What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how does this get fixed?

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yeah good one, do you think we don't try? TPJ is a good player, your kidding yourself if you think he is not. A reset will be just the thing he needs. Finucane is not from a bottom 8 club.

Out of interest, what club are you with?
I'm sure the same was said about Mbye, Packer, players who played for bottom 8 clubs that you paid a motza for.

A reset into a team which folds under the slightest pressure.

Highly doubtful.

Mr Spock!

Referee
All players come with risks and rewards. TPJ provides an x factor and can genuinely break a game open, whereas Finucane is a leader who leads by example and won't stop when the going gets tough. Then the downside is TPJ goes missing when the going gets tough and Finucane has been successful at a club who's players underperform when they move club.

I'm still keen on us signing both these players, but realistically our problem isn't our forwards, it's our abysmal, sub-standard backline.
Which game did TPJ last break open?

Tigerm

First Grade
May
I'm sure the same was said about Mbye, Packer, players who played for bottom 8 clubs that you paid a motza for.

A reset into a team which folds under the slightest pressure.

Highly doubtful.

Mbye was a SOO player and Packer came from the dragons who were running very well at the time.

Not sure what you are on about.

But live long and prosper somewhere else huh!

Mr Spock!

Referee
May

Mbye was a SOO player and Packer came from the dragons who were running very well at the time.

Not sure what you are on about.

But live long and prosper somewhere else huh!
Mbye was a pretender mate.

You've found that out and it's cost you heaps.

The dragons came 11th in Packer's last season.

Apparently that's doing vey well in Tigerland.

Good to see you guys turn them both around.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Its going to take time and patience unfortunately, this is the Panthers team 5 years into the Gus rebuild taking into account the junior base at their disposal.

1 Matt Moylan
2 Josh Mansour
3 Dean Whare
4 Jamal Idris
5 Dallin Watene Zelezniak
6 Isaac John
7 Peter Wallace (c)
8 Sam McKendry
9 James Segeyaro
10 Brent Kite
11 Sika Manu
12 Lewis Brown
13 Elijah Taylor

Interchange
14 Tyrone Peachey
15 Jeremy Latimore
16 Reagan Campbell-Gillard
17 Bryce Cartwright

A few veterans that they had bought in to help the development along with a few promising juniors that didn't quite reach the heights. If you remember at this stage things appeared to be going off the rails because Ivan got let go and everyone was questioning what Gus was doing. What we didn't realise was that the first real green shoots of progress where coming through in the NYC

Dylan Edwards
Moses Leota
James Fisher-Harris
Tyrone May
Jarome Luai
Nathan Cleary

This current Penrith team took 10 years to assemble from when they were in a similar situation to what we currently find ourselves, hopefully we can build quicker but this shows that it takes patience and holding your nerve.

stryker

First Grade
Yeah but we wasted that decade and will continue to do so until we get the front office right.
I agree and that’s what pisses me off so much.
This squad is no improvement on the other nine squads that have worn this strip over the past decade.
10 years of embarrassment and that whole period of time is wasted.
The club is literally starting from scratch, telling us to be patient and support a rebuild when that rebuild should have begun 15 years ago…absolute shambles.

cerberus

Coach
Probably didn't want to be the next Chris Lawrence. Spend 16 years at a club and only play finals twice.
there's the rub .we'll never pull players from other clubs .
you have to develop juniors on long contracts
you also need a bush team partner. so if someone wants to skip 2 years of a contract .
you send them to the coal fields . not the reverses where their attitude affects the kids.
see how they go dicking around with miners .

Its going to take time and patience unfortunately, this is the Panthers team 5 years into the Gus rebuild taking into account the junior base at their disposal.

1 Matt Moylan
2 Josh Mansour
3 Dean Whare
4 Jamal Idris
5 Dallin Watene Zelezniak
6 Isaac John
7 Peter Wallace (c)
8 Sam McKendry
9 James Segeyaro
10 Brent Kite
11 Sika Manu
12 Lewis Brown
13 Elijah Taylor

Interchange
14 Tyrone Peachey
15 Jeremy Latimore
16 Reagan Campbell-Gillard
17 Bryce Cartwright

A few veterans that they had bought in to help the development along with a few promising juniors that didn't quite reach the heights. If you remember at this stage things appeared to be going off the rails because Ivan got let go and everyone was questioning what Gus was doing. What we didn't realise was that the first real green shoots of progress where coming through in the NYC

Dylan Edwards
Moses Leota
James Fisher-Harris
Tyrone May
Jarome Luai
Nathan Cleary

This current Penrith team took 10 years to assemble from when they were in a similar situation to what we currently find ourselves, hopefully we can build quicker but this shows that it takes patience and holding your nerve.

Reasonable points regarding Penrith's development, but let's not also forget in that ten years Penrith have made the finals 50% of the time, in only missed the finals twice in the last seven seasons (not taking into account 2021.)

Yeah they are on another level now, but they have enjoyed a sustained period of success the sense that they been able to make at least week 2 of the finals in 5 of the last 7 completed seasons. Comparing that to a club that has been stuck in a perpetual rebuild cycle for ten seasons without seeing finals footy in the last 9 completed seasons, and soon to be ten by the look of it, it is not even comparable. They have rebuilt while remaining competitive and have proven that the two are not mutually exclusive.

We are a f**king mess. There are glimmers of hope in the kids that the club is targeting, but that's a long term project and the fans don't have the patience anymore, and nor should they. It's all well and good that the club is in the black and financially stable for a change, but fans don't turn up because the club is in the black, they turn up because they want club competitive on the field.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
Mbye was a pretender mate.

You've found that out and it's cost you heaps.

The dragons came 11th in Packer's last season.

Apparently that's doing vey well in Tigerland.

Good to see you guys turn them both around.

We're well aware of the club's failings and where it needs to lift it's game, but we can do without another gutless outsider deriving pleasure from kicking fans when they are down. Besides, we have our fans for that and they much better at it and significantly more entertaining.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Some good posts in here however I always find it funny when fans of other clubs think its as simple as saying

'Why dont you stop buying bad players and buy good ones?

Do people genuinley think the club said 'Hmm ok well Cooper Cronk is on the market and so is Josh Reynolds. Who do you think we should sign? Josh Reynolds it is!'

'Ok well we have James Tedesco playing for us but there's this guy running around at Canterbury we could get instead, yep lets do that!'

There was an article a year or two ago showing that Easts and Souths had signed more Current Origin Players combined then all the other Sydney clubs over the past 5 years. The comp isnt even, its the most lop sidded its ever been and the NRL simply dont care as long as the favoured clubs are benefiting.

Vic Mackey

Referee
TPJ or Dale Finacune I don’t think either is your way forward.

Maybe it is just me, but I went to Lidcombe Oval a couple of weeks back are watched you Flegg side carve ours up.

Perhaps our Flegg side is a little on the young side but watching the game I thought WOW there are some really promising players in this side. I was impressed and I watch a lot of junior footy. It appeared to me there just could be a few from your Flegg side who could make the grade.

The moral to the story is fans crave the supposed marquee signings and I understand that but for the lesser sides I’m not sure that is the recipe for success.

My team, the Panthers, current success has been built upon junior development. Personally, I would go down that path as opposed to recruiting the likes of TPJ. There are Liam Martins out there in the Campbelltown catchment area you just need to identify them, cultivate them and unleash them when they are developed.

Agree with a lot of this however also need to be wary. Ive watched a decent amount of the Flegg side and to me they are more a 'good team' without anyone standing out as genuine future star. In 2012 we won the NYC Grand Final by 40. Theres really only been 4 guys from that team who have kicked on as NRL players (Nofa, Korobiete, N Brown, Jessie Sue) and none are really stars.

Also worth noting that 70-80% of the side are imports from other clubs Ball/Matts sides, which to be fair is how Hartigan built the dominant Roosters squads. However it shows that the common thoughts of Wests having this amazing jnr breeding ground isn’t really correct

Last round WESTS TIGERS JERSEY FLEGG

1. Logen Dillon (Canterbury)
  2. Liam Scolari (originally fromDubbo and union)
  3. Timanu Alexander (Newcastle)
  4. Iverson Fuatimau (Canterbury)
  5. William Kei (parramatta)
  6. Ben Stevanovic (Balmain)
  7. Kade Hill (QLD)
  8. Mavoni Tuifua (Balmain)
  9. Rua Ngatikaura (Wests)
  10. Etuale Lui (parramatta)
  11. Brandon Webster-Mansfield (Wests)
  12. Eli Morgan (QLD)
  13. Aden Perry (Canterbury)
Interchange:
14. Tyler Field (parramatta)
15. Brandon Tumeth (Balmain)
16. Elifasa Leilua (Wests)
17. Logan Muir (easts)

then 2 regulars who were out Fonua Poole (Melbourne) and Israel Ogden (NZ)

P.S Funnily enough (well not really) the one guy who really looked like a star from Flegg is the Balmain half/hooker Micky Tannous. Trained with NRL in the pre season and then did his ACL in a Flegg trial. So the team is undefeated depsite missing their 'gun' player.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Agree with a lot of this however also need to be wary. Ive watched a decent amount of the Flegg side and to me they are more a 'good team' without anyone standing out as genuine future star. In 2012 we won the NYC Grand Final by 40. Theres really only been 4 guys from that team who have kicked on as NRL players (Nofa, Korobiete, N Brown, Jessie Sue) and none are really stars.

Ive watched junior rep sides for many years, and while all the kids dream of making it the the NRL the reality is a very small percentage actually do. Of those who do, many may only play a handful of games.

I think the Panthers model, for want of a better word, is the way forward for your club even if it is not going to bring about instant success.

if your club is successful in recruiting one or both of TPJ and Dale I hope it works out for you, although as an outsider looking in I would have my doubts both have valid reasons as to perhaps why you wouldn’t recruit them, TPJ reasons are obvious and with Dale his age, money and length of his deal would have to be a concern.

Just my thoughts, certainly not suggesting I am right.