What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Four Nations: Joey Leilua v Michael Jennings in State of Origin showdown

Scubby

Juniors
RL has limited potential growth if the pinnacle of our sport are 3 games played between two states of Australia each year. This is why changes need to be made to allow for the growth of international RL. Our administrators would have to be very short sighted if they believe that Origin can forever be our pinnacle without detriment to the wider game

This is just one statement away from being solved. The Origin rules are tight which means SBW, Sam Burgess, Shaun Johnson, Semi Randrandra can never play.

There are a small number of NSW/Qld qualified players like Segerayo, Leulia, Milford, Maed who are reluctantly giving up test jerseys to get the 30k per game Origin cheques.

When Leulia says I'm going to have to give up playing for 'my country' then you know something is terribly wrong.

hutch

First Grade
Not the point mate, completely irrelevant really

Origin is here to stay because the rivalry is baked in to the supporter base. The quality of the football has never been the driver in its 30+ year history, ever

Its just sad that those on the outside are that jealous that they need to death ride it even though its completely unnecessary.

Perhaps if all of the Australian media stopped referring to it as the pinnacle of our sport or there is no higher honour, completely disrespecting every other rugby league playing nation and 100+ years of history then people might stop bagging it. I love origin time, but the highest honour is playing for you country and the last 2 England v nz games are as good, if not better than any origin game.

I always thought you could only change countries after a world cup cycle is over. Must have got that one wrong. Can anyone explain?

I'm for the playing origin and for another nation if you qualify for both. Keep origin age at 12 or 13 though as I think allowing players who mover to Australia as young adults to play would cheapen origin.

hutch

First Grade
Josh McGuire with more garbage.

http://www.nrl.com/mcguire-rakes-in-samoan-opportunity/tabid/10874/newsid/82922/default.aspx

McGuire was considered by many to be a strong chance of making his Kangaroos debut after playing a part in the Prime Minister's XIII side that defeated Papua New Guinea 34-16 in Kokopo.

But the 24-year-old was overlooked for younger talents such as Dylan Napa and David Klemmer, the latter of whom made his debut against England last week.

"They went in the direction they wanted to go in and I wasn't a part of it, so that's fine. I don't have a point to prove," McGuire said.

"I just wanted to keep playing footy and I had the opportunity to keep doing it here, which I can't thank [coach Matt Parish] and Samoa enough for helping me do it. I'm really enjoying my footy at the moment and I can't wait to play next Sunday."

It was the second time McGuire had been overlooked by coach Tim Sheens after being left out of a similarly depleted squad for the corresponding tournament in 2011 having previously represented Samoa in 2010.

"It is what it is. It's the Australian team, it's the hardest to make in the whole world," McGuire said.

"Obviously I would've liked to be there, but I didn't get it and that's what it is. I have this opportunity now, it's been a blessing and I can't thank the team enough for letting me and I'll do everything I can this week to get the win."

Despite the disappointment of missing out on a maiden Kangaroos jumper, the Brisbane junior said the tournament was a huge opportunity for Origin hopefuls to showcase their abilities on a bigger stage.

After two games, McGuire tops the tackle count for the Four Nations with 86, while also leading his team in carries.

"Obviously in Origin you're playing against the best players in the world but if you can show that you can play some good footy here and hold your own, then it certainly wouldn't do your chances any harm," he said.

"It's a great opportunity for everyone here to showcase what you can do. A lot of players are playing for NRL contracts too, so it's just a good opportunity across the board for everyone to play some good footy and enjoy yourselves."

This is just one statement away from being solved. The Origin rules are tight which means SBW, Sam Burgess, Shaun Johnson, Semi Randrandra can never play.

There are a small number of NSW/Qld qualified players like Segerayo, Leulia, Milford, Maed who are reluctantly giving up test jerseys to get the 30k per game Origin cheques.

When Leulia says I'm going to have to give up playing for 'my country' then you know something is terribly wrong.

I agree with your sentiment but Leulia was born in Arncliffe Sydney.

Scubby

Juniors
I agree with your sentiment but Leulia was born in Arncliffe Sydney.

My son was born outside the UK to UK parents and grandparents. Does that make him any less English?

Leulia said I am going to have to give up playing for 'my country' to play Origin in that article and he wasn't talking about Australia. He has 7 caps for Samoa already.

Noname36

First Grade

Leilua was born in Australia though.

At the end of the day if you force players that have international heritage but are still eligible to play for Australia and subsequently SOO to pledge their alliances to one nation at the start of their careers and never let them play for another the international game will drop even further. Bottom line is that players want to play SOO. It's the pinnacle of the game. If a talented young player coming through is forced to choose they're going to go with Australia so they have the opportunity to play SOO.

I can certainly see some positives about the way it's done now. It does make a mockery of the international game but it also strengthens it. It allows players like Leilua to play for Samoa which they couldn't if they were forced to choose between one or the other. I don't think a player should have to choose between their country of birth or their country of heritage anyway. Leilua is of Samoan heritage but he's also a born and bred new south welshman.

Last edited:

Scubby

Juniors

At the end of the day if you force players that have international heritage but are still eligible to play for Australia and subsequently SOO to pledge their alliances to one nation at the start of their careers and never let them play for another the international game will drop even further. Bottom line is that players want to play SOO. It's the pinnacle of the game. If a talented young player coming through is forced to choose they're going to go with Australia so they have the opportunity to play SOO.

I can certainly see some positives about the way it's done now. It does make a mockery of the international game but it also strengthens it. It allows players like Leilua to play for Samoa which they couldn't if they were forced to choose between one or the other. I don't think a player should have to choose between their country of birth or their country of heritage anyway. Leilua is of Samoan heritage but he's also a born and bred new south welshman.

Do you understand that he is going to be stopped playing for Samoa in order to play Origin and then forced to play for Australia if he wants to play International RL? How is that getting things right?

Why would he call Samoa 'My country' if he wasn't passionate about playing for it. Origin is an inter-state rep series. It shouldn't be telling anybody who they can and can't play for internationally.

RedVee

First Grade

You do realise that either way he has to make a choice? If the rules change he could be a NSW & possibly Aust player, or a NSW and Samoa player. His choice. I would think such a choice would also require a "country for life" or at least a decent stand down period between Nation swaps.

Or are we suggesting that we change Origen regs, but continue with the farce of players switching Nations whenever they aren't picked for a certain nation???

RedVee

First Grade

He is saying he has only played for Samoa because he didn't get picked for Australia.

I'm assuming McGuire is eligible via the Grandfather rule? (Not the Great Grandfather non rule :) ). I fully expect by the time the players of the last 10 year or so have children coming through, a "country your Father/Grandfather played for" to come into the regs.
It will allow the otherwise non eligble offspring to play Intl football even if they don't make their country of eligibility squad.

yeah right, and NZ was hoffman's country, until he wasn't selected and started bleating about becoming an ocker again and playing for Qld!!

and let's not forget Toni carrol, another proud kiwi, but only when it suited him!!

and those proud kiwis fein and Webb, I wonder what they are up to now?

Evil Homer

Staff member
You do realise that either way he has to make a choice? If the rules change he could be a NSW & possibly Aust player, or a NSW and Samoa player. His choice. I would think such a choice would also require a "country for life" or at least a decent stand down period between Nation swaps.

Or are we suggesting that we change Origen regs, but continue with the farce of players switching Nations whenever they aren't picked for a certain nation???
For that to work we'd need a standardized international schedule for all nations, and ideally equal match payments. The current system isn't great and obviously it doesn't help when blokes like McGuire are taking the piss, although to be fair I don't think he's doing it maliciously, he just seems like a dumb kid who has had Origin shoved down his throat his whole life. I think the majority of these blokes though legitimately do want to play for the nations and would be a good chance of committing under one nation for life as long as it didn't harm their opportunities or affect them too much financially.

Joker's Wild

Coach
RL has limited potential growth if the pinnacle of our sport are 3 games played between two states of Australia each year. This is why changes need to be made to allow for the growth of international RL. Our administrators would have to be very short sighted if they believe that Origin can forever be our pinnacle without detriment to the wider game

Perhaps if all of the Australian media stopped referring to it as the pinnacle of our sport or there is no higher honour, completely disrespecting every other rugby league playing nation and 100+ years of history then people might stop bagging it. I love origin time, but the highest honour is playing for you country and the last 2 England v nz games are as good, if not better than any origin game.

There is little to no evidence of either of these happening

SOO is so huge and gets so much media exposure in NSW and Qld, the 2 biggest RL audiences in the southern hemisphere if not the world, because it involves surprisingly NSW and Qld. The games are tough and the players are passionate and that seeps into the fan base however I cant recall any media article using the words "pinnacle of RL" anywhere

Im happy to be proven wrong if you could link an example of said articles but I dont believe they exist

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
There is little to no evidence of either of these happening

SOO is so huge and gets so much media exposure in NSW and Qld, the 2 biggest RL audiences in the southern hemisphere if not the world, because it involves surprisingly NSW and Qld. The games are tough and the players are passionate and that seeps into the fan base however I cant recall any media article using the words "pinnacle of RL" anywhere

Im happy to be proven wrong if you could link an example of said articles but I dont believe they exist

:lol: Google search and 2 minutes later.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...for-rugby-league/story-fni3fqyo-1226939900588

http://www.foxsports.com.au/special...917841164?nk=c07a1e8aee6848b94da65f71dec01580

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...questions-for-six-experts-20140627-zsnz9.html

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ng-run-that-defied-belief-20140618-zsdzt.html

would you also like media quotes from guys like Bellamy, Hayne, Burgess etc referring to it as the "pinnacle of the game". Just have a listen to the TV around Origin time, listen to the commentary. It's repeated constantly.

hutch

First Grade

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...for-rugby-league/story-fni3fqyo-1226939900588

http://www.foxsports.com.au/special...917841164?nk=c07a1e8aee6848b94da65f71dec01580

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...questions-for-six-experts-20140627-zsnz9.html

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ng-run-that-defied-belief-20140618-zsdzt.html

would you also like media quotes from guys like Bellamy, Hayne, Burgess etc referring to it as the "pinnacle of the game". Just have a listen to the TV around Origin time, listen to the commentary. It's repeated constantly.

Thanks for the links. I can recall hundreds of times the media has referred it the pinnacle. You'd have to be a hermit for 3 months of a year to deny every hearing it.

some11

Referee
Back to the thread topic - Blowjob is getting absolutely mugged by Jennings today.

maccattack

Juniors
Clearly Australia need more Samoans in the side. Getting via Origin is whats required. Said nobody ever.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Fair enough. I dont read the courier fail up here and i watch the game at the pub so the commentary is barely audible

Seems like the players are the ones driving it too and they are the ones playing, id imagine they feel that it means more. Again, I cant see that trying to weaken SOO will fix that. Strenthening and improving the quantity of the Intl game would though along with providing parity of $$.

I guess at the end of the day the media just writes to appeal to the punters