What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So is Benji overrated????

the bricklayer

Juniors
i think benji needs to get rid of the 'touch footy' aspect of his game in attack .. once he does that, he'll be more dangerous

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
benjis passing game is poor lengthwise. to say it is the passing best in the comp is a tad bias. he is an ok passer at best i believe. when it comes to long cutout passes i dont think benji has that in his game yet

Mr Saab

Referee
simon says said:
Well he already has the best step and chip in the game.....there is no doubt.His passing game is close to the best in the comp..

he has a long way to go to surpass Kimmorley, Lockyer, orford in terms of passing

rabs

Staff member
The kid can only get better, if injuries stay away then his confidence will go up and once that happens look out for him to become 'JohnsLike' - in attack anyway.

Darth Bobo

Give him a break when it come to his defense, he was thrown in at 1st grade when he was physically underdone and dislocated his shoulder as a result, he has off season surgery and then he dislocates the other shoulder in the trials.

Given the injuries he has admitted that he is a little worried when tackling about his shoulders and like people have stated, he is not in the Tigers line up for his defense but his attack and you can't really fault him on that.

But as talented as the kid is with the football in his hands I like his maturity the most, the fact that he rang up Hunt and tried to talk him into playing for NZ before the ANZAC test and talking about how good it will be to have himself, Sonny Bill and other young Kiwis build a dynasty. Not bad thinking and maturity for a 20yr old........thank christ he's a Tiger. :)

super_coach

First Grade
you have to remember benji is playing in team that is\
1---not a defensive powerhouse
2---not chocker block full of super stars
so he is not getting the protection in defence he might get at the rorters.
also he has to be the focal in attack,he cant drift in and out of games,like he may at a stronger club.
at the end of the day--being thrown in at the deep end,at club that is on the way up,but a long way to go,will be the making of benji--super star tag,not yet but well on the way

shadow grinder

First Grade
i think he can play....but alot of tigers fans make him out as the next andrew johns or next f**king wally lewis...but he isnt...he is a good young player that needs to improve in some areas and if he does then he will be very good player...

ozboy

Juniors
Why the hell are we talking about whether a 20 year old kid is over-rated ?

Benji Marshall is a talented young footballer with a sublime step, but has also shown the attribute of being injury prone.

Todd Carney has yet to show me anything special, but yet again, we are talking about another young kid with 10 years of NRL football ahead of them

Balmain_Boy

The Illuminati said:
i think he can play....but alot of tigers fans make him out as the next andrew johns or next f**king wally lewis...but he isnt...he is a good young player that needs to improve in some areas and if he does then he will be very good player...

How do you know he isn't?

shadow grinder

First Grade
well from what ive seen...he isnt anywhere near wally lewis...he could be in the future maybe..but at the moment no way

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Benji Marshall reminds me a lot of Mark Mclinden when he burst onto the scene as an 18 year old- a player who seemingly has every skill in the book and plays first grade with the confidence of a 10 year veteran. What remains to be seen is whether, unlike Macca, Benji can go onto to become not just a great individual player but a great organiser and leader. I really hope that he does, because his a fantastic player to watch.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
ozboy said:
Why the hell are we talking about whether a 20 year old kid is over-rated ?

Benji Marshall is a talented young footballer with a sublime step, but has also shown the attribute of being injury prone.

Todd Carney has yet to show me anything special, but yet again, we are talking about another young kid with 10 years of NRL football ahead of them

It's being discussed because at the start of the season every 'expert' from this forum gave him that very tag, 'over-rated', when I doubt they had seen much of the kid play.

I thought the media attention might have gone a bit too far, but he has handled it superbly, and I couldn't be happier with how he is playing with such limited experience, in the sport let alone NRL.

I think his short passing game is great also, got away some beautiful balls this year. Though a lot of his long passes often bounce before finding their mark. He'll work on that though. Great prospect.

Big Mick

Referee
Benji has certainly impressed this season. I was never suggesting he was over-rated, rather Over-hyped at the start of the season. Like everyone says, the kid is still so young and to have so much pressure on him from everywhere is just a lot for anyone netherlone a kid. I'm sure Todd Carney will feel the same when he hits the top grade on a continuous basis too....If the Canberra coaching staff actually give the bloody kid a chance.

Benji has improved remarkably this season, but i'll stand by my statement at the start of the year, that 2006 is the year of Benji and he'll be so much better it wont be funny.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Carney was poor last weekend but christ look at what he had to work with. Smith was off injured and nuffies like Ben cross and tyran smith in the front row. How the tigers let us back in that game is diabolical.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah The Tigers lack of expereince nearly cost us on sunday , at 22-0 it should've been curtains, 15 mins later it was 22-16 so it was diabolical to say the least. But they hung in there and grinded it out eventually.

On Benji, its the opposition fans that opinions should count for here. I agree, for 20 years old Benji is great but the reality is as good as people say, he wont even go close to player of the year polls. Thats a good thing though, because if that shows us how much work he's got to improve on then the opposition is in trouble, its scary to think how good Benji could be.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
Benji has some off days, but each week he is learning more and more stuff and that is evident in the way he plays

At the begining of the year he would not kick the ball, then he did it once... a week later he did it twice.... now he is doing nice chips and its paying off!

He is like a wine. He will mature and become better and better