What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Giteau, Mal tells Raiders

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:
GM,

Oh, dear. More bile. Look mate, Andrew Johns should have been prepared to back himself. He would be on a Wallabies contract by now, and having the time of his little life. Now he will never, ever know how good he could have been.

France 2007? Wouldn't you like to be there? Or would downtown Campbelltown be more your go?

Better the honesty of Campbelltown than the vile, soiled history of rugby union in France.

Likely Lad

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
I suggest you watch a few Crusaders' games or All Blacks tests! Mark my words, injury free Carter could become the best rugby union player of all time! He doesn't have a weakness. Larkham has a few, notably his inconsitent kicking and the fact that he misses a lot of one on one tackles!
I've watched plenty games to know with him in it.

He's a good player, but to say he is perfect is completley ridiculous.
In my opinion Larkham is better, brings more people into the game, with the football in his hands he is pure magic can do anything.
His kicking is solid and so is his tackling.

aqua_duck

Coach
Likely Lad said:
I've watched plenty games to know with him in it.

He's a good player, but to say he is perfect is completley ridiculous.
In my opinion Larkham is better, brings more people into the game, with the football in his hands he is pure magic can do anything.
His kicking is solid and so is his tackling.
Larkham brings more people to the games than Dan Carter???

What exactly is Dan Carter's weaknesses?

Likely Lad

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Larkham brings more people to the games than Dan Carter???

What exactly is Dan Carter's weaknesses?

Has an allrounder, can do everything well.

But since I've been watching rugby Larkham has always amazed me with his brilliance.

But hey, thats my opinion each to there own.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Likely Lad said:
Has an allrounder, can do everything well.

But since I've been watching rugby Larkham has always amazed me with his brilliance.

But hey, thats my opinion each to there own.

Carter can kick field goals on both feet, punt 60 metres regularly, nail 90% of goalkicks, and hardly misses a tackle. Plus he has the vision to run when needed and his passing game is the best in the world! I'd love to know what you think are Carters weaknesses! Larkham is good but is no-where near carter, larkam has a tendacy to miss a few one on ones regularly plus his kicking is terrible at times. Have a look at the Australia-NZ test a few years back in pouring rain! I had never see a worse kicking display from a number 10 till that game. Carter will be the best All-Black no10 of all time, possibly the best player of all time! Larkam is a poor-mans Carter.

Likely Lad

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Carter can kick field goals on both feet, punt 60 metres regularly, nail 90% of goalkicks, and hardly misses a tackle. Plus he has the vision to run when needed and his passing game is the best in the world! I'd love to know what you think are Carters weaknesses! Larkham is good but is no-where near carter, larkam has a tendacy to miss a few one on ones regularly plus his kicking is terrible at times. Have a look at the Australia-NZ test a few years back in pouring rain! I had never see a worse kicking display from a number 10 till that game. Carter will be the best All-Black no10 of all time, possibly the best player of all time! Larkam is a poor-mans Carter.

Best Passing game? No Larkhams is better.
Can kick 60m off both feet? bullsh*t.
Poor mans Carter? Laughable.

Larkham can kick(But with sh*t pack that Aus have had no time to kick)
Can tackle good for a man his size.
He can find gaps where no one else could.

Like I've said Carter is a good allround player, but doesn't have Larkhams wizadry.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Likely Lad said:
Best Passing game? No Larkhams is better.
Can kick 60m off both feet? bullsh*t.
Poor mans Carter? Laughable.

Larkham can kick(But with sh*t pack that Aus have had no time to kick)
Can tackle good for a man his size.
He kind find gaps where no one else could.

Like I've said Carter is a good allround player, but doesn't have Larkhams wizadry.

If you think Carters' passing game is worse than Larkhams, you have not watched Dan Carter mate! Heck the best in the Wallabies' side is either Giteau or Rogers. I said Carter has kicked field goals of both feet! His general kicking is so much better than Larkams. Larkam misses a lot of tackles. He is just lucky that he has Mortlock in the side so he can cover for him. Compare that to Carter who is the same size and hardly misses a tackle. Yes he finds gaps, hey I've got news for you so does Carter and probally more regularly! Larkam is only about 2/3 the player Carter is and that is being generous to Larkam! Plus Carter is only 23!

Likely Lad

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
If you think Carters' passing game is worse than Larkhams, you have not watched Dan Carter mate! Heck the best in the Wallabies' side is either Giteau or Rogers. I said Carter has kicked field goals of both feet! His general kicking is so much better than Larkams. Larkam misses a lot of tackles. He is just lucky that he has Mortlock in the side so he can cover for him. Compare that to Carter who is the same size and hardly misses a tackle. Yes he finds gaps, hey I've got news for you so does Carter and probally more regularly! Larkam is only about 2/3 the player Carter is and that is being generous to Larkam! Plus Carter is only 23!

I've watched Carter plenty and if you think his passing is better than Larkhams then you clearly haven't seenLarkham play.

I've seen Larkham live quite a few times and his kicking is better than people think and his tackling is fine.

Larkham played a big hand in the Wallabies being such a great team from 99-01 era.

Carter with all due respect is not fit to lace Larkhams boots.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Likely Lad said:
I've watched Carter plenty and if you think his passing is better than Larkhams then you clearly haven't seenLarkham play.

I've seen Larkham live quite a few times and his kicking is better than people think and his tackling is fine.

Larkham played a big hand in the Wallabies being such a great team from 99-01 era.

Carter with all due respect is not fit to lace Larkhams boots.

So how was Larkams kicking in the Bledisloe Cup match in NZ a few years ago! Yes is was raining but that was the WORST display of kicking I have seen let see...um EVER in any sport and that includes Carlton in the AFL! It was shocking! That is no how a five eigth kicks!

As for takling I saw him miss a few lst week and the weeks in South Africa! If you think he is a good defender you are kidding! He is lucky he has good defenders outside him to cover his mistakes!

As for him playing a big hand well of course he did, but it also helped to have Kefu, Burke, Horan, Little, etc who were all great players!

Woods99

Juniors
Calixte said:
Better the honesty of Campbelltown than the vile, soiled history of rugby union in France.

Calixte,

Gee, look at the calendar. It's 2006 already. Where have you been all this time?:lol:

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

When the ARU wants to outbid anybody, they can and will. That is the only point I am making. Of course they do not have unlimited funds. Nobody does.

Once there was a torrent of players being poached from rugby union. Now there are none. The big money, surprisingly, is now in the senior code. Strange old world we live in, isn't it? And it is a world, GM, not just Eastern Australia.

The ARU can’t even outbid European Rugby Union Clubs. Parramatta, Canterbury and Easts Leagues would buy and sell the ARU if they wanted to. It might come as a bit of surprise to you Woods that most of the top bracket NRL players get better offers and better tax advantages to play in Super League.

As Rugby League raced towards fulltime professionalism in the 80’s, wasn’t it surprising that the amount of Rugby Union recruits to NSWRL clubs started to dry up. From my memory, the clubs who participated the most in signing Rugby Union players were looking for instant success. Easts and Penrith are two that come to mind who had a pitiful success rate. It is no surprise that both of these clubs now invest heavily in talent identification and development. Why would the NRL clubs chase over priced – under performing Australian Rugby Union players when they can recruit and develop better kids out of New Zealand. Here is a little light reading for you Woods on what the NRL and looking for and developing:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/muscle-mass-now-an-essential-tool-of-the-players-trade/2006/03/09/1141701635516.html

"We're always trying to recruit larger athletes at a young age, and we're looking for height," explained Canberra's strength and conditioning coach, Carl Jennings. "Because you still need that 100kg man to be able to get around the field for 80 minutes."
Then comes the body armour. "If you're a carpenter, you use the best hammer and chisels; same if you're a sparky. I tell them, 'Guys, the tool of your trade is your body', so at 17 or 18 you've got to start to do an apprenticeship on your body," emphasised Parramatta head trainer Craig Catterick.
"These players are starting their weight programs at a lot earlier age, looking at their nutrition and starting their strength and conditioning programs that are the basis to build upon as they go up through the grades."

Thomas

First Grade
PB said:
Wasn't there a rule about players coming from rugby not coming under the cap. I know it wasn't exactly that, but something to that affect.

Yeah, but only for junior RU players...those under 21 years of age.

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:
The ARU can’t even outbid European Rugby Union Clubs. Parramatta, Canterbury and Easts Leagues would buy and sell the ARU if they wanted to. It might come as a bit of surprise to you Woods that most of the top bracket NRL players get better offers and better tax advantages to play in Super League.

As Rugby League raced towards fulltime professionalism in the 80’s, wasn’t it surprising that the amount of Rugby Union recruits to NSWRL clubs started to dry up. From my memory, the clubs who participated the most in signing Rugby Union players were looking for instant success. Easts and Penrith are two that come to mind who had a pitiful success rate. It is no surprise that both of these clubs now invest heavily in talent identification and development. Why would the NRL clubs chase over priced – under performing Australian Rugby Union players when they can recruit and develop better kids out of New Zealand. Here is a little light reading for you Woods on what the NRL and looking for and developing:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/muscle-mass-now-an-essential-tool-of-the-players-trade/2006/03/09/1141701635516.html

"We're always trying to recruit larger athletes at a young age, and we're looking for height," explained Canberra's strength and conditioning coach, Carl Jennings. "Because you still need that 100kg man to be able to get around the field for 80 minutes."
Then comes the body armour. "If you're a carpenter, you use the best hammer and chisels; same if you're a sparky. I tell them, 'Guys, the tool of your trade is your body', so at 17 or 18 you've got to start to do an apprenticeship on your body," emphasised Parramatta head trainer Craig Catterick.
"These players are starting their weight programs at a lot earlier age, looking at their nutrition and starting their strength and conditioning programs that are the basis to build upon as they go up through the grades."

GM,

I read that article in the Herald. I assume you now accept my assertion, made some time ago, that players are being recruited at the age of 14?

Back to the point of this thread which was about whether or not the ARU would be out-bid for Matt Giteau.

The simple unvarnished truth is that, if the ARU decides it wants a particular player, it will not be outbid.

Copa

Bench
Woods99 said:
The simple unvarnished truth is that, if the ARU decides it wants a particular player, it will not be outbid.
The simple unvarnished truth is that if the NRL and the RL clubs really want a player ... they have the resources to get any player they want...

although it would mean a change to the current system.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
GM,

I read that article in the Herald. I assume you now accept my assertion, made some time ago, that players are being recruited at the age of 14?

Woods, I have never questioned the fact that teenage boys are identified by NRL clubs at the age of 14, 15 or 16. I do not agree with you, that these teenagers are fulltime professional athletes and do not attend school. Physical activity after school does not harm teenagers personal growth.
Woods99 said:
Back to the point of this thread which was about whether or not the ARU would be out-bid for Matt Giteau.

Any evidence of your theory holding water in the last couple of years? I heard an interview with Eddie Jones last season where he visited the Broncos training facility and he said the Broncos have far superior support facilities and support staff to the Wallabies,

Woods99

Juniors
Copa said:
The simple unvarnished truth is that if the NRL and the RL clubs really want a player ... they have the resources to get any player they want...

although it would mean a change to the current system.

Copa,

Errrr. So they can or they can't buy any player they want? I think your answer is no, if I understand you, under the current system.

So we agree for once.:cool:

Copa

Bench
Woods99 said:
Copa,

Errrr. So they can or they can't buy any player they want? I think your answer is no, if I understand you, under the current system.

So we agree for once.:cool:
Not really....

there is so much money in the Oz RL set up nowadays that if the NRL and clubs really wanted someone and all parties agreed... they could get them.

magpie_man

Juniors
Woods99 said:
GM,

well the nrl clubs could take a leaf out of the private schools' books, i guess, who force their students to show up in their own time for the honour of representing their school in the game they play in heaven...

Woods99

Juniors
Copa said:
Not really....

there is so much money in the Oz RL set up nowadays that if the NRL and clubs really wanted someone and all parties agreed... they could get them.

Copa,

If the NRL, the clubs, and "all parties" ever agree on anything, you win.

But if there's so much money floating around, why all the fuss about the increase in poker machine tax? And why does South Sydney have to sell itself, with their Chief Executive in today's paper saying that he is focussed on paying next Friday's wages? What, exactly, am I missing in this wonderful story of financial plenitude?

Meanwhile, talking about "all parties" agreeing, what's the latest on the 2008 RLWC?

Latest posts