What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson

Dave Q

Coach
Welcome to Souths LU.

Jamie is an excellent replacement player. Lacks a bit of buzz for a regular spot. Absolute gentleman off-feild.

Lacks extreme pace but has some good handling skills.

My view: 5.5/10

The following is courtesy souths.com.au.

BTW I love the English Super League, a smashing comp.

Jamie Simpson
Nickname:

Simmo

Position:

Utility

Height:

176cm

Weight:

91kg

Date Of Birth:

06 Sep 1986

Place Of Birth:

Rockhampton, QLD

Years Present:

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Jamie Simpson’s story as survivor of Cancer not once but twice is inspiring young Rabbitohs Members and supporters across the nation. Simpson’s tireless community work and commitment to the programs conducted by Souths Cares has seen him win the South Cares award in 2008 and 2009, as well as being the Club’s nominee for the NRL’s Ken Stephen Medal for those years. Jamie is an ambassador for the Australian Cancer Research Foundation (ACRF). Away from Rugby League, Jamie is a big NFL fan.
Junior club:

Fitzroy Sharks

Representative honours:

NSW Residents 2010

First grade debut:

Rabbitohs vs Warriors, Mt Smart Stadium, 6/6/08 (Rd 13)

Rabbitohs debut:

Rabbitohs vs Warriors, Mt Smart Stadium, 6/6/08 (Rd 13)

First Grade Games:

37 (37 for the Rabbitohs)

First Grade Tries:

16 (16 for the Rabbitohs)

First Grade Points:

64 (64 for the Rabbitohs)

What do you like to do outside of football:

Spend time with family and friends and get involved with the community

Community activities:

Souths Cares, Cure Our Kids, Lymphoma Australia, Red Cross and One Community

Education:

St Brendans College in Yeppoon

What do you remember about your debut game:

Scooping up a loose ball and scoring a try, and Sandow kicking the winning field goal

What are your goals in Rugby League:

To be a constant first grade player for Souths and maybe one day represent my state of Queensland, and Australia

What's the best advice you've received from someone:

Wayne Bennett told me "tough times come and go but tough guys last forever."

What was your first job:

Fruit and Veg Assistant

What are you reading at the moment:

Foxtel TV Guide

Favourite book:

Don’t Die with the Music in You by Wayne Bennett

Favourite song/album on your iPod?:

Eminem

Which actor would play you best in a movie:

Christian Bale

Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions:

My right boot always goes on first and I always say a prayer before kick off

Which meal do you cook best:

Curried snags

What could you not live without:

My family and friends, and TV and Foxtel and PS3

What was your best subject at school:

PE

What was your worst subject at school:

Maths

Earliest football memory:

Kicking the ball too many times in a row and getting in trouble for it in under 5s

Favourite football moment:

Making my debut for Souths against the Warriors

Moment that changed my career:

Scoring three tries against the Roosters in 2009

What advice do you have for junior Rugby League players:

Believe in yourself, never give up. Your dreams could come true

Who is your most annoying team mate and why:

Issac Luke because he won’t stop singing and dancing

Which of the young players at the Rabbitohs has the most potential and why:

Dave Taylor and Eddy Pettybourne. They are two of the best young forwards in the game

Who is your favourite South Sydney player of all time (Carl H. – Member # 3002):

Nathan Merritt. He's the man.

What does it mean to you to wear the red and green of South Sydney (John G. – Member # 29026):

It means a lot to me. To represent a Club with such history is an honour.

Who were your favourite players when you were a kid (Nik J. – Member # 1914):

Wally Lewis. Best player of all time

What would winning Souths 21st premiership mean to you (Philip C. – Member # 14140):

It would be great reward for all the hard work the boys have put in

Who is the biggest pest in the team and why (Kieran H. – Member # 349):

Issac Luke because he never stops singing and dancing

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
Thanks Dave, excellent post.

You are welcome f'o.

We all remember this guy below, he was one of my favourites.

The last thing Dave Fa'alago did before he left our club was punch our coach so hard that he fell down a flight of stairs. Our coach was sacked over the incident!

I hope hes going Ok for you.

spacer.gif
newspic25814.jpg

Sugar

Bench
Rumour that Simpson is coming to Huddersfield Giants,
Heard anything?
How good is he?
Bart or Homer ?

Good player, plays at 100% has been unlucky with injury and struggled to grab a regular first grade spot.

Would be nice if we can keep him

Dave Q

Coach
Its also a question of relativity.

Huddersfeild are a fair side but I think Jamie would slot in nicely and have a fair impact on that line.

He is not giant and explosive like Greg Inglis, but he cuts a nice angle and has a fair jink. He does have the occasional bad throw, but overall his handling is OK.

He can take a tackle and hang onto the ball.

Occasionally he has taken out our established backs, but he has found it too tough to maintain the rage against such talented guys like Best and Champion.

When I met him he was very grateful for my best wishes. Hes been through hell and back mentally, hes very tough. As Sugar says, he gives it his best.

I think he would go well in the Super League that doesnt have the overall robustness of the NRL, but it has some good creative players who are a delight to watch. In some ways it is a better showpiece for raw talent than the NRL which tends to systemise a lot more and is more formulaic. So where possible, I stay up and watch it.

Id be pretty happy to snare Jamie if I was a giants fan. You could do a lot worse.

And if Jamie wanted to go, I would support him.

By rights, jamie shouldnt be with us today and the fact that he is a seasoned first grader is a miracle, because what these guys put their bodies through is unbelievable.

Every day is a blessing for him and he maximises it. But he is not looking sympathy or any special arrangements, no way, he stands on his own two feet. He is footballer first and the rest follows.

Last edited:

Sugar

Bench
Confirmed on another Souths forum.
2 year deal with a 1 year option and more $$ than his Souths contract.

All the best Jamie your welcome back anytime

Dave Q

Coach
Confirmed on another Souths forum.
2 year deal with a 1 year option and more $$ than his Souths contract.

All the best Jamie your welcome back anytime

Yeah, he leaves with my best.

Jamie Simpson....He wore the red and green. No higher accolade available.

He should absolutely kill the ESL.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont know about the rumor but I saw him training on tuesday....

He had a giants singlet on underneath!

All this cloak and dagger stuff and us luckless punters are the last to find out.

We should probably get press releases and all that for the players who are staying!

Good luck to Jamie.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Good luck Jamie. Was great to see you in the Souths and Bears colours. Welcome back to the CC Bears in 2013 or the Bunnies.

Dave Q

Coach
Rabbitohs Release Jamie Simpson to Huddersfield Giants
14 Jan 2011

2009RabbitohsLogoDetail-c1c6fa2d-bc19-410f-a1db-e011264b9573.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have released Jamie Simpson from the remaining ten months of his NRL contract to take up a contract with English Super League Club Huddersfield Giants.

Simpson has played 37 NRL games since making his debut against the Warriors in 2008, and has been a valuable member of the Rabbitohs squad both on and off the field.

Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson wishes Jamie well on his European adventure.

“Jamie has an opportunity to head to the UK with Huddersfield and play in the elite Rugby League competition in Europe,” Mr Richardson said.

“Jamie made his first grade debut with the Rabbitohs and has been one of the leaders of Souths Cares’ programs off the field.

“This is a great opportunity for Jamie to take up a contract in the English Super League and also explore a bit of the world whilst playing Rugby League.

“We wish him the best of luck in his move to England.”

Simpson is excited about his new contract at Huddersfield.

“I’m really looking forward to heading to the Huddersfield Giants and starting the next phase of my football career,” Simpson said.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to play Rugby League in other countries and experience the rest of world.

“I’m grateful to the Rabbitohs for the opportunities they’ve given me over the past three seasons both on and off the field.

“I’d also like to thank the Members and supporters of the Rabbitohs for all of their support over the past three years. It’s been my pleasure to represent you each week in the red and green.

“I wish my team mates, the coaching staff and the Club the best of luck for this year and for the seasons to come.”

Dave Q

Coach
Richo got a bit carried away with this release, especially this bit purportedly from Jamie:

'....It’s been my pleasure to represent you each week in the red and green."

It was pointed out earlier that he played quite a few games in the mighty red and black which doesnt quite equate to "each week in the red and green"

Also,

Over his 3 year tour of duty at Souths, he could have played 78 games all up, but he's played 37 games, which is just under 50% so the "each" is a bit more distant again.

But when you consider that the average games played is only 50 for an entire career, hes well ahead of the pack at his tender age of 24.

He has played a rough average of 12. 3 games a year, which Id say is a pretty good record.

If he playes at his current rate, he is looking at 12.3 x say 6 years and therefore by the time he retires at 30ish, he would have played his 37 games plus 73.8 games which will put him at 110.8 games or more than double the NRL average.

I suppose as far as the giants are concerned, he is arriving at an espcially ripe age with about 1/3rd of his career gone. He should now be moving into his most productive third and then say the final third will be his winding down or twylight years. Lets allow a season of settling into ESL and factor in that in the ESL the players seem to be a bit older and stretch his productive period by one year.

So the giants should see a red hot Jamie in 2012, 2013 and beyond if he re-signs.

Of course, he has enough experience to make a notable impact in his first year of ESL as using the NRL average as a guide, his footballing age is closer to 27 or 28, but he has the stamina and strength of his physical age of 24. I think his personal background is a factor. He is extremely adept at adjusting, because hes had to do so much of it. Its a way of life from him. He just doesnt understand what the term "inertia" means. Its not him to sit back and bludge. Patient yes, lazy?..no.

They are certainly not buying some old broken down has-been we (The NRL) usually ship off to the ESL on a wing and a prayer when they virtually useless. He is close to or has just squeaked into his prime.

As a consequence, I conclude that on face value, he represents an astute purchase for them. Their fans should be satisfied, but of course, only on the basis that his price was reasonable. Paying too much for a player is never a sound investment.

Like Sugar, I wouldnt mind if he hung around here. Given that we are rated as one of the top NRL prospects for 2011 ( 2nd favourite), he is being drawn from a quality background. Thats another bonus for the Giants. We have not been struggling or considered one of the chronic lightweights for the last 2 years. Weve been mostly competitive, especially without injuries. That will rub off on the giants when he gets over there. He will lift them a bit like GI is already doing for us.

Jamie was one the Queensland invaders who Richo has been poaching for awhile now. I think he, at the very least, met expectations. He certainly kept moving forward although I am sure a few of the scholars of the game would think my assesment very conservative indeed.

He will enjoy catching up with Frog and talking staircases and Kung Fu.

And Richo's release has shown us that even the best CEO's in the game can make a few errors every now and then. Such is life, he meant well ....as he always does...... when it comes to things Souths.

Last edited:
On Facebook,Jamie said he would like to thank all Souths supporters for their support,he also went on to say it was to good an opportunity to pass up.