What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for next season

roopy

Referee
rourkster said:
[

Well DMC, Roopy's assessment of Tyrie was obviously the better thought out than simply labelling him ordinary without justification. He has represented NSW U/19's and has previously been approached by the Eels and Roosters. He must have something going for him.

I have watched Tyrie go around for a few seasons, and I have to say his form this year was bad, especially for a guy who has looked as good as him in the past.

I can remember watching games in 2001 where he just dominated the field. You may remember that Andrew Johns was introducing the banana kick in 2001, but if you wanted to see it done really well, Tyrie was doing it better in Flegg, same with the kick to the winger that Johns used to do with Albert and the spiralling bomb that Johns does. Tyrie was doing them all, and often before Johns pulled them out of the bag in firstgrade.

In 2002 I thought Tyrie started to believe his own publicity and he, Luke Dureau and Shaun Wallace got far too clever and tried to do every play between the three of them, which totally wasted a great backline we had in Flegg in 2002 (starved them of the ball). We had Ryan Milligan, Michael Young, Luke Mercer, Jermaine Ale and Matt Lantry all just cooling their heals on the outside while Tyrie, Dureau and Wallace did all these clever moves which didn't work because everyone knew they just had to mark those three guys.

Tyrie has obviously been dropped from the role of playmaker this year, and he didn't look any good at all till the last month or so when he started to kick and run a bit.

rourkster

Juniors
I've been watching Chris since he was a junior with South Newcastle and I certainly don't agree with DMC's assessment. He has lots to offer the Knights and will come good again. Don't write him off just yet.
And I don't think it's a case of "believing his own publicity". He didn't get much for starters and if you know the bloke it's more a case of lack of confidence at the moment rather than the other way round.

roopy

Referee
rourkster said:
And I don't think it's a case of "believing his own publicity". .
I was talking about the 2002 season with that comment. I know he must have a good brain and must be a level headed bloke by the way the coaching staff have always put a lot of faith in him, but I think he started to be a bit selfish in his play in 2002, and I think that was because too many people were putting big wraps on him and he believed he was the guy to do things, rather than use the other good players around him.
Anyway, all that went out the window this year when he seems to have come back to earth with a thud. You never know, this year might be good for him in the long run. He might have needed to do it tough for a year to make him want to work harder and eventually achieve more.

Nuffy

Bench
I would like to see them at least talk to Ben Walker and ......... Carl Webb.... I wouldn't like to see them shell out huge cabbage for either of them, maybe give them a opportunity to restart their careers.

Carl Webb would be brilliant off the bench and IMO Jr burger isn't the answer at 5/8

roopy

Referee
According to Brett Keeble in todays Herald we have signed Fitzgerald, Carmont, Bartlett, Fortier, Smith, Nolan, Tolar and are still talking to Richarson, Jaques and Rosellas prop Dave Goodridge.

To test out my memory (and I'm bound to forget someone), here is the squad for next year as it stands.

Backs;
O'Davis
Tahu
M Gidley
Hughes
Quinn
Hall
Salkeld
Carmont
Josh Smith
Young
Fortier
Brown
Kevin Henderson
?Richardson

Halves;
Johns
Kidley
Witt
Tyrie
Bates

Hookers;
Buderus
Quigley
Ennis

Forwards;
Ben Kennedy
Simmo
Abes
Perry
Parsons
Woolnough
Matt Kennedy
Todd Lowrie
Fitzgerald
Tanner
Mueller
Price
Newton
Nolan
Tolar
Bartlett
?Jaques
?Goodridge
?Esatheo

All in all, a squad with a lot of promise. Next years Premier League side will be twice as good as this year's, but I'm still convinced Smith must have something he can blackmail Hagan with - how else would he still have a spot?

roopy

Referee
Two teams;
O'Davis
Tahu
Gidley
Hughes
Quinn
Kidley
Johns
BK
Simmo
Abes
Parso
Buderus
Perry

Woolnough
Fitzgerald
Price
Ennis

Premier League

Young
Hall (played a season of firstgrade)
Richardson (much firstgrade experience - played for Australia)
Riley Brown (NSW u 19 rep player)
Kevin Henderson (not sure - may have played firstgrade for Souths)
Witt (a few games of firstgrade)
Tyrie
Lowrie (several firstgrade games)
Newton (a few seasons of firstgrade)
Mueller (a few firstgrade games)
Tanner (several firstgrade games)
Quigley ( a season of firstgrade)
Matt Kennedy (several firstgrade games)

Esatheo (several firstgrade games)
Tolar
Jaques
Bartlett

At the start of the season just finished I think the only guy in the Premier League side who had played firstgrade was Josh Smith, and he had played only about 5 games.

Salkeld
Josh Smith
Fortier
Carmont
Bates
Nolan
?Goodridge

aqua_duck

Coach
Steve Witt has yet to make his 1st grade debut but if there is a vacancy in the halves in the top grade he could easil fit in. I also would like to see Dane Tilse in premier league. Has Jared Taylor gone?

roopy

Referee
aqua_duck said:
Steve Witt has yet to make his 1st grade debut but if there is a vacancy in the halves in the top grade he could easil fit in. I also would like to see Dane Tilse in premier league. Has Jared Taylor gone?
I don't know what is happening with Taylor, Gavin Quinn, Shaun Wallace, Luke Dureau, Hampson, Tim Maddison and a few other guys.

I'd like to see Tilse, Worth, White, Mercer and maybe Young, Brown and maybe even Ennis start the year in Flegg. The Flegg comp goes for the whole season next year and has been raised to an u20 age limit (from u19). Instead of Tilse getting 20 minutes or so per game, i'd like to see him play for 60 or more minutes and really build up match fitness before he goes up to Premier League. I think Snowden, Ison, Wooden, Andriessen and Marriot would make up an outstanding forward pack with Tilse, Worth, White and Ennis, that pack should win us a Flegg title I reckon.

antonius

Coach
Reading yesterdays paper Ennis is quoted as saying he has his eye on a first grade bench spot next season as a utilty something similar to Morris's role a couple of years ago, Ennis is one bloke the Knights must ensure they keep.

roopy

Referee
Latest signing is Hill. With him added I see the top two sides like this.

O'Davis
Tahu
Gidley
Hughes
Quinn
Kidley
Johns
BK
Simmo
Abes
Parso
Buderus
Perry

Woolnough (prop)
Fitzgerald (lock/second row)
Price (second row/prop)
Ennis (hooker/backline utility)

Premier League

Young
Hall (played a season of firstgrade)
Richardson (much firstgrade experience - played for Australia)
Riley Brown (NSW u 19 rep player)
Kevin Henderson (not sure - may have played firstgrade for Souths)
Witt
Tyrie
Lowrie (several firstgrade games)
Newton (a few seasons of firstgrade)
Mueller (a few firstgrade games)
Tanner (several firstgrade games)
Quigley ( a season of firstgrade)
Matt Kennedy (several firstgrade games)

Esatheo (several firstgrade games) (prop/second row)
Tolar (prop)
Hill (has played firstgrade) (prop/second row)
Bartlett (lock/second row)

At the start of the season just finished I think the only guy in the Premier League side who had played firstgrade was Josh Smith, and he had played only about 5 games.

Jaques (lock/second row)
Salkeld (fullback/winger)
Josh Smith (winger)
Fortier (winger)
Carmont (centre)
Bates (5/8/lock)
Nolan (prop)
Goodridge (prop)

roopy

Referee
According to today's paper Luke Dureau and Gavin Quinn will go to Terrace and Todd Bates and Jarod O'Doherty will go to the Rosellas. They also said Ben Donaldson is retiring, which is sad. He should have been a firstgrader for sure.

Bates had it coming. The writing was on the wall with so many halves signed up.

Did you see the try-outs today at Empire Park? A few porkers in amongst them but they will be trimmed by halved by the time trials start in January/February.

Bluebag

Juniors
I think Richo will do well at the Knights with a professional, positive environment and team players around him. He has a terrific attitude no matter what and is a terrific clubman. He will enjoy life after Souths.

antonius

Coach
Bluebag said:
He will enjoy life after Souths.

HaHa, Who Wouldn't??
I really hope he can get back to somewhere near his Cronulla form, if he does that he will be a great acquisition for the Knights. A big rampaging centre is something we haven't had since Doogs was playing at his top there.

Latest posts