What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith fined $1000 and banned from alcohol

Spike

First Grade
I would have gone for a more ironic kind of punishment such as to make him do some charity work at a men's homeless shelter where due to problems such as alcohol they've lost everything such as family, their assets and quality of life. Maybe then Smith would come to realise just how lucky he has it.

Cranky

Juniors
sharko said:
He is also a liability on the football field..he will lose Parra more big games they he will win for them in 2008!
If he was a liability on the football field, he'd have got the arse.
Spike said:
I would have gone for a more ironic kind of punishment such as to make him do some charity work at a men's homeless shelter where due to problems such as alcohol they've lost everything such as family, their assets and quality of life. Maybe then Smith would come to realise just how lucky he has it.
That's optimistic. For all the violent and graphic images the TAC place on the telly, there are still airheads who drink, speed and drive like complete nobs. They lack the imagination to place themselves in these scenarios. Perhaps Smith is like this.
Eelementary said:
Why, then, should he have to be fined 30% of his contract simply because he's a higher profile person than your average Joe?
Yes, maybe he should (although I'm not sure about 30%). Elite sportsmen often have massive egos that need to be kept in check. Their confindence is sometimes massaged so much by their fans/teammates/club hireachy, that they can believe the rules don't apply to them. Wayne Carey is a classic example.

watatank

Coach
$1000? Small price to pay for having a little fun on the piss when you make as much money as him.

Galeforce

Bench
sure all it needs is one club who want a troublesome halfback and they will send him a couple of free bottles on doorstep. How many halves do the roosters have after the young fella?

Hurriflatch

Referee
the fine meh who really cares with the amount of money Smith is on it would've had to have been 25,000 to really start to hurt his hip pocket

but Smith should as someone suggested be forced to do community work in homeless shelters etc

Get professional help

Breath tested before each training session, game, gym session, video session, on water only at all official club fuctions.

Galeforce

Bench
i know i am guessing about next punishment from parra leaders

fine $2k , banned from Grog for 2 years and apologises in person versus over the phone.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I was thinking more along the lines of next time the Parra boys play Monopoly he can not pass go & can't collect $200.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Galeforce said:
i know i am guessing about next punishment from parra leaders

fine $2k , banned from Grog for 2 years and apologises in person versus over the phone.

yeah you're probably right, just like the "phone thrower" getting a pissweak punishement for asulting an innocent bystander with his telephone.

difference is the "phone thrower" has a criminal record and Smith doesn't...:lol:

God-King Dean

Immortal
In all seriousness, you'd imagine his next grog induced incident (if he has one) would be his last chance. Put him in councelling, larger fine, suspended, much like Todd Carney.

Stagger eel

Staff member
God-King Dean said:
In all seriousness, you'd imagine his next grog induced incident (if he has one) would be his last chance. Put him in councelling, larger fine, suspended, much like Todd Carney.

that's where I think the club went wrong, they should of slapped a 4 month ban from the club involving games,training,promotional activeties and charity events and lock him up in a rehab centre for a while....

he's obviously got problems and needs to solely focus on getting himself right.

God-King Dean

Immortal
eelavation said:
that's where I think the club went wrong, they should of slapped a 4 month ban from the club involving games,training,promotional activeties and charity events and lock him up in a rehab centre for a while....

he's obviously got problems and needs to solely focus on getting himself right.

I think it's possible that's part of their plan. Give him a soft penalty now, & if he f*cks up again, then do the rehab routine. They seem very keen to keep him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
God-King Dean said:
I think it's possible that's part of their plan. Give him a soft penalty now, & if he f*cks up again, then do the rehab routine. They seem very keen to keep him.

no bugger it...he should be doing it now imo. and this should definitely be his last chance.

btw, I get this feeling that the soft penalty may have something to do with the fact that real story hasn't come out...but anyway that's not dismiss the fact that the kid has a grog problem and needs to address it.

Gee_Up

Juniors
I'd like to have seen him do more community service in the Parramatta district instead of paying a small fine. Maybe attending AA meetings. Besides that I wouldn't be calling for his head but like Reni he needs to be put on a last chance. If you cant respond to a last chance you don't deserve the lifestyle.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gee_Up said:
I'd like to have seen him do more community service in the Parramatta district instead of paying a small fine. Maybe attending AA meetings. Besides that I wouldn't be calling for his head but like Reni he needs to be put on a last chance. If you cant respond to a last chance you don't deserve the lifestyle.

he's getting personal treatment for the issue.