What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six Again / Rule Changes

Floodwaters

Juniors
& all 3 QLD teams are pretty crap atm so if another QLD side joins its only going to make those sides even weaker.

johns_reds

First Grade
Which top teams fell victim to Western Reds and Crushers when they joined? I think a lot of players know the first years of a new club are arduous at best.
I can’t remember that far back

But Titans went for a few Marquee signings:
2005 Churchill and GF winning halfback Scott Prince
2005 - GF winner Laffranchi
Luke Bailey was Australian Prop and St George we’re top 6

There just a few off the top of my head

I can’t remember that far back

But Titans went for a few Marquee signings:
2005 Churchill and GF winning halfback Scott Prince
2005 - GF winner Laffranchi
Luke Bailey was Australian Prop and St George we’re top 6

There just a few off the top of my head

If Bennett’s involved with the new Brissey club, then they’re a good chance given the money and coaching staff he’ll attract

franklin2323

Immortal
I’d still prefer they blow a penalty as they used to, and non offending team has three options:

1. Tap kick and restart the tackle count.
2. Kick for touch, with no restart of the count.
3. Kick at goal.

This would allow everybody to see what the penalty was for, and would even out the difference in giving a penalty on the first or last tackle in a set. I’m not a fan of giving 6 again only in the attacking zone because if you’re behind by 1 or 2 points, you should have the option of taking the shot at goal. I would also advocate for the 5 minute sin in for repeat infringements.

I'd be for it if you could just play on. You get extra distance in most cases but the side defending gets a breather and to set their defence line. They get neither with 6 again

franklin2323

Immortal
Both entertaining games. I despise the storms, but their game this year is awesome. And the riff might well be unstoppable. This year might be dominated by the few, but I think next year will be when all the teams work out the new rules and will be a much tighter comp.

Btw, only a few weeks ago most pundits were spruiking souffs and raiders to be absolute locks on the top 6, maybe not so much now

And Cows and Manly as gone yet both could be top 8 after the weekend

Munky

Coach
In storm against south's, storm conceded nine penalties/set restart and south's five.

Penrith conceded four to the Shark's two.

It is not the rule changes to blame.

Although we could go back to the old penalty rules and have a thirty three penalty game like 2018 again to create a tight score.

mxlegend99

Referee
In storm against south's, storm conceded nine penalties/set restart and south's five.

Penrith conceded four to the Shark's two.

It is not the rule changes to blame.

Although we could go back to the old penalty rules and have a thirty three penalty game like 2018 again to create a tight score.
The winning teams often get less set restarts and penalties. Those calls against them tend to give the opposition a better chance to build momentum, but it still exposes teams who are unfit and who can't think quickly. Even with momentum against them, the fitter teams can hold on while nothing is being thrown at them.

A 6 again call can swing momentum, but the lower ranked teams just don't know how to make the most of it.

Panthers, Storm, Souths etc. have players who react quickly to what's happening on the field and who know exactly what they want to do with a whole set pretty much instantly, but are still able to adapt to things that don't go as planned. They are generally the fittest players too, but really there's nothing stopping every team being able to get fitter. The players who can react to the higher paced game are standing out more.

In the days of a penalty, it allowed teams to catch their breath and plan their set from a set restart in good field position. It might have kept some games closer, but blowouts have always been part of the game.

betcats

Referee
That sharks team putting in that performance was getting blown out under any rules by a committed opposition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Bennett’s involved with the new Brissey club, then they’re a good chance given the money and coaching staff he’ll attract

there’ll be a lot of clubs trying to extend good players contracts past 2023 this year to head off the new club signing them up when they get announced later this year.

Reds 1995 squad
Some decent signings like Mackay, Geyer, Innes, Howe etc.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/arl-1995/western-reds/summary.html

Yes, that was a decent Perth side although Howe was playing in England when signed? And MG was at the twilight of his career. My point was a new club won’t necessarily even out the comp by poaching players from top clubs unless they have a top tier coach and wads of cash.

there’ll be a lot of clubs trying to extend good players contracts past 2023 this year to head off the new club signing them up when they get announced later this year.

Yes, another good reason.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, that was a decent Perth side although Howe was playing in England when signed? And MG was at the twilight of his career. My point was a new club won’t necessarily even out the comp by poaching players from top clubs unless they have a top tier coach and wads of cash.

Yes, another good reason.

Smart player managers will be getting their off contract players to sign for one year with a hope of a good deal from the new club for 2023. Brandon Smith and Nicho Hynes would be two first good signings for the new club.

not sure how up to date the list is but a squad of players they could target who are off contract at end of this year or next

1. Nicho Hynes (not off contract but reckon Storm wouldn’t stand in his way)
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jamayne Isaako
4. Robert Jennings
5. Alex Johnson
6. Anthony Milford
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Martin Taupau
9. Brandon Smith
10. Jordan McLean
11. Dylan Napa
12. Wade Graham
13. Dale Finucane

Saxon

Bench
Smart player managers will be getting their off contract players to sign for one year with a hope of a good deal from the new club for 2023. Brandon Smith and Nicho Hynes would be two first good signings for the new club.

not sure how up to date the list is but a squad of players they could target who are off contract at end of this year or next

1. Nicho Hynes (not off contract but reckon Storm wouldn’t stand in his way)
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jamayne Isaako
4. Robert Jennings
5. Alex Johnson
6. Anthony Milford
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Martin Taupau
9. Brandon Smith
10. Jordan McLean
11. Dylan Napa
12. Wade Graham
13. Dale Finucane

Not what I'd be looking at if I was starting a new team.
Building a team around Milford and Johnson - that is in no wise a recipe for success.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not what I'd be looking at if I was starting a new team.
Building a team around Milford and Johnson - that is in no wise a recipe for success.

that will be the challenge for the new club with a relatively short lead in time, finding players that are off contract by 2023.

Latest posts