the limited opportunities Brian Smith has given him he has not really had a chance to SHINE, but he certainly does his bit when called on. I seem to recall both of these boys being stars for NSW Under 19 side two years ago, and Armit did play for the Junior Kangaroos. The talent is there for both of them. Some people obviously know what TALENT is!

Pazza

First Grade
fish eel said:
Its funny.

What about him saying that Vella should play in the centres and Burt at 5/8 :roll: yeah likes thats going to work.

fish eel

Immortal
What about him saying that Vella should play in the centres
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot about that.

That's something Sam from the apprentice would come up with :lol:

Pazza

First Grade
fish eel said:
What about him saying that Vella should play in the centres
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot about that.

That's something Sam from the apprentice would come up with :lol:

and you know what happened to sam! He got fired!!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
They are all just suggestions. I don't shit all over yours. You all do realise that no one cares what we talk about on here. No one of any importance reads this. I come here just to get my ideas out there. If no one here likes them than I don't care. They laughed when Queensland brought back the has been Langer to origin.

Eelectrica

Referee
My team sometime in the future:
1. Sam Jones
2. Eric Grothe Jnr Jnr
3. Gan Dalf
4. Nathan Boyd
5. Ed Dawson
6. Bill Irwin
7. Jamie Marino
8. Steve Rice
9. Ricky Feeley
10. Bruce Lavitita
11. Nathan Hindmarsh Jnr
12. Nick Hindmarsh
13. Frodo Smith

14. Scott Wesley
15. Harry Biggs
16. Reg White
17. Joel Black

Coach: Tim Smith ;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
Looking at just currently contract Eels players who as of round 10 2004 had not played 1st grade THIS YEAR

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Anderson
3. Ben Smith
4. Ashley Graham
5. John Williams/Matt Gruska
6. Michael Witt
7. Tim Smith
8. Josh Cordoba
9. John McKie
10. Weller Hauraki
11. Jack Afamasaga
12. Nathan Armit
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Blake Green
15. Jim Curtis
16. Brendan Oake
17. Joesph Malete

Eels Dude

Coach
Parraren said:
I've noticed that just about all of the sides listed above don't have any players from outside the club. Are you suggesting we don't try and pick up some quality players after June 30?

I'm not doubting that we have alot of young talent in our ranks and they could play a big part in our future success but I doubt very much we can win a premiership with our juniors alone, as good as they might be. Even the Panthers had to look outside their own ranks to win the Premiership last year despite having a wealth of young talent coming through. Do you think the Panthers could have won the comp last year withougt picking up Luke Priddis, Preston Campbell & Martin Lang off the open market? No chance in hell [-(

I'm all for putting faith in some talented juniors but there needs to be a healthy balance of juniors and established QUALITY first graders. Smith said last year, he would start "buying off the shelf" and I think you'll find he will already have a few players in mind come June 30. I just hope he goes for QUALITY over QUANTITY this time.

We shouldn't rely on these important though, the majority of the side should come from our own ranks with a few intelligent purchases from other clubs. Spending 300k on a single player is not a wise move, and at the moment we're in no position to offer a high quality first grader anything but money. Smith has already bought a couple of good players like Cannings and Morris, one or two more young blokes should be it I think.

Latest posts