What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Old Timer

Coach
Using a racing analogy what we need is a good kill early on with both Sloan & Bud having good games in order to build their confidence.
If Bud & Sloan have good games the forum will go mad with the "why didn't we do this last year" f**k Hook posts.

If they fail to live up to their hype the forum will go mad with the "It's all Hook's fault he, has ruined their confidence" f**k Hook posts.

Such an envious position for Hook.

offiah

Juniors
If Bud & Sloan have good games the forum will go mad with the "why didn't we do this last year" f**k Hook posts.

If they fail to live up to their hype the forum will go mad with the "It's all Hook's fault he, has ruined their confidence" f**k Hook posts.

Such an envious position for Hook
You could also flip that and say:

If they go well, Hook can say they weren’t quite ready last year but with a strong off season and more coaching they’re now up to it.

If they fail to live up to the hype, hook can say, see I told you all they weren’t ready last year and they’re still not ready. See, I know footy. Now let’s buy another utility from an also ran, so we can get some experience out there.

Old Timer

Coach
You could also flip that and say:

If they go well, Hook can say they weren’t quite ready last year but with a strong off season and more coaching they’re now up to it.

If they fail to live up to the hype, hook can say, see I told you all they weren’t ready last year and they’re still not ready. See, I know footy. Now let’s buy another utility from an also ran, so we can get some experience out there.
The Ying and the Yang

justadragon

Bench
So how about signing Mitchell
Well I wish him all the best in the next game he plays, if he has a good one that would be great if he doesn't I just want persistence, he's only a kid and is already putting enough pressure on himself without the outside pressure being dumped on him as well. Time will tell if this kid is good enough and to me he can be proud already of at least facing up to the reality of having good and bad games without blaming someone else. Go for it Tyrell just do your best mate.

justadragon

Bench
Well I have bagged Hook often enough in the last couple of years, but I suppose this time he should be given credit for what he did with Sloan, if Sloan can openly admit it was Hook and his Nan to turn him around well thats good enough for me. Well done Hook ,,,,,,oh and Nan as well :))

Maddragon99

Juniors
Well I have bagged Hook often enough in the last couple of years, but I suppose this time he should be given credit for what he did with Sloan, if Sloan can openly admit it was Hook and his Nan to turn him around well thats good enough for me. Well done Hook ,,,,,,oh and Nan as well :))
I think Sloan’s upturn has more to do with the lack of pressure given Ramsey’s illness rather than anything the SuperCoach has done.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
This is a great story and all. But what I got from this is…if it wasn’t for his grandmother getting in his ear, he would’ve farked off…rather than Hook reaching out to him and trying to sort shit out. Am I right? It am I being as negative as usual?

Dragon David

First Grade
This is a great story and all. But what I got from this is…if it wasn’t for his grandmother getting in his ear, he would’ve farked off…rather than Hook reaching out to him and trying to sort shit out. Am I right? It am I being as negative as usual?
This whole issue goes far back to round 3 last year after the Sharks game in which Tyrell made several blunders in the wet (like other players would have on that afternoon in my opinion) and Hook just said to Tyrell - "you played shit" and didn't talk to him after that and as we know, Tyrell spent much of 2022 in reserves. Because of the cold shoulder, Tyrell felt that Hook didn't want him and maybe he thought best to look elsewhere.

I think that things over time have changed and Hook in a way has apologised to Tyrell for how he spoke and his indifferent attitude towards him. They have mended their ways and all is good as far as things go and what I am reading.

Tyrell's nan has been a massive influence on him and of course helps him to understand life as an adult now. He has a couple of good mentors who have also helped him along on his growing journey.

True_Believer

Juniors
This whole issue goes far back to round 3 last year after the Sharks game in which Tyrell made several blunders in the wet (like other players would have on that afternoon in my opinion) and Hook just said to Tyrell - "you played shit" and didn't talk to him after that and as we know, Tyrell spent much of 2022 in reserves. Because of the cold shoulder, Tyrell felt that Hook didn't want him and maybe he thought best to look elsewhere.

I think that things over time have changed and Hook in a way has apologised to Tyrell for how he spoke and his indifferent attitude towards him. They have mended their ways and all is good as far as things go and what I am reading.

Tyrell's nan has been a massive influence on him and of course helps him to understand life as an adult now. He has a couple of good mentors who have also helped him along on his growing journey.

Hook wouldn't have apologized - why should he? Sloan needed to stop his sooking (which we all saw in reserve grade) and make an effort to win his position back. I daresay that if Ramsay wasn't sick, Sloan would still be in reserve grade.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hook wouldn't have apologized - why should he? Sloan needed to stop his sooking (which we all saw in reserve grade) and make an effort to win his position back. I daresay that if Ramsay wasn't sick, Sloan would still be in reserve grade.
That is how the cookie crumbles True insofar as Ramsey is concerned. I really feel sorry for him. He was beginning to grow in confidence and play really well. If he was well and fighting fit, he definitely would have started this year for sure, but unfortunately bad things can happen.

But going back to Hook and not apologising, unless Sloan didn't say what I read, then I'm sorry.

“We caught up, Hook was very open and honest, he said he didn’t communicate with me in the best way and that sort of led to us to not seeing eye-to-eye,” Sloan said.

I suppose it is in a way an apology without saying "I am sorry".

I'm very sure that many players have a sook - many and some leave still sooking. G Burgess for one, Jack Gosiewski another.

Old Timer

Coach
The interesting thing with all this is that Sloan is now saying what a good bloke Hook is.

Now for sure as much as Sloan has changed his attitude and made certain admissions especially about thinking he knew it all but Hook has just kept on doing what Hook does.

So IMO 2023 attitude is being rewarded whereas 2022 attitude was not and rightly so.

But still people want to find a way to bag Hook for "not reaching out" when someone was obviously neither listening nor doing what needed to be done.

Hook has never said publically a bad word about anyone in the squad and has kept his own counsel wisely where several players started backgrounding, bad mouthing and whining but never once admitted that their form on the paddock was questionable or below par.

Sure Hook might be old style and not find the exact words that people in here think should be used but obviously when players have the right attitude the language Hook uses is more than acceptable.

No doubt Sloan & Hook have both learned a lesson from all of this but I know who has learnt the bigger lesson and he is certainly much better off for having learnt it.