What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson laments sin-bin incident

Pumba

First Grade
Simpson laments sin-bin incident
BY ROBERT DILLON

KNIGHTS warhorse Steve Simpson admitted he felt like he let his teammates down last night after his second-half sin-binning proved a turning point in Newcastle's 24-2 loss to Brisbane.

Simpson was marched for 10 minutes by referee Tony Archer after Brisbane fullback Karmichael Hunt made a break in the 61st minute and was not allowed to regain his feet promptly to play the ball.

At the time, the score was 10-2 to Brisbane, but by the time he returned the score was 20-2 in favour of the home side with only nine minutes to play.

Many felt Archer's call was hasty and Knights coach Brian Smith said it was "one of many things that didn't go right for us tonight".

Asked what he thought of Archer's decision, Smith replied: "A month of Sundays, is the expression that comes to mind, since I've seen one."

A shattered Simpson felt he had been treated harshly but was also kicking himself for taking a fraction too long to release Hunt.

"In hindsight, I wish I had let go a second earlier," Simpson said. "Maybe it was a penalty there, but sin-bin was a bit harsh.

"It's a disappointing way to let the boys down."

Veteran centre Adam MacDougall said it was "a massive call" to sin-bin Simpson.

"That was really the nail in the coffin, wasn't it," he said.

The Knights were also left fuming about Archer's overall performance, in particular his interpretation of the ruck area, even though they won the penalty count 8-7 a rare event this season.

"Without doubt, it was the slowest game of football that we've played this year, from our attack point of view," Smith said.

"It was pathetic at times."

Asked whether it was the same for both sides, Smith replied: "I'll sit back and let you work that out."

Link

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
yet Billy Slater gets nothing for a professional foul last week.......

Inconsistency is killing this game.

roopy

Referee
Archer had a brain snap - it was touch and go if it was worth a penalty - i'd say it wasn't.

Big Tim

First Grade
Thats my point.... considering the sh*t that the Broncos were doing in the ruck.... a penalty was harsh IMO.

Adsy

Juniors
Real tough call on Simmo.

We got slammed in the ruck. That penalty against Sau that led to their 2nd try was a joke.

Also am I the only one that thought Hannant lost the ball when he went to score?

shane1970

Juniors
Also am I the only one that thought Hannant lost the ball when he went to score?
No Adsy you're not - I saw the ball come out around the back of him, but whether he lost control of it or still had some sort of grip on the ball I don't know, the next thing there's three or four Knights players directly in front of Hannant attempting the tackle - now all players are on the grund but ref Archer still reckons he had a clear and precise sight of Hannant grounding the ball - he's a freaking magician with Xray eyesight.
Anyway getting back to the 'lost' ball the way things were going with Tony 'Queensland' Archer he would have just gifted the Broncos a penalty for a strip anyway.

knights_86

Juniors
i agree that there was a lot of dodgy calls that everyones talking about in this thread, but that said, i still think we wouldve lost and didnt play well enough to deserve to win anyway. geez i hope parra wins though, i think we definitely deserve to be in the 8 over the warriors!

perverse

Referee
this was the first professional foul i've seen in a long time that's been sin binned. i was irate.

Whats Doing

Bench
How Ennis didn't get on report for that late shoulder charge when the knights player was tackled on the ground. Very dangerous and reminded me of the Riley Bown incident on Wing

Big Tim

First Grade
That was my concern.... Kurt was penalised this year for "attacking" a defenseless player on the ground, even though that player was not tackled.

Ennis led with the elbow... and thats where the problem lies.

Hanscholo

Bench
Its the kind of incident that reminds me i am a Newcastle supporter. Dudded last week by a terrible call not to sin bin someone, and then dudded the week after by the exact opposite call. As soon as Simpson tackled him i knew he was going to the bin, years of Murphy's law to back me up.

In the overall scheme of things though, i dont think it had any bearing on that game other than perhaps some extra points on us. We were way out of it.

Yosh

Coach
Jeez.. Unlucky call however everyone must admit Broncos were the better side tonight, and I think they would of won regardless of the 10min sin bin or not...

league_guru

Juniors
I believe it was a sin-binnable offence. I think that after the events of last week the referees changed their interpretation.

I think there should be more use of the sin bin but the thing we all want as fans is consistency. Being a Knights fan at the game last nite made a long trip home on the train and then the car with my Bronco fans in my ears for those 4 hours.

Big Tim

First Grade
Given the amount of time merkin was given to ground the ball earlier, I'm surprised held was even called on Simmo.

I have always said this..... by the time he grounded the ball, we would have been penalised for a lack of "movement" if he was in the field of play.... It stinks that there are dramatically different rules in the in-goal and the field of play.

Adsy

Juniors
Given the amount of time merkin was given to ground the ball earlier, I'm surprised held was even called on Simmo.

Thats funny but sad because it's true.

The different rules for in goal compared to field of play are just ridiculous.

That new stripping rule they brought in for when a player is going to score a try is the worst rule ever thought up.

Pika

Bench
I think it was a sin bin offence.

The problem is the lack of consistency.

Teams and players dont mind the call when its consistent.

Consistency will get the back up quicker than a dud call.