What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Bench
Maybe Millward will do a raid on the Toronto Wolfpack, there must be someone cheap.
That will be the recruitment plan look at players that clubs are getting rid of, that is recruitment 101 with our club.

possm

Coach
McGregor "finally" has the "team he wants", now we are (rumouredly) unloading players left, right and centre (I wish it was a couple of centres).

Supposedly gone or been tapped from our current top 30 roster:
Robson, Kerr, Timm, K. Sims, Host, Leilua and Latimore, that's 7 players we need to replace
Plus, young Masters from the DS.

A couple of us, a few weeks ago now, did mention things were going to get worse and I don't believe the names listed are the end to it.
I hope it's wrong and these whispers and rumours are false, but the drum is beating rather loudly, and not in our favour.

You'll note that ALL those mentioned are forwards (barring Masters). K.Sims, I have to say is a new one on the list that I hadn't heard before and surprising given his only been here like 1yr, maybe his brothers form has something to do with it as well.

Sad times ahead I fear.
I'd say that Robson, Timm, Host, Masters and Latimore are moving on. In addition I'd like to see Aitken, Lafai, Maranta, Field, Dufty and Allgood move on.

If all of the above players move on we have enough cap to buy Ramien and RCG and possibly a good left centre. Our first 17 would be:

1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Ramien
4. Ravalawa or a new centre
5. Pearson or a new winger
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. RCG
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Leilua

14. K Sims
15. Graham
16. Lawrie
17. Ford

With either Toovey or Griffin as head coach we have a good first 17 and still plenty of room to buy some good depth. If De Belin is acquitted, then Leilua drops back to the bench and Ford drops back to reserve garde..

The calm one

Juniors
I'd say that Robson, Timm, Host, Masters and Latimore are moving on. In addition I'd like to see Aitken, Lafai, Maranta, Field, Dufty and Allgood move on.

If all of the above players move on we have enough cap to buy Ramien and RCG and possibly a good left centre. Our first 17 would be:

1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Ramien
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. RCG
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Leilua

14. K Sims
15. Graham
16. Lawrie
17. Ford

With either Toovey or Griffin as head coach we have a good first 17 and still plenty of room to buy some good depth. If De Belin is acquitted, then Leilua drops back to the bench and Ford drops back to reserve garde..
Forget the coach thing it ain't happening. What you got now is what you get next year

j0nesy

Bench

1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Ramien
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. RCG
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Leilua

14. K Sims
15. Graham
16. Lawrie
17. Ford

Dufty and Field are much better footballers that Pearson and both have a lot more potential than him too. Pearson is abhorrent, not quite as bad as Maranta but not far off. It’s a shame that Timm has been let go. Leading forward in the CC and top of almost all the forward stats. Absolutely ridiculous.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Can't we get a scout who can identify the next good thing go hunting in the lower grades of other clubs. We aren't producing much must be someone out there who wants a NRL gig.
I know what the answers will be but willing to have a laugh with you all.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Papanhuyzen is about the same size as Dufty and not as fast according to the NRL stats, how come he looks so much better? And don’t say Craig Bellamy.......

possm

Coach
Can't we get a scout who can identify the next good thing go hunting in the lower grades of other clubs. We aren't producing much must be someone out there who wants a NRL gig.
I know what the answers will be but willing to have a laugh with you all.
I believe we had Garrick and Herbert as next best things in positions that we really needed some competition. We let them go and then we let go Robson, Timm, Masters and probably Kerr. All of these players could have done well at SGI under a good coach.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I'm not getting the love affair with Pearson. He's been very disappointing in his 1st grade appearances this year, but I see many put him in their teams. Why???

These are the current stats of the wingers this season:

Pearson:
7 games
1 try
1 line break
11 tackle breaks
85% tackle efficiency
108.5 average running metres

Periera:
11 games
5 try's
6 line breaks
64 tackle breaks
81% tackle efficiency
137.4 average running metres

Ravalawa:
16 games
10 try's
10 line breaks
47 tackle breaks
62% tackle efficiency
121.7 average running metres

Again, I cant see how Pearson is a superior winger and maybe thats why hes been dropped to CC.

I still think Rava would make a great centre and given the stats above Periera should be on 1 wing with Saab on the other (assuming they upgrade his contract lol).

Thanks for the analysis and thoughts.
Pearson looks like a natural winger, but is yet to prove it. I guess that’s why people have such diverse thoughts on him. Rava has mistakes in him and is still learning, but has real potential... 62% tackle efficiency is concerning, but clearly something he can work on and improve.
- based on all this you can either play them in cc or bet on them and back them.

Personally I am much more taken with Pereira, and the stats tend to back that up, even if the up side may not be as high as the others. However, the difference in engagement though is the huge thing for me. Somebody with his attitude is worth more to me than some potential. In my opinion potential can be built in cc, and when ready, they can replace him based on runs on the board. In the meantime he sets an attitude in approach that can be contagious.

qld redvee

Juniors
If Host K simms Luc and Lats and Timms have been tapped on shoulder , widdop and robson gone thats 7 out of top 30 already . Interesting that our 2 main problems havent been tapped ( Lafai and Aitken ) looks like everybody else is the problem . and why the clean out when supercoach proclaimed Best squad Ive ever coached ( and it is his team he wants - last couple of years been his team )
Players dont improve juniors arent brought through one overriding cause _ COACHING STAFF..
And if we are right on the cap what type of player(s) can we afford to get - thats right perrett who is killing it in cc BUT cant get a top 17 spot sounds like what will turn us around ( not)
anyway hopefully the clean out includes are centres of non excellence
lets see how we go today go the mighties

getsmarty

Immortal
If Host K simms Luc and Lats and Timms have been tapped on shoulder , widdop and robson gone thats 7 out of top 30 already . Interesting that our 2 main problems havent been tapped ( Lafai and Aitken ) looks like everybody else is the problem . and why the clean out when supercoach proclaimed Best squad Ive ever coached ( and it is his team he wants - last couple of years been his team )
Players dont improve juniors arent brought through one overriding cause _ COACHING STAFF..
And if we are right on the cap what type of player(s) can we afford to get - thats right perrett who is killing it in cc BUT cant get a top 17 spot sounds like what will turn us around ( not)
anyway hopefully the clean out includes are centres of non excellence
lets see how we go today go the mighties

The funny thing is Timm is killing it in CC...yet can't get a run .........LOL

McGregor needs more Big Bodies for his "Power Game "....We all know how that is going to end....seen the movie now for 6 years.