What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Giteau, Mal tells Raiders

nqboy

First Grade
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18432407-23214,00.html
CANBERRA legend Mal Meninga has implored the Raiders to launch a brazen bid for Australia rugby union sensation Matt Giteau as the club hatches plans for a major recruitment drive.

Meninga's comments came as it was found that the NRL's elite have snubbed the Raiders, with the club failing to sign a State of Origin or Australia representativeplayer for 14 years. Mindful of the need to attract star power, the Raiders made informal inquiries about Giteau's status via father Ron, a former Canberra captain, at the club's season launch last week.

"You guys can't afford him," Ron Giteau joked.

Meninga says the Raiders should have a big-money crack at Giteau regardless. Giteau, who is an attacking dynamo, is unsigned for 2007 and mulling over offers from Australian rugby's four provinces.

"Canberra need to chase quality players from either league or union," Meninga, who played 166 first grade games for the Raiders, said. "It would be a smart move to go after Matt Giteau. He'd be a big success in league. He played his junior football at Canberra, so the transition would be easy. I'd be curious to see how he'd handle it week to week, but I have no doubts he has the talent to make it in the NRL."

Whether Giteau, 23, is prepared to make the switch is another matter. He would have to consider a pay cut of around $200,000 a season to return to the Raiders, with whom he played junior representative league. Throw in the rugby World Cup next year and the chances of him defecting are close to minimal.

"We'd love to have Matt Giteau," Canberra chairman John McIntyre said. "He's a Canberra boy and exactly the type of big-name player we are keen to sign. I had a yarn to Matt's dad at the Raiders launch. It was just informal stuff, but Ron said, 'you simply couldn't afford him'. I'm a realist. I know what these rugby blokes stand to earn. But we are very comfortable under the salary cap this year and we'll be out there aiming for the high-profile blokes."

Despite boasting one of the great club sides in the 1980s and '90s, the Raiders have struggled to attract top-level talent in recent times. Their last significant big-name purchase was former Manly maestro Phil Blake in 1992. Raiders general manager Don Furner said the club is ready to wield the chequebook, starting with former Test centre Jamie Lyon, who will return to Australia next year after a successful stint with St Helens.

"We are conscious of getting a big name and we have a list of targets," Furner said. "Traditionally, it's difficult to attract players. "We are in a competitive market and Sydney clubs tend to have an advantage, which means we have to offer more. "Jamie is one guy we are interested in. We're after a quality centre and we'll have the money to get one."

Meninga said the club's recruitment drive would be bolstered by the signing of a high-profile coach to replace Matt Elliott. "The coach is an important issue for the Raiders," he said.

What do Raiders fans think of this one?

Jordan

Juniors
I reckon he's a great player.. one of the few Union players that impresses me really. He'd probably be asking a bit too much though I'd imagine.

aussies1st

Staff member
He would be an awesome signing but he would cost a fortune to get. Plus I don't think hes even considered league.

griff

Bench
I said the same thing on the Raiders forum, but more people will read it here.

Even if he is a bit of a dud, Giteau playing for the Raiders would bring an extra 5,000 people through the gates every week, which would pay for his contract.

Send him an Origin jumper and a highlights DVD in the mail and get Andrew Johns to give him a call for a "chat" about how Origin is the most intense football in the world and to talk up the challenge and I reckon he would be a big chance of making a switch.

Even if he doesn't, an RL offer would bid up his asking price and force the ARU to pay more to keep him and would be good publicity for the Raiders and RL.

The ARU gets itself plenty of publicity by coming out with rumours all the time about star league players wanting to switch, time for RL to do the same.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Giteaus far from a dud. Great passing and kicking skills , good footwork and is very quick. He would play in the halves in league and would be a great player.

However in saying this, id rather him stay at rugby union as they need him more.

lockyno1

Post Whore
You'd have to fork out a bare minimum of $500,000 a season to get him! That is one big problem! That is just under 1/6th of the etire cap! Very good player but I doubt he would switch anyway.

Mal Meninga

Bench
No way he gives up playing around the world for the Raiders.
He's a former junior anyway, the Raiders were the one who let him go...
But he'd be an awesome coup for us if he did come.
The NRL needs to do something about it too, help steal top line players from the other code. ARU seems to do it quite abit.

nqboy

First Grade
griff said:
Even if he is a bit of a dud, Giteau playing for the Raiders would bring an extra 5,000 people through the gates every week, which would pay for his contract.
I don't think so.

griff said:
Send him an Origin jumper and a highlights DVD in the mail and get Andrew Johns to give him a call for a "chat" about how Origin is the most intense football in the world and to talk up the challenge and I reckon he would be a big chance of making a switch.
Do we want him? Is he even a first choice Wallaby, let alone the best in their game (like Joey is to RL) or a marketing superstar (like Wendell)?

griff said:
Even if he doesn't, an RL offer would bid up his asking price and force the ARU to pay more to keep him and would be good publicity for the Raiders and RL.
Fair point. Just be careful you don't sign him and have to front with the cash.

Big Mick

Referee
NRL should give team's concessions....to get players from Union...just to sh*t the union people.

For instance...only 50% gets included in the salary cap....so you could pay Giteau $600,000 and only $300,000 gets included in the cap.

griff

Bench
nqboy said:
I don't think so.
I really do. In Canberra going to the Brumbies has been the thing to do, while going to the Raiders is seen as a bit bogan. Changing the Raiders image by making it a bit more sought after and desirable would get people to come back to Raiders games instead of going to watch the Brumbies.

The ARU bought up Sailor, Rogers, Tuqiri etc not just because they were good players but also to grow their market by luring in RL fans.

It will work the other way as well, if RL signs up a major RU star then this will lure in RU fans. Canberra is the only city where RU is in front, so this is where RL needs to fight back and gain some of the RU fans.

Do we want him? Is he even a first choice Wallaby, let alone the best in their game (like Joey is to RL) or a marketing superstar (like Wendell)?
He definitely is a marketing superstar. The Canberra Times has Matt Giteau all over it and he is the most sought after player in world rugby.

Fair point. Just be careful you don't sign him and have to front with the cash.
You have to spend money to make money.

Woods99

Juniors
Maybe the Raiders have a new sponsor lined up - the Australian Mint.

They couldn't afford Giteau, simple as that. Whatever the Raiders pay, the ARU would pay at least as much.

I think most fair-minded people would accept that he has a better life as a globe-trotting Wallaby than he would playing in the NRL, and getting his head knocked off every second week. Money would be a secondary issue, but the ARU would not be out-bid.

griff

Bench
"globe" trotting?

The only place he has gone as a Wallaby that he couldn't as a Kangaroo is South Africa, and I'm sure he's pretty bored of there by now after going there every other week.

What about the personal challenge of becoming a dual international, of the cauldron of State of Origin, and of playing week in week out in the world's toughest and most skilful rugby competition, the NRL.

Raider_69

Post Whore
RU is ahead in canberra for one reason and one reason only. Winning.

The last few seasons have been ordinary for the raiders whilst the brumbies have won a few titles and all the rest of it, raiders fans are the first to admitt it, the general (not fanatical) sport loving public in canberra are fickle, they will go one or the other, which ever is winning most. The last few years thats been the brumbies... look at the end of 2003, we were getting close to 20k, because we were successful.

Once we start winning games, the crowds will follow. Giteau wouldnt do anymore for our crowds then a Jamie Lyon or Mark Gasnier etc

nqboy

First Grade
Woods99 said:
I think most fair-minded people would accept that he has a better life as a globe-trotting Wallaby than he would playing in the NRL, and getting his head knocked off every second week.
Is that a reference to real defence as opposed to yawnyawn defence?

I'm sure Giteau would much rather play in front of a gaggle of toothless bogans

YEAH CARN THE TOIGS WOOOOOO STATE AGAINST STATE MATE AGAINST MATE OI OI OI

Latest posts