What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hook also admitted he did not communicate with Sloan as he should have so did take some blame as well. It was great he admitted that so it looks like both were at fault and worked it out like men in the end with a good honest conversation. Hook may have also made changes to his style which is now resonating with the team and they look much more aligned. The new assistants have definitely been a breath of fresh air. But hey, it's only been 1 game against a non-top 8 side. Interesting to see how he handles the Amone issue.

Sloth

Juniors
It was also mentioned that Hook has taken some responsibility for the lack of feedback on what was needed for Sloan to make the step back into the first grade team. In the role of head coach you need to manage your players and let them know what you expect the players to be working on. As the adult in this situation Hook needed to be the man and have a one on one with Sloan prior to the relationship breakdown. A good coach would recognise that Sloan is an emotional person and treat him differently to say a Lomax who strikes me as having a stronger personality.

This change in attitude from both men could be the defining moment of both careers. Sorry Slippery Morris, I was in the midst of writting when you posted yours, we are on the same page :)

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The interesting thing with all this is that Sloan is now saying what a good bloke Hook is.

Now for sure as much as Sloan has changed his attitude and made certain admissions especially about thinking he knew it all but Hook has just kept on doing what Hook does.

So IMO 2023 attitude is being rewarded whereas 2022 attitude was not and rightly so.

But still people want to find a way to bag Hook for "not reaching out" when someone was obviously neither listening nor doing what needed to be done.

Hook has never said publically a bad word about anyone in the squad and has kept his own counsel wisely where several players started backgrounding, bad mouthing and whining but never once admitted that their form on the paddock was questionable or below par.

Sure Hook might be old style and not find the exact words that people in here think should be used but obviously when players have the right attitude the language Hook uses is more than acceptable.

No doubt Sloan & Hook have both learned a lesson from all of this but I know who has learnt the bigger lesson and he is certainly much better off for having learnt it.
Just my opinion…a coach’s job is to manage different personalities. Therefore, if you have young blokes who think they know it all or blokes who listen to everything that they’re told, or comedians or dickheads or weirdos, the coach needs to be able to manage all these types of guys…a coach shouldn’t be set in his ways and say “it’s my way or the Highway”…anyway…that’s just my opinion which I’m basing off the weirdos in the office that I work in

Illusion

Bench
Just my opinion…a coach’s job is to manage different personalities. Therefore, if you have young blokes who think they know it all or blokes who listen to everything that they’re told, or comedians or dickheads or weirdos, the coach needs to be able to manage all these types of guys…a coach shouldn’t be set in his ways and say “it’s my way or the Highway”…anyway…that’s just my opinion which I’m basing off the weirdos in the office that I work in
That's why Bennett and others are known as good coaches because they are people managers first then a coach , they know how to manage and talk to players as individuals then as a group .....

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
That's way Bennett and others are known as good coaches because they are people managers first then a coach , they know how to manage and talk to players as individuals then as a group .....
100 percent agree with you mate. These kids are all 20-something years old and need a father figure, not another good bloke/ mate to get on the piss with (*cough McFlop)

possm

Coach
The attitude of young guns and the standards set for them by coaching staff during their development years plays a big part in their readiness for NRL duties. We need to pay more attention to the coaches put in charge and the design of the system we employ. Attitude and expectations seem to be the main problem.

For me to believe Sloan is going to be a long term fullback, he needs to find the ground on kick returns. At the moment he is exactly like Dufty and is making no obvious effort to address the issue of getting pushed back 5m everytime.

possm

Coach
For me to believe Sloan is going to be a long term fullback, he needs to find the ground on kick returns. At the moment he is exactly like Dufty and is making no obvious effort to address the issue of getting pushed back 5m everytime.
Yes, like Duffty Soan is a very exciting in attack. However, he does need to address the issues that daw him dropped early in 2022. Ramsey should be available sometime in 2022 and therefore the pressure will be on again.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I thought he bulked up a bit during the off-season and is only 20 years old, so he has more to grow?

I thought he bulked up a bit during the off-season and is only 20 years old, so he has more to grow?
My concern is not with his size but his apparent inability to address his weaknesses. He has had a major issue for quite a while but still runs straight and tall at the defence. Dufty also seemed incapable of adapting his play and just played on instinct. The top fullbacks are thinkers and always evolving.

TruSaint

Referee

Yeah agree with this.

He also needs to be more aware as a fullback on our defensive line. His support play looked good last week.

TruSaint

Referee
Orrrr people could quit bitching in a forum and let the kid develop post not even 10 games as a starting FB? Maybe just maybe?

Orrrr we could post a love a thon with no critique.

Mate, its a forum. He has talent, we all know that and all want him to succeed.

Place would be boring as f**k if we all just "waited" to see.

I haven't seen anything resembling bitching about Sloane in the recent posts.

Illusion

Bench
Orrrr we could post a love a thon with no critique.

Mate, its a forum. He has talent, we all know that and all want him to succeed.

Place would be boring as f**k if we all just "waited" to see.

I haven't seen anything resembling bitching about Sloane in the recent posts.
Its not bitching , its as soon as a mistake is made by the young blokes , its drop him he cant tackle , that was after Sullys game when he missed a tackle on the Titans fullback ..... Seems to be ok when the seasoned players let tries in and its been happening for a long time and we accept it ..... We need to give them time , there will be dropped balls missed tackles by the young guys , and hay if it continues after a few weeks then they need to fix their deficiencies in lower grade ...... Anyway mate lets hope its a win tonight ......

TruSaint

Referee
Its not bitching , its as soon as a mistake is made by the young blokes , its drop him he cant tackle , that was after Sullys game when he missed a tackle on the Titans fullback ..... Seems to be ok when the seasoned players let tries in and its been happening for a long time and we accept it ..... We need to give them time , there will be dropped balls missed tackles by the young guys , and hay if it continues after a few weeks then they need to fix their deficiencies in lower grade ...... Anyway mate lets hope its a win tonight ......

Fair enough brother.

Saints x 6

Mojo

Bench
They’re in every office. My late brother’s favorite aphorism was ‘arseholes abound’.