What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith fined $1000 and banned from alcohol

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nugby said:
And has been for how long now, eelavation?

since his last indiscretion, he'd been off the grog during the football season but obviously felt the need to get on it during the off season where the ban didn't exist.

maybe the ban should exist 24/7 365 days of the year until his contract expires...the current ban is only until the end of the 08 season which is effectively inviting him to get on it come Mad Monday next year.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I am not defending Smith. He will reoffend he can't help himself and if he is rubbed out he won't be missed.

However the expectation on the modern player is too tough. This type of incident would never had even made the press years ago. Players like Johny Raper & Tommy Raudonikus would not last a year with the scrutiny players are under now days. There will be no personalites in the game. The media will wonder why there isn't but they will be to blame for it.

Any 16 or 17 yo thinking about playing the game professionally needs to consider that they will have to become a tea totaller and live like a hermit. If they think they can still live a life like a normal young fella then they are mistaken.

badav

Bench
God-King Dean said:
Someone should have asked Fitzgerald what would happen if another incident like this happens.

Probably nothing because they know he will do something stupid again the next time he gets on the piss. Even if that is a year away.

APRIL BELLE said:
Any 16 or 17 yo thinking about playing the game professionally needs to consider that they will have to become a tea totaller and live like a hermit. If they think they can still live a life like a normal young fella then they are mistaken.

You are kidding yourself. There are a sh*tload of players from every club that go out each weekend and get hammered on the piss and never get mentioned in the paper, but then again maybe they don't go around abusing grandpa's either.

Eelementary

Post Whore
philstorm said:
But if that's the case then, why weren't these things sanctioned upon Smith in the first place rather than allowing it to get to this stage?

Could be a number of reasons - they see him as a crucial talent and don't want to lose him; they did what they thought was fair then and there; or they maybe felt that the other issues he's had were media beat-ups (the Santa case comes to mind).

I am all for him getting sobered up - but until he proves he is up to it, no First Grade imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cranky said:
Yes, maybe he should (although I'm not sure about 30%). Elite sportsmen often have massive egos that need to be kept in check. Their confindence is sometimes massaged so much by their fans/teammates/club hireachy, that they can believe the rules don't apply to them. Wayne Carey is a classic example.

I see your point. But really - there are "average" people out there acting in the exact same way as him. But they're not being fined or anything - they get kicked out of the club and perhaps blacklisted and that's it.

I'm all for helping him to get out of the hole he's in - but the methods are what I think need to be clarified.