What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Dragon David

First Grade
I am of the opinion that Shane Flanagan will not be in a position to decide on who they should sign for 2024/2025 just yet. He has just taken over the head role. He has Shane Millard come in to help with recruitment. They are virtually new and until such time as they have been able to get te fitness guys improve the strength and conditioning of the players to the level needed to compete for the 80 minutes like Penrith, and get a birds eye view of all players in the juniors, reserves etc and first grade after trials and a coup[le of games of the competion proper, they wont know who really should be kept/encouraged/terminated whatever.

Let him see what happens on the field and then decide what should happen.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I am of the opinion that Shane Flanagan will not be in a position to decide on who they should sign for 2024/2025 just yet. He has just taken over the head role. He has Shane Millard come in to help with recruitment. They are virtually new and until such time as they have been able to get te fitness guys improve the strength and conditioning of the players to the level needed to compete for the 80 minutes like Penrith, and get a birds eye view of all players in the juniors, reserves etc and first grade after trials and a coup[le of games of the competion proper, they wont know who really should be kept/encouraged/terminated whatever.

The one thing that the club can control for potential incoming players and current players is to show it on the field.

Everyone is saying they "hate losing" and that's within the club. By the comments and actions so far, it all looks good for next year.

who they should sign for 2024/2025
For '25 yes, but not '24. We were too bloody slow to pick up anyone we could call even a good player, perhaps Sele. But we were pretty bloody quick to release a good player in Zane Musgrove who had no trouble finding a new home while being stuck with duds like BMM because no one else wanted them.

possm

Coach
I don't think we are in a position for Flanno to be able to sell anything yet.. someone like Manu would be a masterstroke, but i think we need a couple of lesser names signed before we can pull that stuff off.. I mean if we fire enough shots maybe 1 of them hits.. but there arent many players left we can even approach for 2025.. they are all signed up.
We need to pitch a good story so let's put things back into the positive:

1. Change the name back to St George Dragons.
2. Buy Illawarra Steelers and upgrade their club.
3. Appoint Illawarra as our feeder Club.
4. Move, Millard, Haran, and Millward to Illawarra Steelers until their contract ends. Also, move the Gordons and WIN Corp with them.
5. Hire some good professional (non old boys) recruitment staff.
6. Establish a sister club relationship with St Helens in the UK and create a deal where each of the two clubs would transfer 1 emerging player to the other each season and exchange players between each club without a transfer fee.
7. Finish the Wollongong Center of Excellence and build one at Kogarah as well.
8. Arrange for Twiggy Forest to buy out the Gordon/WIN Corp shares.
9. Make it known that our top 30 squad will have two weeks of fitness training with St Helens in England each off-season with trips to a variety of European Countries each weekend.
10. Lobby hard to have a new 'Twiggy Forest Stadium' built at Kogarah, relocating the school and replacing the Taj with a multi-story building. With a car park and bus transport hub under the complex.

Now you have a change in direction which indicates a successful future is just around the corner.

Now you have something to talk about when pitching to players.

possm

Coach

Yes, and this is why Griffin should have not been extended and Flannagan appointed a year earlier. By no the team would be in good condition and the team made ready for a stong season in 2024.

TheRev

First Grade
I reckon the $ figure has come because we are obliged to spend a tonne of unspent cap moneyfor 2024.. so they will try to frontload as many contracts as possible..

But extending Sloan scares the bejesus out of me as I give him a 20% chance of surviving another year in 1st grade with his avoidance of contact.. but if its true that Flanno is looking to extend him.. it might mean he's seeing things he really likes in the off-season... so thats promising.

I will also say that it feels like Amone & Sloan both really impress in training over years gone by.. they must carve up defensive lines running at 2/3 pace.... but it hasnt translated to real football against 1st grade defensive lines.. both offensively and defensively imo.

A more positive view would be that kids develop at different rates and these ones needed longer.. anyway we shall see..

Latest posts