What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Raiders Like the Look of Ando

thickos

First Grade
Raiders like look of Ando

chrisanderson_wideweb__470x418,0.jpg
In the picture … the Raiders may give former Kangaroos and premiership-winning coach Chris Anderson, who had a stint at a Welsh rugby union club, a chance to return from the rugby league coaching wilderness.
Photo: Getty Images

CANBERRA may provide the opportunity Chris Anderson has been seeking to resurrect his NRL coaching career after Raiders chairman John McIntyre yesterday instructed the club's management to strongly consider him.

McIntyre, Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins and general manager Don Furner met to discuss coaching possibilities for next year as the Raiders began to prepare for life after Matthew Elliott, who will finish as coach at the end of this season.

Elliott agreed to terms with Penrith on Sunday to take over from John Lang next season.

McIntyre, one of the most experienced administrators in the game, yesterday said he had enormous respect for Anderson, who has not coached in the NRL since an acrimonious split with Cronulla at the end of the 2003 season.

"We came up with a few names at the meeting and I mentioned Chris Anderson," McIntyre said. "If he told us he was available, he would definitely be interviewed. He would be seriously considered for the job because he is a proven winner."

Anderson recently applied for the Newcastle job that is still vacant from the end of this season, but the Knights did not consider him, apparently because of the perception that he can be divisive.

Asked if he was worried about that perception, McIntyre replied: "I'm not concerned by that sort of talk at all. I'm going on results and Anderson won premierships with the Bulldogs and Melbourne and he was very successful as Australian coach as well.

"I always remember what he did with the Bulldogs in 1995. The Super League war was on and four of his players defected to Parramatta in the middle of the season. It could have ruined the team's premiership campaign, but instead they went on to win the competition. I just thought it was an outstanding performance by a coach to handle that sort of adversity and still win. It really impressed me."

Anderson is a self-described career coach whose last job was with Welsh rugby union club Newport Gwent Dragons in 2004. A source last night said Anderson would be interested to hear from the Raiders.

McIntyre added that if former Canberra assistant coach Terry Matterson were available, he would be worth considering as well, but Matterson, who finished at the Raiders at the end of last season, has only just begun a two-year contract as coach of English club Castleford.

"Terry left here on very good terms and if he was available he would be a chance," McIntyre said. "But he is in England coaching, so I don't know if he could become available."

Elliott's assistant, David Furner, also has support within the club, while former Canberra and Brisbane star Kevin Walters yesterday confirmed that he would be applying for the Raiders job. John Lang, who will finish as Penrith coach at the end of this season to make way for Elliott, yesterday was philosophical about the club's decision not to offer him a new deal.

"There's an old saying, where there's smoke there's fire," he said. "I've been getting a few blokes ringing me up and asking me about my job and I hadn't heard anything from the club, so, no, I wasn't shocked."

Yet Lang made it clear he was unhappy CEO Glenn Matthews had not told him first before the club signed another coach, as the pair had agreed if it ever came to that. "I was [disappointed]," Lang said. "I told him so."

But Lang said he would not hold a grudge. Matthews said he fully understood why Lang was upset and that this experience had taught the CEO that he had probably been "commercially naive" in making such an agreement.

Lang said he was available to coach again next year, but that he would not be applying for jobs.

"I've been in this [NRL] game for 13 years," Lang said. "So I think if anybody's interested I'm sure they would be able to get hold of my number."

Meanwhile, Newcastle officials have received a number of new applications for the vacant 2007 coaching job from Great Britain and New Zealand as well as Australia.

Of the possible candidates in Super League, former Warriors coach Daniel Anderson is contracted to St Helens until the end of next season but wants to return to the NRL in 2008, while fellow Australian Ian Millward has two more years at Wigan.

"Daniel isn't looking to come back until 2008 but the way things are going clubs will be making those appointments in March or April," Anderson's agent Jim Banaghan said.

Elsewhere, Souths' Beau Champion has pleaded guilty to a grade-one careless high tackle charge but will miss suspension, while Manly's Travis Burns faces a one-match ban for a dangerous throw.

legend

Coach
Lol. Not sure what to think of Anderson as he did have problems with both Melbourne and Cronulla.

Still no mention of Brian Smith though and I think he could be positive for the club purely based on the structure he provides for elite young talent coming through the ranks.

thickos

First Grade
I think Ando is the merkin this club needs. Sure he has had some less-than-happy splits with a couple of his former clubs, but he is a winner with a proven record of success both here and in England. He has also coached Australia. I think anyone with his profile would be a welcome addition to the Raiders, as we can't afford another 'nice guy', which I think Kev Walters would be.

Ando, Smith, Lang and Stuart would be the four I'd be pursuing.

Roy Rover

Juniors
Well going off that picture I certainly don't 'Like The Look of Ando'!
But having said that we certainly could do a whole lot worse.

aussies1st

Staff member
Anyone of those 4 coaches needing a job would do me. Anderson, Smtih, Lang and Stuart all have proven to be successful coaches.

Timbo

Staff member
I'd take Anderson.

Still preferring Brian Smith but Anderson definitely gets my thumbs up.

Panjabi

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Walters-puts-hand-up-for-Raiders-job/2006/02/21/1140284042402.html

Walters puts hand up for Raiders job
Former Brisbane assistant Kevin Walters will apply for the head coaching position at Canberra following the unexpected departure of Matthew Elliott next season.

The Raiders are on the lookout for a new coach for 2007 after Elliott signed a three-year deal with Penrith late last week.

Walters, who played 35 games at five-eighth for Canberra between 1987 and 1989, said he was keen for a return to his old club.

"Definitely, I'll go through my manager Wayne Beavis and we'll make moves to make sure it's done in a proper way," Walters said.

"It does interest me but it's Canberra's interest that means the most, who they want to have as coach.

"I'll let the dust settle first and see what happens after that.

"I'd like the opportunity to coach in the NRL, that's my passion and my desire.

"I've had some good times down there with the Raiders. I don't know about me being a favourite son but I've played and have some history down there.

"I know what the place is all about, so you look at the positives, I suppose."

Walters has been devoting his energies to his business, Hand Wash Cafe, since being cut from the Broncos' support staff at the end of last year.

But the former Kangaroo is adamant he is ready to step up to first grade.

"I've got high aspirations for myself and my ability," he said.

"I know where I'm at, what I can handle and what I can't.

"I certainly think coaching a first grade side falls into the category of can-handle basket."

Working against Walters is the Raiders' intention to lure a big-name coach in order to attract players to the nation's capital.

"With a high-profile coach it's easier to attract players here, so that's one of the ingredients in making the decision as to who that might be," Canberra CEO Simon Hawkins said.

"I had a fair few phone calls, both last night and this morning, about people that would love to put their hand up for the job.

"There won't be a problem in finding a very good candidate for the position."

Another former Raiders legend, Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga, said Walters would be a good candidate.

"He's got plenty of potential and he's looking for an opportunity," said Meninga, who ruled out another crack at coaching the Raiders.

"I think he'd do pretty well, I had a fair bit to do with him in Origin preparation when he was my staff member."

Meninga also nominated North Queensland assistant coach Neil Henry as a good fit for the club.

"Being a local Canberra bloke, that's where his family is, I think it would be prudent to approach him and see where he's at.

"Knowing him he'd be very interested."

Former Canberra five-eighth Laurie Daley said the Raiders would have no problems attracting candidates.

"They have got some of the best young talent in the game," Daley said.

"It's never a hard sell getting a first grade coach, there's only 15 positions available and I reckon there are plenty of people wanting to get the job."

Meanwhile, Elliott preferred to keep his reasons for leaving the Raiders private when quizzed about his move to the Panthers.

"It wasn't the easiest of decisions but now I've made it ... the thing that's on my mind is that we've got a trial on this weekend to get us ready for round one against Manly," he said.

dubby

Bench
If it came to Opes and Smithy, i think i'd opt for Opes. Every year in the RLW players poll, the least favoured coach was B Smith. For that reason alone, i vote for Opes, Stuart, then SMith.

I would be very happy if we got either of those 3. Lang would be ok, i guess.
I hope Hawkins is fair dinkum about getting an experienced campaigner who could attract some decent players here to the club.

Macko8

Juniors
chris anderson very interesting.
i gotta say i'd prefer a chris anderson over the likes of furner and walters(too inexeperienced)
But anderson over the likes of Lang,Stuart and Smith,NO WAY!!!
I say bring out the big bucks and get stuart back where he belongs!!
If Mcintyre is very experienced at what he does he'd be going all the way for someone like Stuart.

Rohan

Juniors
Panjabi said:
Another former Raiders legend, Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga, said Walters would be a good candidate.

"He's got plenty of potential and he's looking for an opportunity," said Meninga, who ruled out another crack at coaching the Raiders.

"I think he'd do pretty well, I had a fair bit to do with him in Origin preparation when he was my staff member."

If Meninga is recommending him he should be struck of the list of potential candidates immediately!

woodgers

Bench
Anderson is interesting. On one hand he has coached Australia and might attract some high profile players. Jamie Lyon played under him at the Kangaroos so there is an example of a player who may really consider the Raiders who otherwise mightn't.

On the other hand heaps of players dislike him, it is a well known fact. I couldn't say for sure why he is disliked but for some reason he is.

Brian Smith is apparently a bugger of a coach. I heard from someone a year or two ago who knows a Raiders player who came from Parra that he left because he refused to work under him anymore and that he belittled players in the dressing room in front of other players. That is what I heard, could be complete BS for all I know....

Who knows what is the best option at this stage?

Raider Azz

Bench
yeah i heard that too woodgers, in fact one of the main reasons shif left canberra was because he couldnt get a first grade spot under smith.

Chips

Juniors
The Players did like Elliott there is not doubts about that, Anderson cant do a Peachey on Schif though that would be sad

I think rather than totally starting from scratch like at Cronulla he needs to work with what he has, players like Carney, Withers, Zillman, Ale, Weyman, Tilse, Learoyd and Thurling need to be held on too...or at least the main majority, we need to see his coaching ability enhance these players futures and not hinder....get rid of Lomu he hasnt shown any of the Form he had in 02 against the Roosters

Latest posts