What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six Again / Rule Changes

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don’t like the awarding a try and going back on it.. if the referee doesn’t know or it looks a bit controversial, go to the video to begin with. It looks amateur going back on it after it’s already been awarded.

I like the reduction of vr for every try but can’t wait to see the crowd blow up when a try has been awarded, kicker is about to take conversion and ref is told to cancel it. Going to drive the crowd nuts!

Craigshark

First Grade
I like the reduction of vr for every try but can’t wait to see the crowd blow up when a try has been awarded, kicker is about to take conversion and ref is told to cancel it. Going to drive the crowd nuts!

yeah but if they end up over turning it, it probably takes longer then it would have to just refer it to begin with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The running hooker is going to become a lot more valuable under the new game. I can see Brandon Smiths value has just gone up significantly!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The 6 again rule is deadset the worst thing to happen to this sport in god knows how long (oh wait, the 7 tackle set is another bludger). It has made every game so predictable. A typically defence dominated grind in the first half, followed by a tsunami of points by the side with less fatigue/better conditioning in the 2nd. It feels like every single game follows this exact pattern now.

And I fear the damage it might do in the long term when it comes to player burnout as well. There is just no chance the majority of players are going to be able to maintain this absurd game speed without their bodies breaking down. V'landys is a pig headed deadshit rolling in the nice fresh mud that the Rugby League media lay out for him every week.

Zadar

Juniors
So, it has happened 3 times now that a team is waiting to take the kick for goal, and the decision has been overturned,
The game clock keeps running, and by the time it has been overturned, over a minute of game time has disappeared each time? Is this not an issue? Where as last year, as soon as the review is asked for the game clock stops.

The 6 again rule is deadset the worst thing to happen to this sport in god knows how long (oh wait, the 7 tackle set is another bludger). It has made every game so predictable. A typically defence dominated grind in the first half, followed by a tsunami of points by the side with less fatigue/better conditioning in the 2nd. It feels like every single game follows this exact pattern now.

And I fear the damage it might do in the long term when it comes to player burnout as well. There is just no chance the majority of players are going to be able to maintain this absurd game speed without their bodies breaking down. V'landys is a pig headed deadshit rolling in the nice fresh mud that the Rugby League media lay out for him every week.
Good point re player burnout.
But also the lack of consultation or trial of this rule. Ok so last year it was not possible due to no lower grade football but surely this needs better data and testing.
The only way this could be improved, or somewhat more plaetable, is four quarters of football. Like the NFL (or separate attacking and defensive squads). At least give defences some time to realign and co-ordinate.

T-Boon

Coach
Penalties should be 6 again (no kick for line) but a traditional penalty rather than play on...and the defense has to have 4 players defend from behind their goal line.

Apey

Staff member
I like the part where everyone was wetting themselves thinking it'd put an end to the Storm and then they won again anyway.

As far as the actual product goes, it's shit. If we don't want the huge advantage a kick for touch gives then just make it a tap.

Someguy

First Grade
and the defense has to have 4 players defend from behind their goal line.

Utter stupidity! Why not just make the Souths defensive game plan part of the rules. Defensive line stands 4-5m in front of the ref and the wingers compress in. Then every second play we will see teams send cut out passes to the wing or put on a chip kick to the winger.

Valheru

Coach

If yoou weren't confident you scored wouldn't you refuse the kick at goal?

LineBall

Juniors
Penalties should be 6 again (no kick for line) but a traditional penalty rather than play on...and the defense has to have 4 players defend from behind their goal line.

Penalties should be kick for touch - tackle count doesn't restart, or tap and go for 6 again. That way you would also stop the cynical penalties we are getting on tackle one where players will lie on the ball carrier and give away 6 again, which in effect is only one extra tackle. It would also give the teams the option of going for two points if they are within range for a penalty.

nick87

Coach
Don’t like the awarding a try and going back on it.. if the referee doesn’t know or it looks a bit controversial, go to the video to begin with. It looks amateur going back on it after it’s already been awarded.

agreed
I understand the idea and on paper it looks good, but as a fan invested in my team watching that yesterday i found it pretty frustrating and anti climatic, and to be perfectly clear, both decisions to reverse the try were 100% no questions correct. Whitehead did knock on and Sutton got there too early on the Tigers player.

Been mentioned above and posted in gameday threads..

To me - awarding the try and then the bunker reviewing /retracting it afterwards is horrific. Not just for the Dragons game - I'd mentioned same beforehand in the Raiders Tigers match with George Williams.

It does nothing but take the buzz out of a team scoring a try coz there's the unsettling feeling it could be taken off you at any point afterwards.

I get the logic why it was brought it, to limit referrals to the bunker by the ref.... but the bunker are still there anyway weaving their magic. This cure is far worse than the cause.

Is there a perfect solution?

Probably not. But this solution is not the way forward. I can see the NRL scrapping this in a few rounds time.... Or at least I hope so.

Munky

Coach
IMO the six again is being utilised by some sides after a kick to hold back the opposition,

Kick to the corner, tackle the returner three metres out and hold down so you can form a line.

Six again given but easily hold the attack within the 30 as the defence is fully set.

Should be a proper kick for touch penalty or even a 20 metre tap with seven tackles.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So, it has happened 3 times now that a team is waiting to take the kick for goal, and the decision has been overturned,
The game clock keeps running, and by the time it has been overturned, over a minute of game time has disappeared each time? Is this not an issue? Where as last year, as soon as the review is asked for the game clock stops.

Its a tricky one. I think the one with Jack Bird, Sutton mightve thought it was 100% a try but missed the knock on, so last year he wouldve awarded it but we wouldve found it to be howler.

I like the idea of eliminating the howlers provided it doesnt take the Bunker forever to look at it. So in some cases over the weekend we still had the issue with the Bunker.

Its a good point about the game clock, it was raised last night that about a minute was lost. Should the decision be overturned, do you think the clock should go back a minute or should time be stopped from a try is awarded?

Zadar

Juniors
Its a tricky one. I think the one with Jack Bird, Sutton mightve thought it was 100% a try but missed the knock on, so last year he wouldve awarded it but we wouldve found it to be howler.

I like the idea of eliminating the howlers provided it doesnt take the Bunker forever to look at it. So in some cases over the weekend we still had the issue with the Bunker.

Its a good point about the game clock, it was raised last night that about a minute was lost. Should the decision be overturned, do you think the clock should go back a minute or should time be stopped from a try is awarded?

clock has to be returned in my opinion, as they said last night, what if a try is scored with just over a minute left in the game, gets overturned, and all of a sudden it’s game over.

Latest posts