What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Giteau, Mal tells Raiders

Daza_06

Juniors
Would make a good signing but where are they going to put him.
Halves would be top of the list but they have the top 2 young halves in the league in Zilliman and Carney. Although they dont have much experinence i have confidence these two players can make the future for the Raiders.
Hooker would likely to be the nxt option and that position i think wouldnt suit him as one of the best abilities he has is his kicking game.
Centre is another option but i think these days centres need to be a bit bigger than his frame. Wouldnt be a sucess in that position.

I don't know what position he would play with the halves the Raiders have for the future. Better off going with a centre such as Jamie Lyon or Willie Tonga who are already established players. Matt Giteau would make a good utility player but if he was to come to league he would have to play in the halves.

Maybe the roosters should go after him.:lol: :lol: :lol:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The Tigers need a halfback next season.

I don't watch much rugby, because it's sh1t - is he any good?

6: Marshall, 7:Giteau

??

lockyno1

Post Whore
hybrid_tiger said:
The Tigers need a halfback next season.

I don't watch much rugby, because it's sh1t - is he any good?

6: Marshall, 7:Giteau

??

ZERO chance of next year. The World Cup for Union is on and he wouldn't miss it. Year after is a possibility but don't count on it! You need to offer him $500,000 base contract, with a $100-150,000 top up from sponsors! Union can do this, but under the salary cap league has you need to be Joey Johns or Lockyer to command that sort of money.

shiznit

Coach
how funny. your deadset dreaming if you think Giteau is on the same level as Dan Carter. if league in NZ got Dan Carter than that would be the coup of the century. that would take NZ league into the next level. hes almost the perfect footballer. he is quite rightly known as "the perfect 10". the guy does not have any flaws in his game at all. i really wish he did, it would make the rest of us feel abit better about ourselves....

PB

Bench
lockyno1 said:
ZERO chance of next year. The World Cup for Union is on and he wouldn't miss it. Year after is a possibility but don't count on it! You need to offer him $500,000 base contract, with a $100-150,000 top up from sponsors! Union can do this, but under the salary cap league has you need to be Joey Johns or Lockyer to command that sort of money.

Wasn't there a rule about players coming from rugby not coming under the cap. I know it wasn't exactly that, but something to that affect.

As for the comparison between Giteau and Carter. Giteau is capable of doing the things Carter does, but not with the consistancy that Carter can deliver.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Git's is probably the only union player (apart from lote) that i would want in league... the guy would make it at NRL level...

Green Machine

First Grade
This bullsh*t about the ARU outbidding any NRL club is fanciful. All the Rah Rah lovers have short memory and seem to forget Braith Anasta being enticed to the Roosters over the Waratahs last year. I remember Danny Weidler writing some garbage about Matt Bowen going over to Rugby Union. If Matt Giteau was serious about playing in the NRL, any club who thought he could make a dramatic improvement as a first receiver, those clubs would be lining up tomorrow with offers.

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:
This bullsh*t about the ARU outbidding any NRL club is fanciful. All the Rah Rah lovers have short memory and seem to forget Braith Anasta being enticed to the Roosters over the Waratahs last year. I remember Danny Weidler writing some garbage about Matt Bowen going over to Rugby Union. If Matt Giteau was serious about playing in the NRL, any club who thought he could make a dramatic improvement as a first receiver, those clubs would be lining up tomorrow with offers.

GM,

Wallabies are centrally contracted by the ARU. If the ARU want to buy and/or retain a player, they have unlimited funds, in addition to whatever the province is able to pay.

During the Johns saga, the ARU was criticised for not offering some extra money to whatever the Waratahs were able to offer. Similarly with Anasta.

Maybe the Tahs wanted them both, but the ARU didn't.

The ARU are now very selective, and rightly so, about enticing players over from the other code. But if they really wanted somebody, money would not be a problem.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
GM,

Wallabies are centrally contracted by the ARU. If the ARU want to buy and/or retain a player, they have unlimited funds, in addition to whatever the province is able to pay.

During the Johns saga, the ARU was criticised for not offering some extra money to whatever the Waratahs were able to offer. Similarly with Anasta.

Maybe the Tahs wanted them both, but the ARU didn't.

The ARU are now very selective, and rightly so, about enticing players over from the other code. But if they really wanted somebody, money would not be a problem.

You are pretty selective with your memory Woods. You seem to forget the so called “Friends of the Waratahs” picking up the tabled offer from Fort Fumble and being outbid for Johns’ services by the rugby league parties. I would doubt that the ARU today would want to take the NRL on in a bidding war. It is amazing if the ARU has unlimited funds as you claim, that so many Rugby Union players choose to go to Europe instead of filling up the two below standard Super 14s teams.
The salary cap for NRL clubs was stalled for 10 years for various reasons. With the new TV deal, it looks like the cap will go up another $1m per club. Third party arrangements are now starting to loosen up. There is no salary cap on second tier players. I sure if any of the rich clubs like the Bulldogs or the Roosters or the Broncos went to the NRL and said they wanted to bring a player in from the ARU, the NRL would clear the decks for them to do so.
John O’Neill has gone Woods. Rugby can revert to being a second tier sport,

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:
You are pretty selective with your memory Woods. You seem to forget the so called “Friends of the Waratahs” picking up the tabled offer from Fort Fumble and being outbid for Johns’ services by the rugby league parties. I would doubt that the ARU today would want to take the NRL on in a bidding war. It is amazing if the ARU has unlimited funds as you claim, that so many Rugby Union players choose to go to Europe instead of filling up the two below standard Super 14s teams.
The salary cap for NRL clubs was stalled for 10 years for various reasons. With the new TV deal, it looks like the cap will go up another $1m per club. Third party arrangements are now starting to loosen up. There is no salary cap on second tier players. I sure if any of the rich clubs like the Bulldogs or the Roosters or the Broncos went to the NRL and said they wanted to bring a player in from the ARU, the NRL would clear the decks for them to do so.
John O’Neill has gone Woods. Rugby can revert to being a second tier sport,

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

When the ARU wants to outbid anybody, they can and will. That is the only point I am making. Of course they do not have unlimited funds. Nobody does.

Once there was a torrent of players being poached from rugby union. Now there are none. The big money, surprisingly, is now in the senior code. Strange old world we live in, isn't it? And it is a world, GM, not just Eastern Australia.

Moffo

Referee
Woods99 said:

When the ARU wants to outbid anybody, they can and will. That is the only point I am making. Of course they do not have unlimited funds. Nobody does.

Once there was a torrent of players being poached from rugby union. Now there are none. The big money, surprisingly, is now in the senior code. Strange old world we live in, isn't it? And it is a world, GM, not just Eastern Australia.

woods, go suck another one you tool! If Leagues club were allowed open slather at players they would sh*t all over the ARU. Parramatta, through their leagues club, could buy every ARU player twice and still have enough energy left over to slap Gary Flowers with $100 bills

Moffo

Referee
Woods99 said:

woods, go suck another one you tool! If Leagues club were allowed open slather at players they would sh*t all over the ARU. Parramatta, through their leagues club, could buy every ARU player twice and still have enough energy left over to slap Gary Flowers with $100 bills

Likely Lad

Juniors
shiznit said:
how funny. your deadset dreaming if you think Giteau is on the same level as Dan Carter. if league in NZ got Dan Carter than that would be the coup of the century. that would take NZ league into the next level. hes almost the perfect footballer. he is quite rightly known as "the perfect 10". the guy does not have any flaws in his game at all. i really wish he did, it would make the rest of us feel abit better about ourselves....

pffft.
Perfect player my ass.
Larkham is twice the player Carter will ever be.

Likely Lad

Juniors
shiznit said:

pffft.
Perfect player my ass.

Likely Lad

Juniors
shiznit said:

pffft.
Perfect player my ass.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Likely Lad said:
pffft.
Perfect player my ass.

I suggest you watch a few Crusaders' games or All Blacks tests! Mark my words, injury free Carter could become the best rugby union player of all time! He doesn't have a weakness. Larkham has a few, notably his inconsitent kicking and the fact that he misses a lot of one on one tackles!

aqua_duck

Coach
Likely Lad said:
pffft.
Perfect player my ass.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WHen Larkham can kick goals like carter, run the ball like carter, tackle like carter and kick the football like carter than maybe he'll be as good. Carer is only 23, and widely regarded as the best player in the world, (IRB player of the year), and unlike a certain skinny Brumbie isn't made of elastic.

Giteau is a poor man's carter, he's got the same sort of skills but not as good, eg he can kick goals but not as good as carter, he can tackle but not as good as carter. Carter is the best inside back in the world, if not the best player in the world, Giteau isn't even the best inside back in Australia.

In my honest opinion Giteau would be another McLinden/Hohaia, and probably the same soft of player as William Zillman anyway.

Latest posts