What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skills?

PeterMudgee

Juniors
This is my first post. I beleive we are lacking in the basic skills to be competitive. Last week I saw Luke Bailey pass a ball to set up a try for the titians and I have just seen Brent Kite pass a great ball to Monaghan.When they were dragons they would not pass the ball in a pink fit.
We lack the skills that must for back on training methods and the total coaching concepts.We have the players but are lacking confidence and skills.

Southernsaint

Staff member
PeterMudgee said:
This is my first post. I beleive we are lacking in the basic skills to be competitive. Last week I saw Luke Bailey pass a ball to set up a try for the titians and I have just seen Brent Kite pass a great ball to Monaghan.When they were dragons they would not pass the ball in a pink fit.
We lack the skills that must for back on training methods and the total coaching concepts.We have the players but are lacking confidence and skills.

Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum.

In Kite's case, I think you'll find you need to catch the ball first before being able to pass it.

But if you're in the position of having to teach a player of first grade standard basic skills then you've got to wonder what his junior coaches were doing and what your own club is doing in recruiting someone who hasn't mastered the fundamentals.

I reckon the issue is being coached to know when to & when not to force that extra pass. Example: Ryles, Jason.

gregstar

Referee
g'dday pete.

rather than worrying about the absence of ballskills within the saints' pack, i'd be more concerned about their inability to....

a) hold the ball for a complete set.
b) lock the ball up in tackles.
c) run angles that don't cramp halves & centres.
d) maintain discipline for an entire game rather than 20 minutes.
e) number up when defending behind the ruck.
f) retain the ball when a support player has not timed his run & is in front of him.
g) acquire a level of fitness that will hold sway in the back end of both halves.
h) show so......ah f*ck it.

it just doesn't rate.

Father Ted

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum.

In Kite's case, I think you'll find you need to catch the ball first before being able to pass it.

But if you're in the position of having to teach a player of first grade standard basic skills then you've got to wonder what his junior coaches were doing and what your own club is doing in recruiting someone who hasn't mastered the fundamentals.

I reckon the issue is being coached to know when to & when not to force that extra pass. Example: Ryles, Jason.

We tried to make him a centre at one point LOL .

Steel Dragon

Bench
Howdy thar Mudge! (It took you a while to get that first post out there...;-) )

You make a valid argument though. I have seen teams (Sea Eagles and Cowboys i think) whose forwards run to the line and turn backwards before impact to off load the ball.
Its a technique usually reserved for the u10's but it is effective in drawing in tacklers and initiating second phase play.
A simple and effective trick that not even the Dragons can manage do.

Latest posts