What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skando returns

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh dear.

Team for the eels game

1 - Brown
2 - Tuqiri
3 - Ayshford
4 - Lawrence
5 - Ryan
6 - Marshall
7 - Lui
8 - Payten
9 - Farah
10 - Galloway
11 - Fulton
12 - Ellis
13 - Heighington

14 - Fifita
15 - Daniela
16 - Dwyer
17 - Skandalis

Injuries:
Cayless, Tuiaki, Woods, Moltzen, Gibbs, McKinnon, Latu, Mullaney

Direct

Juniors
Poor bloke. Surely he's done enough for the club to have earned retirement.

Gotta wonder if Moors and Co could be close to signing somewhere else and that's why there's no game time for them.

Das Hassler

Bench
Don't worry about Skandalis..this is the first of the string of pressure cooker games coming up and another calm head and experience shouldn't be undervalued ...whatever he's lost through age he will make up for by just being there..Sheens has said he wants him there to mentor the younger guys...the (Folkes) forwards are fit enough to carry Skando at part throttle..last quarter of the game in a packed parramatta stadium i think it's a wise move having him there.
I reserve the right to be wrong

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
There's no excuse for Skando playing playing over Moors.
What he's providing is hardly inspirational and his best work can be done on the training paddock.

Eddie.

Bench
Don't worry about Skandalis..this is the first of the string of pressure cooker games coming up and another calm head and experience shouldn't be undervalued ...whatever he's lost through age he will make up for by just being there..Sheens has said he wants him there to mentor the younger guys...the (Folkes) forwards are fit enough to carry Skando at part throttle..last quarter of the game in a packed parramatta stadium i think it's a wise move having him there.
I reserve the right to be wrong

Beginning to warm a little to this theory.

His stint was pretty good. Got us some quick play the balls. He won't offer up any clangers or be ill disciplined. He is still fit enough and has the heart.

macnaz

Staff member
I Was happy with Skandos performance, but does he stay when Gibbs is back ?

gronkathon

First Grade
He shouldn't

Fifita opened the gap for Horos try by taking the wrong option but Skando lacked the lateral pace or forsight to slide in. Ellis, Heighno or Gibbs would have made that tackle IMO

super_coach

First Grade
I Was happy with Skandos performance, but does he stay when Gibbs is back ?

Probably not, but a handy back stop. If I was making the call I would probably use him and drop the one minute back off the bench but thats not going to happen and Sheens seems to be proving a few knockers wrong (me for one) so I will go with his call.

Das Hassler

Bench
I really don't think Sheens is (or should be) concerned about where Skandalis fits in when Gibbs comes back...he made a brilliant decision a few weeks back when he just got him warmed up with the team..IMHO the reason Saints are starting to lose a few now (and at the end of lst season ) is because they stick to the one rigid gameplan right through the season..by now everyone has had a good look at a relatively stationary tactical target (i know i've said that before)...Sheens may infuriate a lot of perplexed supporters but he at least he tries things..if you set the bar too high then everyone just sees it fall..if you make it then then you win.Maybe just see Skandalis as another kind of spanner in the toolbox to be brought out if the need arises and there WILL be a succession of very stressfull "last 10 minutes" in the weeks ahead...i remember my old tech teacher telling me that whenever you hear a mechanic say that there's no place for a shifter in a proffesional toolbox then you are dealing with a tosser..in an emergency a humble (ever reliable) shifter that can adjust to any size as the need arises can be worth it's weight in gold...if i wanted someone to get me safely through a dangerous jungle, i'd pick an OLD guy with loincloth and a bone through his nose ...Skandalis may not see much game time but it's good to know we can send him out there if he's (maybe desperately) needed ..just another humble (WTF do i know) opinion :)

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I am happy for Skandalis to replace Gibbs, and agree with Eddie, his stint on Sunday was quite good (much better than his previous two matches where IMO he was dominated in almost every hit up). It was especially noticeable how he picked up quick play the balls which did get us moving quickly at a time when we were under the pump.

However, he should not be there once Gibbs is back. Clearly our bench at full strength will be: Fifita, Daniela/Brown, Dwyer, Gibbs.

macnaz

Staff member
I still think with Fulton in the side we can play 4 forwards of the bench. I still cant see why we need a 5 minute winger.
On a side note its good to have Fifita as another go to option apart from Ellis close to the line , im sure other sides will start paying him plenty of attention thus holding the defence in tight so we can then go wide . And im wrapped that Ellis is going to have a shot in the semi's, he has given his all from day one and to be there in the worlds toughest finals series is a just reward for dropping some dollars for a dream and the challenge to play amomgst the best here in Aus. .

Borat.

Juniors
Skando was Gold on Sunday...well he took it to another level.....must be his match fitness paying off..

The good thing about having a utility on the bench that come finals time we are used to playing with a 3 man bench and if we loose a couple of outside backs - like we did against Para last year we wont be eliminated for it......

But IMO we'd be better of with 4 forwards....

Skando has been a loyal servant to our club and his game against Parra was an improvement from previous weeks but surely Moors can provide more of an impact off the bench.

macnaz

Staff member
yeah what happend with Slater ? He kicked scando didnt he? I remember skando was gunna chase him downfield to belt him and slater the cat back peddled a hundred mile an hour ..lol
I ve heard that Skando is pretty sh*t hot in a blue as well or is that a myth... when i think of it ive never seen anyone try him out so it could be true.

yeah what happend with Slater ? He kicked scando didnt he? I remember skando was gunna chase him downfield to belt him and slater the cat back peddled a hundred mile an hour ..lol
I ve heard that Skando is pretty sh*t hot in a blue as well or is that a myth... when i think of it ive never seen anyone try him out so it could be true.

Yeah i remember when that happened.....back at LO too wasnt it..

I think Slater was suspended for 3-4 weeks for that kick, then suspended again for a couple of weeks against the tigers for a forearm later in the same year.

chrisc101

Juniors
Skando has been a loyal servant to our club and his game against Parra was an improvement from previous weeks but surely Moors can provide more of an impact off the bench.

People just don't get it. It is one thing for your backline to be full of young kids, it is another your forward pack. You need the right mix of older players and younger guys in your pack. I think Sheens record over the back half of this year 10 out of 13 matches speaks for itself.

Latest posts