What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoked Eels or just smoke and mirrors

CrazyEel

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...moke-and-mirrors/story-e6frext9-1225770369248

Josh Massoud September 08, 2009 * By Josh Massoud

I KNOW Daniel Anderson about as well as any other NRL coach. Which is not very well at all. Anderson's type, you see, aren't inclined to drawing journalists like me into their confidence.

You can't blame them. We're not the most reliable lot when it comes to keeping juicy secrets. And at this time of the year, coaching is all about secrets. About keeping real stories suppressed. Throwing out red herrings and false scents that blur truth and fiction. Not to irk the scribes, of course. But to keep rivals guessing.

St George Illawarra will be doing a lot of guessing this week, despite barbecueing Anderson's Eels 37-0 last Friday night. Rather than charging back to Kogarah for another cook-up on Sunday, the Dragons will be treading warily. Very warily.

From what I know about Wayne Bennett - which is a bit more than Daniel Anderson because he's published two autobiographies - Benny will be expecting an almighty ambush when the teams return to Kogarah. Bennett has been around for so long and won so much, he's almost earned the power of omnipotence.

As such, it's extremely hard to keep a secret from him.

Nonetheless, Anderson is giving it a red-hot go. How else can you explain Parramatta's lame effort last Friday night? It was the biggest letdown since The Never-Ending Story 2. One, I suspect, orchestrated well before kick-off under the care of Anderson himself.

First we had Nathan Hindmarsh withdraw because of an injury to his left big toe. Arguably the competition's toughest and most uncompromising player pulling out of a huge match because of a complaint with his tootsie. It sounded suspicious from the get-go, but then Hindmarsh appeared on Footy Show, plonked his size 13 on the desk and presented the offending appendage sans sock. What happened next stunk worse than Ronald McDonald's foot odour after a lap around the drive-thru.

Host Paul Vautin grabbed Hindmarsh's toe - the one that had supposedly restricted his mobility over the past month - and yanked it forward with the same malice that you'd apply a chinese burn to your snotty little brother. Hindmarsh yelped, but then, in keeping with the comedic theme, began to laugh.

I'd imagine Eels officials wouldn't have been amused. This was, remember, an unprovoked aggravation of an injury to one of their most valuable players. Yet what did they have to say? Nothing.

Their silence was telling, but not nearly as much as Parramatta's muted effort on Friday night. In previous weeks they had off-loaded with the frequency of stolen stereo fencers. Yet on Friday night, it took them 15 minutes to generate a second-phase play. In previous weeks, lesser teams served up a blueprint on how to frustrate the Dragons. But on Friday night, the bulls-eye on Jamie Soward's head had suddenly vanished. Big Michael Weyman barely broke a sweat in defence.

Instead, the Eels died with the music in them. Bennett can now only guess what it will sound like when they are resurrected this Sunday.

But if anyone can take an educated stab it's Bennett. Go back nine seasons when he was in charge of the Brisbane Broncos, who were unbackable favourites to win the 2000 premiership. In the final round, they were lapped by the Roosters 28-blot. Four short weeks later, they were standing on the winners' dais after comfortably accounting for the hapless Chooks on Grand Final day.

Ducks and drakes. Smoke and mirrors. Truth and lies. It takes one to know one.
Must be slow news day:sarcasm:

sammygee

Juniors
Definitely a slow-news day story but it conjures up some fascinating theories! Wish half of them were true ...

I agree about FatAss pulling Hindy's toe. .. I couldnt believe it at the time! Seemed almost a set-up, just like when that guy proposed to the chick on stage up in Brissy and she destroyed him on stage.

We'll see all on Sunday..!

bartman

Immortal
Wow, Josh is reporting on Footy Show visual jokes to fill column inches... he must really be on the outer now :lol:

Fee

Juniors
So in not so many words they reckon Parra threw the game, would that be a fair assesment of the article, because that's what it sounds like to me. I truly cant picture them throwing the game.

sammygee

Juniors
So in not so many words they reckon Parra threw the game, would that be a fair assesment of the article, because that's what it sounds like to me. I truly cant picture them throwing the game.

That's what he's putting out there. While I can't picture them throwing it either, I can half imagine DA wanting to let the streak go, resting Hindy and Grothe, and testing out the full potential of the Dragons. Also, 12 in a row is much harder than 4 in a row (mentally at least, and definitely in the media).

Now that he knows what the Dragons can do, he can prepare thoroughly... here's hoping anyway! I'm no coach though!

tresurehunt

Juniors
ive said this before,i was very relaxed before parra played them on friday night ,i just knew something was not right,if you play the press conference you will hear Ando say that the dragons will face a different side next week,a very blunt warning to the drag queens,i hope we haven't played them into such form where we cant beat them .

bradeel

Juniors
Not sure whether people know this or not but Josh Massoud is a Dragons fan from way back. I went to uni with him and he wore his Dragons jumper on campus most days.

Usually I reckon he writes the usual sensationalist Daily Telecrap rubbish, but some interesting theories here. The more i think about it, the more i warm to the idea that DA geniunely didn't want to give too much away in this game in Rd 26. He said from the outset that he suspected we'd be playing the Dragons two weeks in a row whether we won or lost, and the reality was always going to be that the Finals encounter, and the 2nd of the two games, was the one that most mattered. Not saying he threw the game, or wanted to lose, but there's merit in the idea that we just played a very conservative game, pullling out a couple of key players, and trying our hardest not to get too many others injured. A nice theory if we can bounce back anyway...

jono

Juniors
I am actually heartened by the 2000 scenario in that it indicates if a side IS good enough , it CAN turn around a heavy loss. It remains to be seen if this Parramatta side is THAT good enough. Let's hope so

It took 15 minutes to generate 2nd phase play, because, thats how long it took for us to get possession....

IF we get a fair share of possession this weekend, it will be a much closer result, IMO.

EelsFan05

Bench
I don't believe that a coach in this day and age would throw a game. Playing a team into good form and possibly destroying your teams confidence makes no sense at all.

Hopefully a big turn around is on the cards with some good early possession at the right end of the field.

hybrideel

Bench
So if we blow the dragons off the park this week will the NRL launch an investigation into match fixing. Because this article and some suggestions by by people on here are bordering on in practically saying we lost on purpose

I just think Saints were too good for us and will do us again if we turn up the same way. That performance last friday was very 2008 like with only Feleti, cayless and Mortimer trying.

I really don't know how we can beat the Saints, theire forwards are just way too strong and the team does not give an inch with errors etc.

mickdo

Coach
I don't believe that a coach in this day and age would throw a game. Playing a team into good form and possibly destroying your teams confidence makes no sense at all.

All depends how you look at it. For example, if Saints had already sewn up top spot, had won their last 3 games, and had 2 key players with niggling injuries and decided to rest them for the final round, would that be throwing the game if they lost it? Of course not.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
don't think there is anything wrong with article ( and I hate the daily telecrap). it is basically saying Anderson may not have shown his full set of cards.

when Vautin pulled hindmarsh's toe it was quite strange. not saying hindmarsh wasn't injured.

I reckon anderson simply did not use a special game plan waiting for this week. in saying that to much drop ball from the eels and dragons forwards going great killed us. even if there was a special game plan we played sh*t to action it.

don't think there is anything wrong with article ( and I hate the daily telecrap). it is basically saying Anderson may not have shown his full set of cards.

when Vautin pulled hindmarsh's toe it was quite strange. not saying hindmarsh wasn't injured.

I reckon anderson simply did not use a special game plan waiting for this week. in saying that to much drop ball from the eels and dragons forwards going great killed us. even if there was a special game plan we played sh*t to action it.

Joshuatheeel doesn't hate the article........

:-k

DanTheEelMan

Juniors
The one thing I don't get if we really wanted to win that game is why you would bring in a rookie winger to mark up on the comps top try scorer :roll:. All things said I think we will see a different side this week, well heres hoping.

84 Baby

Referee
there's merit in the idea that we just played a very conservative game, pullling out a couple of key players, and trying our hardest not to get too many others injured.
That's the word I've been looking for. It was always likely that'd we would play them again this week, so why look to blow them off the park when this week is the one that really matters.
We'd played conservative, Dragons-style football then got punished when we didn't generate enough go-forward and dropped the ball too much.

84 Baby

Referee
Plus in the months before I started posting here I noticed regularly that some theory/information/conspiracy is created among these threads, then days later the media, usually the Telegraph, will write up the same theory.
So can someone starting writing a thread on the St George players all being on performance enhancing drugs... except Justin Poore.

eels_

Juniors
I don't think parra threw the game... def not... But I 100% believe they held a fair bit back. If you see what anderson was saying before the game, he was pretty certain win or lose, we would play dragons again the following week... So I am sure he held back alot and our tactics will be completely different this game... Not saying they will make any differnce or that we will win...

Also, his comments after the game were interesting... He did not seem concerned one iota we got lapped... he said something like 'we didn't want to lose... we wanted to win'... That comment stuck with me the way he said it... It seemed to me like he was saying 'we held alot back, and would have liked to have won in doing so'...

Intersting times anyway. Be a great game.

Latest posts