What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Finch asks for time to develop at Eels

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Survivor said:
I'll have to take your word for that. Be prepared for some real frustration with Finch. For every good thing he does he'll do 5 bad things.

yeah..whatever you reckon. :roll:

parra pete

Referee
Guess which player I'd leave out altogether to give Blake Green --or Feliti Mateo an opportunity to see IF they are tough enough and skilled enough to handle the NRL in either the half back or five eight position>>>

parra pete said:
Guess which player I'd leave out altogether to give Blake Green --or Feliti Mateo an opportunity to see IF they are tough enough and skilled enough to handle the NRL in either the half back or five eight position>>>

yeah, I agree Brett Finch.

Stagger eel

Staff member
if one had to go, i would lean towards Timmy at the moment.

But I'm willing to give both a fair shot at it.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
It's fair enough giving Finch enough time to settle in, but I think we should also draw a line in the sand to determine what is acceptable and unacceptable. If we win 3 from 12 games and our season is wiltering away we have a dud on our hands. With all things being equal and our forward pack playing reasonably well, winning 6 from 12 games is OK. Anything less than this is bye bye finchy and or Smithy.

There are no excuses for not Performing. I'm prepared to cut him some slack, and I guess we shouldn't look too far into trial form, but we need to get of to a good start regardless!

COACH STERLING said:
It's fair enough giving Finch enough time to settle in, but I think we should also draw a line in the sand to determine what is acceptable and unacceptable. If we win 3 from 12 games and our season is wiltering away we have a dud on our hands. With all things being equal and our forward pack playing reasonably well, winning 6 from 12 games is OK. Anything less than this is bye bye finchy and or Smithy.

There are no excuses for not Performing. I'm prepared to cut him some slack, and I guess we shouldn't look too far into trial form, but we need to get of to a good start regardless!

I agree.

The Colonel

Immortal
The start isn't the big thing, the finish is more important. 4 wins from our first ten provided they aren't absolute floggings IMO is an acceptable outcome based on a worst case scenario. The finish is the big thing - plenty of sides have proved that in the past years.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
The Colonel said:
The start isn't the big thing, the finish is more important. 4 wins from our first ten provided they aren't absolute floggings IMO is an acceptable outcome based on a worst case scenario. The finish is the big thing - plenty of sides have proved that in the past years.

It's a fine line though. We only win 4 games and the pressure starts to mount. Making the top 4 is where you want to be. You cant win a comp at the start of the year but you can certainly lose one. There no point coming 7th or 8th, so we need to aim a little higher.

V1er

Juniors
We usually start slow at the begining of the season as well, I can't recall when we got off to a great start to a season, we usually improve as the season goes by.

The Colonel

Immortal
COACH STERLING said:
It's a fine line though. We only win 4 games and the pressure starts to mount. Making the top 4 is where you want to be. You cant win a comp at the start of the year but you can certainly lose one. There no point coming 7th or 8th, so we need to aim a little higher.

Fine line maybe but making the top 6 with this squad at the moment given the youth and new players would be a great acheivement IMO. Anything less than that might be disappointing but anything higher could well be another overacheivement. Talk of winning comps at this stage is premature. Sure its where we want to be but realistically I think it may be a year away.

We have a good strong squad but we also have a lot of questions marks over those players and a new coach. If they answer them this year than 2008 should be a better year.

4 out of 10 is a good pass mark. Anything better is a bonus.

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:

would you prefer 7th or 8th tas opposed to 9th then.

:D

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
4 out of 10 is a good pass mark.

I don't think that 4 out of 10 is considered a pass mark in anyone's books Colonel, let alone a good one.
That means we'd be outside the top 9.
Not good enough, unless you meant something else. :?

Suity

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
would you prefer 7th or 8th tas opposed to 9th then.

:D

9th doesn't come into the equation Eela.

Realistically, winning a comp might be a little optimistic, but anything less than 6th should be considered a failure. ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I don't think that 4 out of 10 is considered a pass mark in anyone's books Colonel, let alone a good one.

Suity

Thats your opinion, 4/10 being a pass mark is mine. I'd be happier with more but I won't be jumping up and down if that is how it pans out. Less may be a problem.

I look at the squad we have at the moment and the biggest question marks are the halves and the front row.
Sure we have Moimoi and Cayless but the experience behind those guys is limited. Take into consideration that Moimoi is on a knifes edge due to the judiciary and while we have some potential in those forwards we are in a similar position in terms of depth to last year when injuries occured.

We also have a new halves pairing that is going to take time to develop. It could even change.

I expect more from the last half of the season at this point then I do the first part. Anything over and above that 4/10 is a great acheivement IMO.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Suitman said:

Suity

Agree.

Imagine this scenario, We win against the Warriors and Wabbits, and come into our first home game against the tigpies with a chance of making it 3-0.

I think that's what Hagan was suggesting when making comments to the media about starting the season well. In all honesty, the palyers themselves would also view something like a 4/10 start dissapointing.

The Colonel

Immortal
COACH STERLING said:
Agree.

Imagine this scenario, We win against the Warriors and Wabbits, and come into our first home game against the tigpies with a chance of making it 3-0.

The Warriors game will be a tough proposition. Souths will also have a point to prove early on, not to mention Taylor. Both teams are not easy beats - Souths being much stronger than last year. The Tigers may well be a good shot at a win for us.

The club has been notoriously slow starters in the opening weeks. I remember a thread here in 2005 talking up how we should have three wins form our first three and we were lucky to win one.

I'd like to see your scenario, don't get me wrong but I think people need to be a little more realistic about our chances in the early stages of the season.

V1er

Juniors
and if i remember rightly, we got ourselves smashed by a no name souths team in 2005 in round 2? ceratainly wouldnt hit panic stations if we lost the first couple of matches.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
The Colonel said:
The Warriors game will be a tough proposition. Souths will also have a point to prove early on, not to mention Taylor. Both teams are not easy beats - Souths being much stronger than last year. The Tigers may well be a good shot at a win for us.

The club has been notoriously slow starters in the opening weeks. I remember a thread here in 2005 talking up how we should have three wins form our first three and we were lucky to win one.

I'd like to see your scenario, don't get me wrong but I think people need to be a little more realistic about our chances in the early stages of the season.

There's certainly no easy games that's for sure. Most experts would have us finish higher than all 3 teams above. I just think its better get of to a flier, rather than trying to factor a few losses into the equation. Having a successful season may depend on the first 10 weeks.

Time will tell........

Latest posts