What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simmo set to punch on if body holds up

Pumba

First Grade
Simmo set to punch on if body holds up
BY BRETT KEEBLE

KNIGHTS veteran Steve Simpson will be guided by his body during the opening rounds of next season before deciding if he has another National Rugby League campaign left in him.

The 30-year-old former NSW and Australian back-rower comes off contract at the end of next year but, if he can avoid any serious injuries, is keen to keep playing in 2011.

After playing only 12 matches in 2008, Simpson was restricted to just 16 appearances this year but, along the way, became only the sixth player in Knights history to reach 200 games and wants to finish his career wearing blue and red.

"If I'm holding up all right, I'd definitely like to play another year, but it's something I haven't put a whole heap of thought into just yet," Simpson said after Knights training yesterday.

"I just want to get out there and train as well as I can in the pre-season and be injury-free, and that's going pretty well so far."

Unlike some of his contemporaries, including friends and former teammates Danny Buderus and Matt Gidley, Simpson does not feel compelled to finish his career in England.

When the time is right to retire, he is more likely to retreat to his Hunter Valley property with his wife, Jacqui, and raise their young family in a peaceful, rural setting.

"I suppose that's always an option, to head over that way, but I'm pretty happy here," he said.

"All of our family is here . . . so we'll see how it goes. But if the body's feeling all right and I'm playing well, another year here would be the No.1 priority.

"I'll just let a few things unfold and see how everything's going, but when the time's right, the time's right I don't think we can put a time on it."

Coach Rick Stone and strategic development manager Keith Onslow agreed there was no deadline they were working to regarding settling Simpson's future.

"With Simmo, it's about him enjoying his footy, and I've given him and Doogs a little bit of flexibility.

"As our two senior players, they've probably earned the right to do a little bit of modified training, but they're all there at our main sessions.

"We're looking forward to seeing Simmo with a smile on his face and enjoying his footy and having every opportunity to weigh up his future in his own time."

Simpson would not criticise former coach Brian Smith but said he was enjoying the more relaxed atmosphere during Stone's first off-season in charge.

Stone and high-performance manager Lee Clark have had the whole-hearted workhorse on light duties since training kicked off this month, and he will continue that regimen to ensure he starts next season running on fresh legs.

"I think Stoney's a breath of fresh air in the place," Simpson said.

"It's great to have such a great leader as himself, because he's got an easygoing nature. But when he needs to pull the reins he pulls them, and everyone respects him for that and appreciates it.

"Stoney and Clarky have been great to work with.

"They've been lenient as to what sessions I do and don't do, just leaving it up to me pretty much, so I'm running twice a week and that's been good and my knee is feeling all right at this stage."

Herald

Johns Magic

Referee
The most interesting part of that article is the comparison between Stone and Smith.

Gotta say I like the fact that the players are enjoying their footy more. Hopefully Stone can maintain a balance that Hagan couldn't.

Serc

First Grade
That balance you speak of is something that I have been wondering about since he was announced as coach...if that happens then I'd like to think we are set for some pretty decent times ahead :)

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
That balance you speak of is something that I have been wondering about since he was announced as coach...if that happens then I'd like to think we are set for some pretty decent times ahead :)

Yeah I agree. Having said that, if he can't get the balance right, I'd much more prefer him to lead toward the smith side of things!

Burwood

Bench
The problem with players like Simpson is, although they were once internationals who could demand top-dollar, they aren't worth as much in the latter stages of their career.

Some players recognise this and are happy to play their final 1-2 years on a reduced salary. Others still see themselves as the player that peaked at 25 years of age and chase their final payday.

A lot depends on how he goes this year of course, but I'm not sure if the club can afford to pay him any more than $200,000- we just have too many guys in the club who are up-and-comers. Some of them are going to need upgrades.

His been here long enough to say when enough is enough, that being said you'd assume he'd be on a vastly reduced contract.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
I don't see Simmo as the kinda guy who would chase top dollars, he seems pretty content with his life. Sounds to me that if his got enough to provide for his family and live comfortably he'll do it.

Latest posts