What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

sammymills

Juniors
Sloan average tonight no attack or meters brimson from gold coast for me.
he did his job. Defensively was good i couldnt fault him. We have Rava, suli and lomax in our backline who run for 150 plus metres every game so dont need sloan to be doing that. I would like to see him link up with left side attack a bit more to open it up but he put in a good performance.

justadragon

Bench
I've done a bit of a comparison between Walsh and Sloan, Walsh is 177cm and 88kg, Sloan is 185cm and 84kg, this year according to the NRL website, Walsh has made a total of 13 tackles at 100% whilst Sloan has made 43 at 87.8% and missed 6. One thing is you can blame Sloan for certain deficiencies but our forward defence is certainly doing him no favours. Obviously in the games we have been ponded in they have run straight at him or he hasnt been in position. This worries me against the Warriors. Johnson is a smart operator and will be targeting Sloan with his forwards. If there was ever a game he needs some protection and the forwards to stand up, its this one.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I've done a bit of a comparison between Walsh and Sloan, Walsh is 177cm and 88kg, Sloan is 185cm and 84kg, this year according to the NRL website, Walsh has made a total of 13 tackles at 100% whilst Sloan has made 43 at 87.8% and missed 6. One thing is you can blame Sloan for certain deficiencies but our forward defence is certainly doing him no favours. Obviously in the games we have been ponded in they have run straight at him or he hasnt been in position. This worries me against the Warriors. Johnson is a smart operator and will be targeting Sloan with his forwards. If there was ever a game he needs some protection and the forwards to stand up, its this one.
Sloan's weight is definitely inaccurate. It's been the same since 2021 when he debuted because it's never been updated.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
During the last 2 games Sloan has returned the ball back with intensity. This has resulted in him poking through the defensive line & not getting pushed backwards. He can utilise his speed to cover the ground quickly like the Hammer for the Dolphins. This will also give him more momentum & power in his carry which will help our team immensely.

If he can continue this improvement then it'll narrow the gap between his best & worst games.

justadragon

Bench
During the last 2 games Sloan has returned the ball back with intensity. This has resulted in him poking through the defensive line & not getting pushed backwards. He can utilise his speed to cover the ground quickly like the Hammer for the Dolphins. This will also give him more momentum & power in his carry which will help our team immensely.

If he can continue this improvement then it'll narrow the gap between his best & worst games.
Doing this also gives him more confidence, loved the way he shrugged off DWZ.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I'm going to say what some people are afraid to say because they'll get hounded down by it...Sloan shits himself.

I saw it infront of my eyes live. Multiple high balls went up and he made a piss weak attempt to contest it. Either he thinks he can allow the opposition to catch it & then tackle the player but he's too weak to effectively tackle them or he doesn't want errors against his name.

He's scared to get hit. He's scared of the contact & he's scared to have errors against his name. He has one of the least competitive spirit I've seen from someone soo talented. Imo a lack of competitive spirit has plagued this club since Bennett left.

Some people have compared him to the great Nathan Blacklock but he's not got 10% of the competitiveness of Blacklock.

Happy to drop him to reserve grade until he shows some improvement in this area.

I don't care, he should be attacking the ball at every opportunity. He continues to make piss weak attempts at the contest.

TheRev

First Grade
o Negative: Dragons fans dont realise what they are missing with a proper hardened fullback in attack and defence.. Turuva would have been that for us.. we have been stuck in this loop of 2 bad games follow by 1 'half decent game' for Dufty or Sloan for so long now.. after a good try... everyone goes bananas and says "I told you so".

o Negative: Same thing happened when Ramsey was on the scene.. most of the fanbase hated his guts based on 2 dropped bombs in his first few games.. when he got his chance after braining it in cup... the calls were 'he's taking Sloans jersey.. what about Tyrells feelings?' Even Jack on the RedV was calling it every week... hes flipped now but it takes way too long to change a fans view on a fave (or hated) player... the coach has to move faster than that.

o Positive: However.. I actually dont care about the not taking bombs stuff so much.. if its statistically a better option and the coach and team are aware of it (and support accordingly).. go for it.. I had the same view on Corey Normans short dropouts.. the Walker brothers did the stats on this stuff.. its common now but fans lost their mind at the time.

o Positive: I still dont think we can drop Sloan, I think we have to just keep backing him, however by missing Turuva now we are truly in a dark place because we are walking into 2025 with just Sloan again as our only option bar Allan which I dont think is going to be much of an improvement.. and no Lomax either who does a lot of Sloans work.. I dont think we have the option to drop him.. so I think we have to just keep backing him... and being active on the recruitment market at the same time.. we need a 2nd option.

coastiedragon

Juniors
Look at roosters 3rd try. Butcher straight through liddle and rfm 13min in the game surely there not tired. Sloan stops him and just jogs while walker sprints out of dummy half chips for manu, Sloan jogging in back ground looking if someone going to cover him show some effort and sprint back. drop him back to reggies he needs to know its not acceptable

Look at roosters 3rd try. Butcher straight through liddle and rfm 13min in the game surely there not tired. Sloan stops him and just jogs while walker sprints out of dummy half chips for manu, Sloan jogging in back ground looking if someone going to cover him show some effort and sprint back. drop him back to reggies he needs to know its not acceptable
RFM was poor.