What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size vs Speed and Skills

letsgo

Juniors
Lighter Gerard Beale primed for new role as St George Illawarra Dragons fullback

PERHAPS Generation Y does want everything at once. In his first month at St George Illawarra, Gerard Beale has had to deal with living in a new state, playing for a new club and the birth of his first child.
Despite the distractions, the former Brisbane Broncos utility said he was on track to set a personal best 40m sprint time after shedding bulk during the off-season.
Beale, 22, and his partner Roimata welcomed their baby boy Nixon into the world six weeks ago, right in the middle of intense fitness training at the Dragons.
"Nixon is the best thing that's ever happened to me,'' the New Zealand international said.
"He's not named after the former American president though. I get that a lot but we just liked the name.
"There has been a lot going on but I've actually settled here quicker than I thought I would.
"I already knew a few of the boys here, like Jason Nightingale and Nathan Fien from the Kiwi team, so that made things easier.''

Beale said there were only good memories from his four seasons at the Broncos but the opportunity to regularly play in his preferred position of fullback had prompted him to leave.
"There were no problems (at the Broncos),'' he said. "It's just the way it worked out.''
He has relished the training program the Dragons have designed for him.
"The Broncos wanted me to bulk up but because at the Dragons I will be playing fullback, I need to be lighter for all the running involved,'' Beale said.
"I am enjoying being lighter. I was a bit heavy. It is all about finding the best weight for me.
"We have time trials coming up in training and I think I could set some PBs. I'm feeling really good at the moment.''
A staple of Beale's time at the Broncos was the "Kava Connection'', consisting of Beale, Alex Glenn and Josh Hoffman who would occasionally have bonding sessions to embrace their New Zealand heritage.
"I have already spoke to a few of the boys here at the Dragons about having a kava night,'' Beale said.
"There's guys like Chase Stanley and a few others who like kava but we just have to find the time between training.''
Asked if he knew when the Dragons first played the Broncos this season, Beale fired back quickly: "Round 2.
"It will be interesting going back to Suncorp to play them. I'm looking forward to it,'' he said.
Source: Couriermail

Told you the players aren't happy with stacking on the weight.
It's time for a new coach.

some11

Referee
When I read that I thought about what you said about the coaching staff telling everyone to bulk up.

No wonder any time there's a counter attack we're left for dead.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
There was no-one naturally quick at the Broncos in 2012. Even if they didn't have extra weight I very much doubt that any Bronco would have gone close.

2013 not looking much better in the speed department. Not sure if Kemp has kept his speed. Bond is agile but not overly quick. Maybe Berryman? Have they done any 40m times at training yet?

letsgo

Juniors
DANE Gagai will probably always feel indebted to Wayne Bennett, but the Knights coach clearly feels it was a case of money well spent.

Bennett has described Gagai as the NRL’s ‘‘buy of the season’’ on the strength of his deeds last year, when Newcastle signed him on the rebound after he was shown the door by Brisbane.
Statistics support Bennett’s lofty appraisal.
According to the Contributor Value Ratings system, devised by NRL Stats to measure a player’s individual input, Gagai was Newcastle’s standout performer during his 12-game stint.
He finished with a team-high CVR game rating of 405.5. Next best was his right-edge partner, Akuila Uate, with 391.69, then star fullback Darius Boyd on 370.9.
Described as a Moneyball-style data base, the CVR rankings might be confusing to the average rugby league fan.
But Gagai’s impact can be measured in more traditional numbers, as well.
In his 12 games, he scored five tries and threw the final pass for six others. He played alongside Uate in 11 of those games and the Test winger crossed for 12 four-pointers.
Operating in tandem, Gagai and Uate scored 16 tries between them – a strike rate that rekindled memories of Matt Gidley’s famous right-edge pairings with Darren Albert and Timana Tahu.
Gagai joked yesterday that playing alongside Uate made his job easy, but the 21-year-old’s fancy feet and flick passes were weapons in their own right.
‘‘When I came here, we seemed to get along fairly well, and having someone like Aku outside you, he’s always going to make you look good,’’ Gagai said.
‘‘There was a few times there where I didn’t do too much but throw him the ball, and he just did everything from there. But it is a privilege to play inside someone like Aku and I’ve just been grateful for every moment.’’
The flyer from Mackay exceeded his own expectations after arriving in Newcastle last season with just six NRL games to his name.
Shattered after being let go by the Broncos, he said one meeting at Bennett’s house in Brisbane convinced him his future lay in Newcastle.
‘‘I didn’t expect him to pick me straight away. That was just a bonus,’’ he said.
‘‘He pretty much chucked me in the deep end and I didn’t want to let him down ... he’s just been a great mentor and really helped me develop as a player and a person.’’
The L-plate flyer hopes a full preseason with his Knights teammates will be his launchpad for bigger and better things this year.
‘‘I look back on last year as a positive but a learning thing as well,’’ he said. ‘‘I came halfway through the season and I hadn’t played in the centres in first grade before.
‘‘I’ve still got a lot to learn, but I’ve been working on the little things. I’m feeling fit and strong and looking forward to the trials.’’
Contracted for two more seasons, Gagai recently welcomed his younger brother Jacob to Newcastle.
‘‘He’s still only 17 and he’s playing SG Ball,’’ he said.
‘‘He plays in the halves and he’s been going well.
‘‘It’s been awesome having him here, having a family member living with me.
‘‘I still get a bit homesick, but I try to get back to Mackay as much as I can.’’
Source: theherald

Meanwhile in other news..

letsgo

Juniors
I think that says it all...

We should be looking at getting Kevin Naiqama to the club.
Strangely enough him, Uate and Mcmanus are all off contract end of this season. They won't be able to keep them all. They also have the Mata'utia brothers, Will Smith, Mantellato and of course Leilua but he's probably taking Tahu's spot when he retires this year.

InThatNumber

Juniors
As Broncos fans you would know better than anyone else, can Beale play well at fullback? Has he the ability to become another Darius Boyd? I haven't seen much of him so would like some idea what we can expect this season with him in the #1 at Saints.

Chainshada

Juniors
I liked Beale at Fullback, he did occasionally seem a bit out of sorts in defense, but I'd put that down to him being shifted back and forth. I think he'll take maybe 5-6 games for him to feel comfortable enough, but I think he'll step up and have a good year to prove himself and make the position his.

jakepearce94

Juniors
As Broncos fans you would know better than anyone else, can Beale play well at fullback? Has he the ability to become another Darius Boyd? I haven't seen much of him so would like some idea what we can expect this season with him in the #1 at Saints.
let's just say he definitely plays better at fullback then on the wing.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Just keep your captain and best player away from beale when he jumps for the ball. Might cop the odd stray knee accidently and occasionally.:oops:. lol

InThatNumber

Juniors
Thanks guys for the info on Beale. Hope he goes well at the back this year. And keeps his knees out of his teammates.

Latest posts