What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Giteau, Mal tells Raiders

Edwahu

Bench
No NRL club is going to spend a huge chunk of its cap on players who have played in inferior comps and come through inferior development systems. It makes no sense.

Vicious

Bench
Matt Giteau is a freak of a player, i`ve heard an interview in which he said himself that he`s always preferred league, but seeing that it`s only 1 year out from a RU World Cup i very much doubt he`d come to league as much as i`d like to see it. I reckon he`d be very interested in signing a 1 year RU contract to allow him to play in the World Cup before switching, but again i don`t think the ARU officials are that dumb, they`ll put a gun to his head and say that he won`t be selected for the World Cup unless he re-signs for 2 years or more.
If he did or ever does make the switch, as a Wests Tigers supporter i reckon he and Benji would form the most lethal halves combination the game has ever seen, but for the good of rugby league in general i`d love to see him play for his local side the Raiders and it would certainly give rugby league the shot in the arm it needs in the nations capital.

Vicious

Bench
Matt Giteau is a freak of a player, i`ve heard an interview in which he said himself that he`s always preferred league, but seeing that it`s only 1 year out from a RU World Cup i very much doubt he`d come to league as much as i`d like to see it. I reckon he`d be very interested in signing a 1 year RU contract to allow him to play in the World Cup before switching, but again i don`t think the ARU officials are that dumb, they`ll put a gun to his head and say that he won`t be selected for the World Cup unless he re-signs for 2 years or more.
If he did or ever does make the switch, as a Wests Tigers supporter i reckon he and Benji would form the most lethal halves combination the game has ever seen, but for the good of rugby league in general i`d love to see him play for his local side the Raiders and it would certainly give rugby league the shot in the arm it needs in the nations capital.

griff

Bench
Edwahu said:
No NRL club is going to spend a huge chunk of its cap on players who have played in inferior comps and come through inferior development systems. It makes no sense.
Didn't he come through the Queanbeyan Blues RLFC development system?

Unfortunately at the moment you are right. RL clubs are very much lacking in imagination and are very safety first. But if that had always been their attitude, we would have had no Michael O'Connor, no Jonathon Davies, no Arthur Summons etc etc

Raider Azz

Bench
griff said:

Unfortunately at the moment you are right. RL clubs are very much lacking in imagination and are very safety first. But if that had always been their attitude, we would have had no Michael O'Connor, no Jonathon Davies, no Arthur Summons etc etc
Not sure about before high school, but Giteu went to St. Edmunds College (Rugby Union nursery) and played Union for them throughout high school.

Edwahu

Bench
griff said:

Did any of those blokes take up an 8th of a clubs allowed wage bill?

The Observer

Staff member
The Brumbies are about to resign George Smith for $400K per season. This may not include the ARU's top up, which would be another $100-150K. Nevertheless, if the Raiders offered Giteau 400K under the cap (there are NRL stars that get that money), and used the $50K 3rd party sposnorship exemptions from the cap, it would be a serious offer.

russ13

First Grade
In my view his star seems to be fading. He played well a couple of years ago, got injured & has not recouped that form.

He might just be to small for RL at centre. He reminds me of Shaun Berrigan at the Broncos. Nimble & quick when they are young but after a few tough season when the lose that spark they become a bit one-dimensional & maybe just too small for top grade.

Last year there was a joke in the Giteau household that he would be flat out playing NRL reserve grade. This is where he might end up.

At the price he is not worth it on playing ability alone.

aqua_duck

Coach
griff said:
He definitely is a marketing superstar. The Canberra Times has Matt Giteau all over it and he is the most sought after player in world rugby.
I don't know how much you know about rugby but Giteau isn't even a superstar in world rugby. He's a exciting player who's hitr abit of a crossroad in his career I reckon. Nowhere near the class of his all black equivalent in Dan Carter.

The Observer

Staff member
Giteau is a fly half or inside centre. As a good first receiver or second receiver, in League, he'd play halfback then five eighth, and he'd do very well.

Woods99

Juniors
The Observer said:
Giteau is a fly half or inside centre. As a good first receiver or second receiver, in League, he'd play halfback then five eighth, and he'd do very well.

Actually, I have thought for quite a while that Giteau would be more suited to the half-back role for the Wallabies, firstly because there is no stand-out successor to Gregan, and secondly because he is a bit on the slight side for the centres. Plus, the sort of broken field breaks that he is capable of would be devastating if they happened close to the ruck, with a couple of loose forwards backing him up.

As for comparisons with Dan Carter, I would say he is certainly in the same ball park.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
I think most fair-minded people would accept that he has a better life as a globe-trotting Wallaby than he would playing in the NRL, and getting his head knocked off every second week.
As opposed to a fat turd raking studs down your back. I don’t know which would be the most exciting about Super 12 or Tri Nations Rugby Touring. Visiting boring Hamilton or locked up in a hotel room on Cape Town
Woods99 said:
Money would be a secondary issue, but the ARU would not be out-bid.
Just like Andrew Johns?

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:
As opposed to a fat turd raking studs down your back. I don’t know which would be the most exciting about Super 12 or Tri Nations Rugby Touring. Visiting boring Hamilton or locked up in a hotel room on Cape Town

Just like Andrew Johns?

GM,

Oh, dear. More bile. Look mate, Andrew Johns should have been prepared to back himself. He would be on a Wallabies contract by now, and having the time of his little life. Now he will never, ever know how good he could have been.

France 2007? Wouldn't you like to be there? Or would downtown Campbelltown be more your go?

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
GM,

Oh, dear. More bile. Look mate, Andrew Johns should have been prepared to back himself. He would be on a Wallabies contract by now, and having the time of his little life. Now he will never, ever know how good he could have been.

France 2007? Wouldn't you like to be there? Or would downtown Campbelltown be more your go?

Andrew Johns back himself in the Rah Rah's? Is George Grogan still running around? Who won the local derby between the Margaret River Reds and Queensland Reds at the weekend? Pretty high standard footy?

Bile was what I was thinking as well Woods. Similar to the type Wendell brings up on fun filled tour of South Africa. Andrew could have been doing the same thing, instead of playing serious football with the Knights.

Woods, I know you and John Connelly think the NRL is played in Campbelltown and you like to mention it like it some sort of trump card, so here is the full list of NRL games for this season at Campbelltown:

Round 6 Sharks
Round 10 Knights
Round 23 Raiders

That is a grand total of three games Woods.

I would probably looking at the 2009 Rugby League Tri Nations Tournament in England and France

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Wristy McSlashalot said:
Parraeels Layin Down The Law

Knob, you always pop into threads and put down RL, you and your mate woods put RL down daily on Planet Union, are you going to deny this?

I'd rather take my chances in Green acre than any Sth african city.

Atleast when teams come to Australia, they can get out and enjoy themselves, yet most people who go to SA for s14, lock themselves up, wonder why?

Latest posts