What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Keating future on hold

Delboy

First Grade
lingard, we will have this so called argument for a while, Robson is a great defender and offers a lot there. Play him at 9, as I believe that is where he will end up and probably offers more at that position, don't want him necessarily out of the team, just not at 7

CrazyEel

Bench
When analysing half backs most discussion revolves around one of
a) direction and organisation
b) kicking game
c) passing game
d) running game

Not all good halfs have all of those traits but they usually have at least 3 of the 4. Robson has none of those and even those protecting him avoid discussion on all of those points.

Robson is an honest toiler but he has been a reserve grader for the last 7 years at various clubs because he is not a half back of NRL standard and nothing is going to change that. In fact he is so damn pedestrian and predictable that opposition defences are basically ignoring Robson and targeting all their attention on stifling Mortimer which is working extremely well.

The sad thing is we simply don't have a proper half so we have to make do with what we have but to pretend Robson is actually a good half back is just plain ridiculous.

Delboy

First Grade
Crazyeel, what agreat summary of the real issue

Morts is getting targetted, and the pressure will remain as long as there are no options at first receiver. Last year he was a bit under the radar, but now it is too easy to read and consequently we get no impetus from around the halves. Rush the 6, as the 7 is limited

lingard

Coach
lingard, we will have this so called argument for a while, Robson is a great defender and offers a lot there. Play him at 9, as I believe that is where he will end up and probably offers more at that position, don't want him necessarily out of the team, just not at 7

That`s fair enough. I just think it`s odd that Parramatta has had one loss (by six points against the form team in the comp at the moment) and one very lucky win - and people point the finger at the halves. Especially Robson (who is the only half actually doing anything.) Watch that game again and tell me one decent thing that either Mortimer or Keating actually did. But not a soul has talked about the abysmal handling errors or the stupid penalties conceded or the fact that the forwards are not yet combining and are not fit yet. I simply don`t get it.
And the fact that MORTIMER is being targetted and is not getting the ball to Tahu would be.....let`s see...... ah yes, it would be Robson`s fault. Not the fault of the forwards or the fact that we had hardly any possession in the first half, and therefor no momentum and no opportunity to mount any attack. And even after it has been generally agreed that Matt Keating`s service in the first half was way too slow and ineffective.........it`s still Robson`s fault.....`cause "he`s not a half back". Am I getting it now?
But seriously; my point is that it`s WAY TOO EARLY to be looking at our halves yet. They are NOT our problem right now. Maybe later, when everything else starts to gel, but not yet.

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
b) kicking game
c) passing game
d) running game

Not all good halfs have all of those traits but they usually have at least 3 of the 4. Robson has none of those and even those protecting him avoid discussion on all of those points.

Robson is an honest toiler but he has been a reserve grader for the last 7 years at various clubs because he is not a half back of NRL standard and nothing is going to change that. In fact he is so damn pedestrian and predictable that opposition defences are basically ignoring Robson and targeting all their attention on stifling Mortimer which is working extremely well.

The sad thing is we simply don't have a proper half so we have to make do with what we have but to pretend Robson is actually a good half back is just plain ridiculous.

but he's got a cracker of a grassing leg tackle!!!!!! :lol:

yy_cheng

Coach
Just wanted to give Robbo a big wrap in the Drags game too. He basically shut down Creagh.

I would seriously consider shifting Robbo to Tahu's side.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
b) kicking game
c) passing game
d) running game

You dont rate attitude or maturity much do you? Iv seen several times now Morts has gone missing when the pressure is on. If he is going to be our chief playmaker, that cannot happen.

Robsons maturity and attitude rub off to the rest of the team, having KK and Morts running the show is just asking for many heart breaks.

I am not confident to say that Mortimer, and to some extent KK, are ready to win us a game when its in the balance. Not yet, Mortimer looks like he needs more time, a year im thinking.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
jarrod mullen, mitchell pearce, todd carney, peter wallace etc were all immature and inexperienced (naturally like anyone who comes to grade) but are all brilliant halfbacks today because of the backing the received. all those clubs could have easily gone with some geriatric reserve grader who was more "mature" but made the right and didn't risk losing their next superstars. let's bring back sterlo because he's more "mature".

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
jarrod mullen, mitchell pearce, todd carney, peter wallace etc were all immature and inexperienced (naturally like anyone who comes to grade) but are all brilliant halfbacks today because of the backing the received. all those clubs could have easily gone with some geriatric reserve grader who was more "mature" but made the right and didn't risk losing their next superstars. let's bring back sterlo because he's more "mature".

Yeah clap clap, way to look past the point.

Mullen had Johns in his early days, Wallace has Lockyer and had Gower, Pearce has Anasta. They had support of a senior player in the halves to help them steer the side around. Carney had Jason Smith, notice how Thurston blossomed with Jason Smith at the Cowboys, Cronk had Scott Hill.

None of them were the chief playmakers in their early days, they had someone else to do that for them, a mentor. Someone like Tim Smith could probably have really used a mentor.

There are some exceptions to the rule, I think Kimmorley got away without one on field with him, so did Johns and perhaps Fittler.

Delboy

First Grade
I think it is fair comment to suggest that one of the reasons this year that Mortimer is not prominent, is that opposition target him as 2nd receiver and don't bother too much with Robson.

Last year they didn't have a lot of understanding of what each player offered, now they have done their homework and Morts is suffering as the focus is on him. My opinion is unchanged, can't have MK and Robson starting or on the field for too long as they are too similar and don't challenge the line. I love the wholehearted approach of Robson but I don't see that as offering much more than Finch.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think it is fair comment to suggest that one of the reasons this year that Mortimer is not prominent, is that opposition target him as 2nd receiver and don't bother too much with Robson.

Ill agree with that somewhat, I believe its up to Mortimer to add more variety to his game so that he becomes harder to target.

Kornstar

Coach
Can't believe some of the hate for kk in here tbh.....

I think Mortimer needs to decide whether to pass or run as he gets the ball, he seems to already have his play in his head before he gets the ball and because teams are rushing him he doesn't seem to be able to adjust quickly enough yet.

He is very quick off the mark and I think he needs to step and run more when they are rushing him.

natheel

Coach
I have faith morts will come right this year and provide us with some great form this year the energy of the team revolves around fui hayne and even robbo Fui for his go forward and bustling runs, robbo for his determined defence for a little bloke and hayne for his magic moments and snap desicions
once fui gets the forwards pumped and all going forward we will see morts run riot and then kk when he comes on the field

yy_cheng

Coach

Last year they didn't have a lot of understanding of what each player offered, now they have done their homework and Morts is suffering as the focus is on him. My opinion is unchanged, can't have MK and Robson starting or on the field for too long as they are too similar and don't challenge the line. I love the wholehearted approach of Robson but I don't see that as offering much more than Finch.

Besides being a few times cheaper

Latest posts