What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson To Leave Newcastle

Mut

Juniors
In the paper this morning mut read that Newcastles Steve Simpson has aget out clause in his contract once he plays 6 state of Origin games to negotiate with other clubs. This Wednesday marks his 6th appearance in the pale blue!

The Roosters are favourites to snare him if he does not stay in Newcastle. He is on 220k at the moment with the knights which is about 60k-100k less then what he is worth.

He would more then fill the breach left by Ricketson if the Roosters are able to fit him in and he is a better signing than Harrison.

To the mut, it just goes to show how out of their depth the knights administration and player rentention committee are. Steve Crowe and Paul Harrogan would have no experience in this type of practise and this just proves how out of their depth they are...

I really hope the Roosters get him because he deserves to play at a good club and the roosters are that, whereas the knights have proven this year they are not.

Leave Steve, go the roosters, you deserves better then the slop being dished up where you are.

Thats GOLD chief!

Woooo! Get some mut up ya!

Johns Magic

Referee
From the SMH:

"Newcastle star Steve Simpson could be free to negotiate with other clubs after he plays for NSW in State of Origin III on Wednesday.
It is understood Simpson has a clause in his contract which allows him to negotiate a new deal if he plays six Origin games.

But it was not clear last night whether the figure of six applied to career Origin games or Origin games since his contract began.

The series-deciding game against Queensland at Suncorp Stadium will be Simpson's sixth career Origin. He played in the first two games of this season and three games in 2002.

His contract began at the start of last season, so next week's game would be only his third Origin game since then.

So-called "get-out" clauses that are sometimes inserted in contracts can give a player's existing club the opportunity to match the best offer from other clubs to keep the player.

Speaking yesterday from the NSW training camp in Coogee, Simpson, whose current deal doesn't expire until the end of 2007, said it was his understanding that there was a clause in his contract related to Origin appearances.

Advertisement advertisement
He said he wasn't looking to leave Newcastle, but he would be interested to know what was available.

"I think I'm allowed to negotiate a new deal once I've played six Origin games," Simpson said. "I'm not sure of the exact wording, but I think I can either re-negotiate with the Knights or look around.

"I'm pretty happy at Newcastle, but it only makes sense for me to keep all of my options open. The money I'm on is OK, but you can't really tell how it rates unless you know what else is around.

"But I've got an Origin game to concentrate on for now and I want to do that before I think about anything else."

Simpson said he would sit down with his manager, George Mimis, to clarify his contract after next week's match.

Asked to comment on the terms of Simpson's contract, Newcastle official Steve Crowe said last night contract terms were confidential, before adding that it was "not in the terms of his contract" for Simpson to be able to talk to other clubs.

Mimis did not return the Herald's phone calls.

Simpson would have reached six games for the Blues before this season had injuries not hit him in 2003 and 2004.

Even though he has avoided injury problems this season, it was a shock when the NSW selectors picked him for Origin I.

Newcastle's form was awful at the time and, although Simpson was playing well in the battling side, he wasn't expected to get in ahead of several players who were doing well in better-performed sides.

But the selectors picked him on the bench and he excelled in the first two games against the Maroons, coming on as either a second-rower or prop."

Mut

Juniors
No good management by Ricky Stuart. The roosters are the most professionally ran club in the competition ad deserve all the kudos they get for bringing talent to their club.

This is just another great move by Ricky to bring the best players to his club so they can be successful. Simpson has not let anyone down for NSW so deserves his spot.

Not a rort at all, but great tactics by a resourceful club. Those who bag the Roosters are jealous of their adminsitration and resources.

Simpson will loooove Bondi!

Knight

Juniors
If we let him go for Carney, I swear you'll see me holding everyone of the Knights management hostage on TV. I've just about had it. How they let the likes of Tahu and Kennedy go is beyond me.

gaterooze

Bench
Just what I was thinking, mickdo. I bet Ricky knew about that get-out clause.

Not that Simpson doesn't deserve the spot, but it was a really left-of-field selection.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Knight said:
If we let him go for Carney, I swear you'll see me holding everyone of the Knights management hostage on TV. I've just about had it. How they let the likes of Tahu and Kennedy go is beyond me.

Can't happen.. Carney has signed with the Gold Coast.

Knight

Juniors
Next season however. It's rumoured he will spend 1 year in the NRL with another club, and it so happens that we are looking at him.

tommytomlin

Bench
How about you wait to see if the Roosters sign Simpson before persisting with the inane conspiracy theories? Is Ricky Stuart the only NSW selector?

woodgers

Bench
He would more then fill the breach left by Ricketson if the Roosters are able to fit him in and he is a better signing than Harrison.
Don't agree with that one Mut, I think Harrison is an all round better player.

fat_mike

Juniors
we dont need a player like him at the chooks.

got quality backrowers already with some younger blokes in the premmies we should be blooding.

fat_mike said:
we dont need a player like him at the chooks.

got quality backrowers already with some younger blokes in the premmies we should be blooding.

I reckon the Roosters will go after Ben Ross before Simpson. With Cayless, Ricko, Crocker now gone they have enough money for Anasta and one more top liner I reckon and backrowers we have plenty of. A frontrower on the other hand would be a better option to replace Cayless.

Mr Saab

Referee
simpson has a massive dilemma on his hand. Does he want to win another comp, or does he want to stay loyal and be part of the rebuilding process at the knights and play out his career there.