What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Robson delighted at career turnaround

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't get the Robbo hate...

Last I checked, just off the top of my head:

* Mortimer's first try against Penrith came off a Robson kick
* I'm pretty sure he put up a chip kick for Inu to score a few weeks back

And I think everyone can see he is improving. I, personally, saw good things from him when he made his debut for us against the Dragons. But he has improved out of sight, and has become a vastly under-rated contributor to this team. He offers way more than Finch ever did because of the simple fact that Robson can kick; he can run; and he can pass.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
great defender and a very high work rate, but sorry, he offers nothing in offence

he's a Finch clone

kicks down the fullbacks throat and passes off to players in no better positions than himself and he will not run at the line, I'm still yet to see him put some one through a hole

I'll cheers him on in the blue and gold but he is good backup and he belongs at Wenty imo

He is better than Finch. He doesn't think he is best playmaker in the game. Robson runs at the line quite a lot and his role is not to put players into gaps, it is the link man in the backline movements.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Good on him, he has earnt the contract for next year thats for sure. He may bot be flashy but he won't try and be something he's not. EG Finch.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Just on Finch, Melbourne don't seem to be doing too bad with the forward pass throwing, knocking on speed bump.

Put Robson in the team when Finch was there and I doubt too many will be saying he was better

likewise put Finch in the team as they are going now and I doubt the side would be going worse and might even be going better.

Back on the subject

Robson has been a solid player and as some have said he is a link man much in the same mould as when Penna was halfback with the likes of Jason Smith, Jim Dymock and so around him.

The team doesn't need a Johns, Sterling or dare even say Galbraith in the 7 when the likes of Mortimer, Mateo, Hayne and the 2 hookers are creating the bulk of the plays

84 Baby

Referee
Robson has been a solid player and as some have said he is a link man much in the same mould as when Penna was halfback with the likes of Jason Smith, Jim Dymock and so around him.
That's a real good point and comparison. Though I believe Penna was heavily underrated in terms of individual skill

yy_cheng

Coach
As mentioned in earlier postings "Without Robson" the Eels will not win the GF. Its as simple as that!!!!!!! He is so valuable to the team in so many ways that his utility value in the 7 roll seems to pass over the heads of so many posters in this forum. Fortunately DA knows JR value and is almost/probably the 1st picked player in his brain each week. The present team dynamics are built around a few essential players, one of them being Robbo.

Booooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

As much as how much I think Robson FITS into this team, he is replaceable.

I think we could have Mortz at 7 and Wagon at 6 and play a similar game.

Hindy, Fui and Hayne are the ones that are irreplaceable

yy_cheng

Coach
Just on Finch, Melbourne don't seem to be doing too bad with the forward pass throwing, knocking on speed bump.

Put Robson in the team when Finch was there and I doubt too many will be saying he was better

likewise put Finch in the team as they are going now and I doubt the side would be going worse and might even be going better.

Back on the subject

The team doesn't need a Johns, Sterling or dare even say Galbraith in the 7 when the likes of Mortimer, Mateo, Hayne and the 2 hookers are creating the bulk of the plays

Who are you?

Are you new?

I doubt that Finch in this team would work as it does now.

I reckon Finch's off field behavior would also affect this team detrimentally.

Finch's execution is slow and poor. Robson's is better.

Melbourne have Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith to hide all of Finch's bad stuff.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Robson's solid on-field persona is a plus when compared to the erratic, often spiteful and rarely inspirational finch. I liked finch, i just think Robson is a better fit.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Who are you?

Are you new?

I doubt that Finch in this team would work as it does now.

I reckon Finch's off field behavior would also affect this team detrimentally.

Finch's execution is slow and poor. Robson's is better.

Melbourne have Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith to hide all of Finch's bad stuff.

Well I guess Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith are just better then Hayne, Inu, Mortimer and Mateo

yy_cheng

Coach
Well I guess Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith are just better then Hayne, Inu, Mortimer and Mateo

Umm yes.

Last year, beginning of this year and now.

Hayne/Slater - are very close, Hayne only slightly better

The rest are NO CONTESTS.

Inglis vs INU

Cronk vs Mortz

Smith vs Mateo (in present form and frame of mind)

Gaffman

Juniors
He is better than Finch. He doesn't think he is best playmaker in the game. Robson runs at the line quite a lot and his role is not to put players into gaps, it is the link man in the backline movements.

Bingo! while Finch and Robson have similar styles of play, Robson understands his role at the club is to feed the ball to the more creative attacking players and hold his own in defense. Finch thought HE WAS the most creative attacking player in our side and would constantly come up with the wrong play at the wrong time.

yy_cheng

Coach
Bingo! while Finch and Robson have similar styles of play, Robson understands his role at the club is to feed the ball to the more creative attacking players and hold his own in defense. Finch thought HE WAS the most creative attacking player in our side and would constantly come up with the wrong play at the wrong time.

To be fair to Finch, it was quoted in many articles that DA wanted him to be the main organizer and that he would be the centre of everything.

The only problem was that Finch cannot execute well.

DA saw this and had to rewrite his strategy.

Finch, I still reckon, would've made a good lock. Where he doesn't need to playmake but on the odd ocassion.

lingard

Coach
</H1>
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest.../eels-set-to-re-sign-jeff-robson/default.aspx

I think he does need to learn to go to the line and not always look to pass. There were times on Sunday that had he run instead of looking to pass he could have found open space. That said I think he is doing a great job particularly down the right side.

Yeah, I agree. Funny thing is, during his first few games he was running to the line more and occasionally getting through. He seems to have stopped that now. I wonder is that the coach's instructions? I can't see why he couldn't do it again.

lingard

Coach
So Kingston is definatly off contract?

as for Lowrie it's kinda funny seeing the turnaround he has had with people on these boards a year or maybe even 6 months ago people couldn't wait for him to leave now look

Lowrie has had a remarkable turnaround and I love watching what he is doing now; but to be honest, it has taken him three years to show us anything.

Bigfella

Coach
I couldn;t compare him with Finch.

No charge downs. no errors. Great attitude. Great defense.

Has blond hair and wears 7, but that's the only comparison IMO.

Hasn't been running the ball as much, but has done so previously.

He is very judicious about the areas the ball gets to. He controls the attack without overplaying his hand (another MASSIVE) difference with past halves.

Does find the man too much on the full; but he is not the primary kicker.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I couldn;t compare him with Finch.

No charge downs. no errors. Great attitude. Great defense.

Has blond hair and wears 7, but that's the only comparison IMO.

Hasn't been running the ball as much, but has done so previously.

He is very judicious about the areas the ball gets to. He controls the attack without overplaying his hand (another MASSIVE) difference with past halves.

Does find the man too much on the full; but he is not the primary kicker.

Attitude, Enthusiasm, Aggression In Defense, Hard Work Ethic, Can Handle Punishment/Pain And Immediately Get Back Into Line For The Next Assault, Positive Attitude, Passion etc etc. What more can we say except that he lifts all the players around him particularly Mortimer. Go back and watch the last game. Robson is perpetual motion in action 80 minutes. He is almost everywhere covering up holes on either side of the ruck or even up the middle and even out wide. Robson lifts all his team mates. If the Eels need a new captain next year let it be Robson. He is only going to get better and better as a 7. He is NOW one of the top three 7's in the NRL. He is almost irreplaceable to the Eels now. We don't have another 7 like Robson to fill in if he is injured without severely disrupting the present essential dynamics of a team heading towards winning this years GF.

Booooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Lowrie has had a remarkable turnaround and I love watching what he is doing now; but to be honest, it has taken him three years to show us anything.

bit of a difference between Hages and DA mate

parra pete

Referee
What more do you people want..fair dinkum. He's the best half back the Club has had this century...

Latest posts