What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan vs Walsh

Draginzaaar

Bench
The best game of his career. Especially in defence. There's been a definite change there - a revolution almost - both in terms of technique, attitude, and tactically. In the red zone he was exclusively defending in the line (a la Darius Boyd) to give us an extra man and doing a great job of it, pulling off one or two solo try saving tackles. And in the post-match chat he immediately credited Dean Young for this improvement. Was a great start for him in an area he has struggled in. Just the one dropped bomb which was the only blemish but he was under pressure quite a lot and handled it well.

And in attack, he was magnificent. Perfect fullback play. The set play for his third try was, as the commentator described, gorgeous rugby league... his support of RFM for the first try was exactly what we want to see around our big offloading backrowers, instinctive and well-timed. But my favourite was the second try, in support of Jacob Liddle. No-one else in our team scores that, except Sloan, and that's where he needs to be. So many occasions last year we'd make a break like that and there'd be no speed in support. On this occasion when Liddle broke through, Tyrell was hovering behind the ruck, just in case, and he exploded into full throttle pace to get into a supporting position. Jacob Liddle did a fantastic job to hold off on his draw-and-pass til the right time but Sloany burned the turf to get there. After that no-one was catching him. It was, dare I say Auntie Gerald, reminiscent of a certain Reece Walsh ;)
All fullbacks defend in the line now in the 20. A la Darius Boyd? Maybe he started it, but they are all coached to do it now.

blacksafake

First Grade
Yep good call, I think Liddle had BMM there as well, but Sloan was the obvious who had to be there and was. I also think Flanno has simplified everyone's job, you have a task, just do it well and the rest can take care of itself. I still give BMM some credit for at least trying to back Liddle up.
I reckon BMM could’ve scored there too as Boyd was struggling to keep up with him.
BMM is reasonably sharp over 20/30 metres

TheRev

First Grade
There is always some % risk of errors if we become a team of offloaders, especially once opposition coaches get a read on us.. but it just seems like the most sure-fire way for our roster to score points.. a plan to work with the sort of players we have...

When Dufty used to do it, the problem was he was trying to take the offloads at fullspeed so he could burst through the hole, and it felt like it was a 50/50 on whether he would spill it... but Sloan isnt doing that.. anyway its good stuff!

Illusion

Bench
All fullbacks defend in the line now in the 20. A la Darius Boyd? Maybe he started it, but they are all coached to do it now.
Just off topic here , heard on NRL 360 that Ezra Mann missed 100 tackles last season ........ Imagine if he was playing in our side last year that would have doubled ........ Surely that's a lot of missed tackles for a season ....... Even for his attack this surely out does that ........

BLM01

First Grade
Just off topic here , heard on NRL 360 that Ezra Mann missed 100 tackles last season ........ Imagine if he was playing in our side last year that would have doubled ........ Surely that's a lot of missed tackles for a season ....... Even for his attack this surely out does that ........
yeh..na 3.7 tackles a game for a young small half with the big boys running at you.. as long as he has good cover surrounding. But get the point. He has improved on that so far this year

justadragon

Bench
After watching Walsh last night against the rabbits, you cant compare the 2, they have completely different running styles. Walsh is explosive, jinking and stepping whilst Sloan has swerve and glides. Both beat players in different ways, you would have to say Walsh is far more advanced but we know why, I can see Sloan improving immensely under Flanno, he already pulled off a cover tackle last game that wouldnt have happened last year. Anyway I wish him every success, it looks like he's earning it and deserves it with his hard work.

Illusion

Bench
After watching Walsh last night against the rabbits, you cant compare the 2, they have completely different running styles. Walsh is explosive, jinking and stepping whilst Sloan has swerve and glides. Both beat players in different ways, you would have to say Walsh is far more advanced but we know why, I can see Sloan improving immensely under Flanno, he already pulled off a cover tackle last game that wouldnt have happened last year. Anyway I wish him every success, it looks like he's earning it and deserves it with his hard work.
The game last night , I'm sick of the way they go on about Latrell , they don't say much when he makes a mistake or misses a tackle ......... Yep he can pull off a try here and there , but also has a lot of mistakes in him ..........

Wolfgang90

Juniors
He needs to increase his fitness base so he can have the capacity for more involvements. He mentioned it himself that his fitness was not up to scratch when he started pre-season. Elite fullbacks have elite fitness.