What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for next season

roopy

Referee
I'll keep this thread at the top of the list so we can talk about signings during the off season.

We have tied up a lot of our juniors like Young, Lowrie, Tanner and Snowden are all ones I've heard.

We have signed S Witt from Parra.

The rumour is that we will soon sign Russell Richarson from Souths.

It is said that Michael Hagan may offer a small contract to one of his favourites, Jarod O'Doherty, who went to England at the end of last season but didn't like it and played out this season on the Gold Coast.

Two guys in the local comp who are in talks with the Knights are Rosella and NSW country fullback Trent Salkeld and Terrace centre George Carmont. Salkeld is a Tamworth boy who moved to Newcastle 3 years ago to try out for the Knights juniors and stayed on at Wests when he didn't make it. Carmont is a big and fast centre with a high workrate who is having his first season in Australia. He is from NZ.

One wild rumour I have heard is that Darren Albert wants to come back, but he would never fit under the salary cap. (be great to have him though)

Kiwi

First Grade
S Witt is a good buy. Could we see Witt and Gidley in the halves when Johns leaves? Would soften the blow of losing Johns if we did see it.

Just a quick question or two Roopy my good man.

When is Johns contract up?

Do you think the Knights will offer him a new contract when it's up for less money or the same, or one at all?

Same questions with Kennedy.

I ask because Johns is getting on, and Kennedy is injury prone. And with the likes of Abraham, K Gidley, and now Witt at the club, they have the players to replace them and build a team around in the next few years.

roopy

Referee
Kiwi said:
S Witt is a good buy. Could we see Witt and Gidley in the halves when Johns leaves? Would soften the blow of losing Johns if we did see it.

Just a quick question or two Roopy my good man.

Do you think the Knights will offer him a new contract when it's up for less money or the same, or one at all?

I ask because Johns is getting on, and Kennedy is injury prone. And with the likes of Abraham, K Gidley, and now Witt at the club, they have the players to replace them and build a team around in the next few years.

Both Johns and Kennedy have one year to run on their contracts. Kennedy was talking about not playing next season when he was out with his shoulder injury early in the season, but he looks like finishing next season before calling it quits.

Johns is a hard one to answer. Obviously, he is worth every penny we pay him, but the salary cap makes it near impossible to offer him the same kind of money for 2005. He has always said he would like to play in England before he retires, for Wigan, and I think he could make double the money we can give him if he decides to do that.

The money we now pay Johns could buy 2 star players or 4 good firstgraders in todays market - or more correctly, we could use the money to keep those players - like we wouldn't have to lose guys like Jobson, Quigley and whoever else we lose before next season.

In conclusion - if Johns stays we will continue to build a winning team around him - if he goes we will use the money to have a lot more depth in the squad - it is all good.

roopy

Referee
I think he will at least train with the team in the off season.
He has nothing to lose, and he might get a chance at rebuilding his career.

If he plays reggies he will chuck it in early next season i think, so it wouldn't be worthwhile to him or the club if he wasn't a realistic chance at firstgrade.

antonius

Coach
Just on Quigley, Gary Harley was saying on 2HD last night that the Broncos are not signing him, so the Knights are trying to work a way of keeping him at the club for another year so he can keep his profile up? Pretty ordinary when a young guy like him, who would be a better prospect than some first grade hookers going around can't secure a club because of the salary cap isn't it?

roopy

Referee
antonius said:
Just on Quigley, Gary Harley was saying on 2HD last night that the Broncos are not signing him, so the Knights are trying to work a way of keeping him at the club for another year so he can keep his profile up? Pretty ordinary when a young guy like him, who would be a better prospect than some first grade hookers going around can't secure a club because of the salary cap isn't it?
The same thing happened to Ben Donaldson. He was playing a fair bit of firstgrade but was cut basically to make way for John Morris and Quigley, and he has now played two years of real NRL. He has had nibbles from Souths last year and Wests this year, but just can't get a run, despite being a firstgrade standard player.
Donaldson has even been playing second row in the hope that he might get a run in that position, because he is an 'unfashionably large' hooker.

I think it is even worse than seeing our players taken from us by the salary cap to see perfectly good players thrown on the scrapheap.

Kiwi

First Grade
roopy said:
He has always said he would like to play in England before he retires, for Wigan, and I think he could make double the money we can give him if he decides to do that.

The money we now pay Johns could buy 2 star players or 4 good firstgraders in todays market - or more correctly, we could use the money to keep those players - like we wouldn't have to lose guys like Jobson, Quigley and whoever else we lose before next season.

This too me looks the best option for the Knights, not because I wanna see the back of him, but because if he stays the Knights may lose alot more of their young up and comers than what they are losing already. And if that happens the Knights will really struggle for a few years after Johns leaves.

Much like the Roosters and Fittler, the Knights to me look better placed than they ever have been to replace Johns at the end of 2004. leaving it a nother year or two may improve it more, but chances are they'll go backwards in terms of replacing johns and lose more players.

If Russell Richardson doesn't sign with the Knights, he will most certainly play with the Rosellas next year. Wests are hunting high and low for centres, and a mate of mine from Central has already been approached with a BIG sign-on fee and TRIPLE match payments from what he's getting this year. Come on Knights, give Richardson a go! :)

MacDougall has had a match payment contract given to his manager, so after his wahooing about playing for match payments should see him stay. O'Davis was also given the same offer he was made a few weeks ago. Look for more whinging from him this week.

I think O'Doherty would be a waste of a spot. They need to start developing some replacements for the guys getting older. Number one priority is the halves of course. But a decent fullback and a centre or two will be needed soon.

roopy

Referee
Danish Moo Cow said:
I think O'Doherty would be a waste of a spot. They need to start developing some replacements for the guys getting older. Number one priority is the halves of course. But a decent fullback and a centre or two will be needed soon.
I think they don't need any more forwards, but O'Doherty might be a special case because he will play for virtualy nothing and he has yet to reach his potential IMO. His leg injury in 2001 meant that he never got back to his physical peak till the end of 2002, when he was a regular firstgrader, and he never got the game time to show what he is capable of (if that makes any sense). I think we have a chance to pick up a first grade prop for nothing, which has to be a bargain, even if he plays reggies all year.

roopy

Referee
According to today's Telegraph (Barry Toohey) we are on track to sign O'Davis, Doogs and Richardson for next year.
Mark Sargeant should get a Xmas bonus if he can pull that off.

It might be time to ask some players to take a pay cut. The elder statesmen will start negotiating soon, and they know they're in a not entirely different situation to MacDougall. They're injury prone and getting older. MacDougall made a sacrifice, and most likely O'Davis will have to do likewise if he stays. It's time for Kennedy and Johns to show just how much the club means to them.

WhiteKnight

Juniors
roopy said:
Kiwi said:
S Witt is a good buy.

Both Johns and Kennedy have one year to run on their contracts.
Johns is a hard one to answer. Obviously, he is worth every penny we pay him, but the salary cap makes it near impossible to offer him the same kind of money for 2005. He has always said he would like to play in England before he retires, for Wigan, and I think he could make double the money we can give him if he decides to do that.

WHY does the Salary Cap make retaining Johns hard? We can continue to pay him what we already do.. for another 2 or 3 years... We lost exported Rudder and are paying Robbie O (1/4) of what we used to AND MacDougall Match payments.. so WHY cant we keep players? Dont blame the Saalry Cap - Just poor management

Hey, you sound familiar.

Anyway, MacDougall is still getting part of his contract payed out next year, Josh Perry wanted a raise and Witt had to be payed. Then there's any number of little people that had to be re-signed during the year and there's still Quigley to be worked out.

Alex28

Coach
lol DMC...

Fittler took a cut for next year at the Roosters, no excuse why Joey cant do it for 2005. I doubt we have to worry about retaining Kennedy for 2005 - but I cant see him playing anywhere else even if he does. He seems pretty settled in Newie.

I could imagine Kennedy taking a cut - probably the same wih Joey when push comes to shove...

Anonymous

Juniors
antonius said:

STOP using this salary cap thing as AN EXCUSE.. EVERY Team works within the same rules and cap limits so there is a level playing field.. Unless some greedy and unscrupolous administrators.. we wont name Ken or Michael here.... think they are above the rules!

So IF they didnt buy Witt they could keep Quigley.. they freed up almost $200k with Rudder.. saved $200k or $300k on Robbie O and have also saved about $250k on MacDougall.... so where is this 750K being spent? Not all on Witt I can assure you AND these junior players we keep hearing we sign up are not even in the top tier 25 players so the money they spend there isnt included in the cap and most of the time is like $20k a throw.....

Maybe they are just wanting to get below the cap (in reality) for the first time since 1996?

princess plj

Juniors
i was just thinking that that some of our top players may need to take a pay cut. and like freddy did for the roosters i am sure some of our players will do the same......well hopefully!

quick sticks

Juniors
roopy said:
The rumour is that we will soon sign Russell Richarson from Souths.

One wild rumour I have heard is that Darren Albert wants to come back, but he would never fit under the salary cap. (be great to have him though)

Hope we do get Richardson, would be a better player when he has quality around him like Tahu,Gidley, Doogs. Souths have not helped him. If he does signs he will be playing somewhaere in 1st grade i hope.
As for Albert have not heard much lately but , a few months back i was talking to a friend of his from Scone who said he had meet an English girl resigned for a few years and was loving life in England. So i don`t think he will be back anytime soon.

Latest posts