What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Williams's bid for Test captaincy

Eelementary

Post Whore
half said:
the way you speak them up it sounds like they could easily handle a kick in the teeth

benji should be captain imo. the only thing he carves up more than the opposition is his breakfast. a bowl of chum, btw

You know...They probably could. But I wouldn't volunteer to kick Wiki in the teeth...

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
That's a kick in the teeth for guys like Wiki, Jones, Cayless, Kidwell...Men who, over a period of a few years, have consistently bled for the Kiwis and been their best players.

All players coming towards the end of there rep carrers.....imo the only way nz will compete with aus is with there youth and superstars i.e, the benjis and sbw.
See Islander mentality is different to that of a typical aussi.....no matter how good the player is in any sport, if they dont have the flair, skill and arrogance...kiwis wont idolise them as much as say a hindy, who is great, although dosent put on a show!
Thus giving the captancy to say a SBW or Benji, while the older players might find it a bit harsh....the future will be great.
All i know is i would rather say i played under SBW then Wiki imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Prodigal Eel said:
All players coming towards the end of there rep carrers.....imo the only way nz will compete with aus is with there youth and superstars i.e, the benjis and sbw.
See Islander mentality is different to that of a typical aussi.....no matter how good the player is in any sport, if they dont have the flair, skill and arrogance...kiwis wont idolise them as much as say a hindy, who is great, although dosent put on a show!
Thus giving the captancy to say a SBW or Benji, while the older players might find it a bit harsh....the future will be great.
All i know is i would rather say i played under SBW then Wiki imo.

Oh, I didn't mean it as a go at you. I see what you're saying.

I just think it's a massive shame that it will take giving the captaincy to a guy like SBW or Marshall to get people excited about League in NZ, whereas guys like Cayless and Wiki have been giving it 100% of their effort for their country for years and it hasn't inspired anyone.

Bigfella

Coach
The whole point of the article is to speculate about possible replacements for Ruben Wiki who retired from international football after the Tri Nations Final.
It's a bit hard to say the article insults him in any way.

And as for SBW can you imagine what people on these forums would be saying about him if he played for us? The guy is an absolutely freakish talent who has been unfortunately plagued by injury.

He is probably the most talented Kiwi pplayer ever. In fact his only rival would be Benji surely? They are the new generation for the Kiwis and obvious candidates to be the new leaders of a side emerging to seriously challenge the Kangaroos.

In fact if both had played this series you'd have to think they may have taken it out?

Sure Cayless and Kidwell have served the Kiwis well, but eveem they have not necessarily been automatic choices to make the side year in year out.

SBW is in a whole different league to those guys. if he is fit he should captain the Kiwis and they will give us a real shake.

Hellsy

Immortal
Id go Kidwell till he retires from Rep footy.... Caylo is a great leader but he does seem to go better without the responsibility

Smartman

Juniors
Bigfella said:
The whole point of the article is to speculate about possible replacements for Ruben Wiki who retired from international football after the Tri Nations Final.

And as for SBW can you imagine what people on these forums would be saying about him if he played for us? The guy is an absolutely freakish talent who has been unfortunately plagued by injury.

He is probably the most talented Kiwi pplayer ever. In fact his only rival would be Benji surely? They are the new generation for the Kiwis and obvious candidates to be the new leaders of a side emerging to seriously challenge the Kangaroos.

In fact if both had played this series you'd have to think they may have taken it out?

Sure Cayless and Kidwell have served the Kiwis well, but eveem they have not necessarily been automatic choices to make the side year in year out.

SBW is in a whole different league to those guys. if he is fit he should captain the Kiwis and they will give us a real shake.

The most intelligant thing a Parramatta supporter has ever said.

Well done
icon14.gif

Eelementary

Post Whore
Bigfella said:

I'm not saying the article is insulting to guys like Wiki, Cayless and Jones. I'm saying the very real scenario that it will take giving the captaincy to SBW or Marshall to actually generate interest in League in NZ is a bit of a rough pill to swallow for guys that have given their all for years for their country.

Is that so hard to understand?

In any case, SBW is about to be history. Just wait until Mateo makes grade and plays for Australia. People will be saying, "Soony-Bill who?" :D

Eelementary

Post Whore
And no - even with SBW and Marshall, I highly doubt they would have beaten the Australian side.

Smartman

Juniors
Eelementary said:
In any case, SBW is about to be history. Just wait until Mateo makes grade and plays for Australia. People will be saying, "Soony-Bill who?" :D

With a name like 'mateo' you would think hes a kiwi?

Soony :lol: :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oops. I meant Sonny, of course! :oops:

Come to think of it...Mateo does have Islander heritage in him. But he played for the Australian Schoolboys, so we'll gladly claim him...:sarcasm:

kiwi_man

Juniors
roy asotasi for captain, not too young but old enough and they could then build a team around him for yrs to come

Parra Guru

Coach
Why would Cayless be an automatic selection as captain? He's just played himself back into the side. And tbh I'd rather it go to a real kiwi. Both the Caylo boys grew up here.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Parra Guru said:
Why would Cayless be an automatic selection as captain? He's just played himself back into the side. And tbh I'd rather it go to a real kiwi. Both the Caylo boys grew up here.

How do you feel about Hunt playing for Queensland and Australia? Are you annoyed, like me? :D

Latest posts