What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So long, Ruben Wiki

MKEB...

Staff member
Wiki bought the mana back to the Kiwi jumper. Every thing you couold want your national captain to be, leads from the front, media savvy, and a hell of a good man off of the field. I think that They should take one of the NZ jersy numbers out of commission and it hand it to Wiki. Nobody else should wear that number out of respect for what Reubin has done for league in NZ.

Micistm

Bench
Let's hope our Media gives the guy the tribute he deserves. It's total heartbreak for fans today with that game (As great as it was) and the retirement of some classy players.
Nevertheless I raise my glass to the guy and wish him all the best. Thanks for the memories. Despite being on the wrong end of the scoreline he has to be proud of that epic game...and last years 24-0...doesn't get better than that from a Kiwi point of view. All the best Man :)

winnyason

Juniors
this will hurt the kiwis for 2008 world cup, listening to jones on channel 9 coverage is it me or has he had a gutfull of france?
wiki a champion in the true sense of the word.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Misty Bee said:
Wiki - now THERE'S a bloke who the word "legend" fits to a tee. The best ambassador our game has had for a very long time.

well said Misty, he is a kiwi legend

they are gonna miss Jones and Wiki next year

Vagana did them a favour

Mal Meninga

Bench
winnyason said:
listening to jones on channel 9 coverage is it me or has he had a gutfull of france?
Yeah I thought that aswell... might be fed up with losing?

As for Muss.... a true great.

ouwet

Bench
Twizzle said:
well said Misty, he is a kiwi legend

they are gonna miss Jones and Wiki next year

Vagana did them a favour

Shut the f**k UP you Goose! Vagana is there highest ever try scorer, everytime he ran out in the Kiwi jeresey, the guy gave nothing less then 100%... He was brilliant last night, with a player like Vagana Parramatta might be able to win some silverware:roll:

Martli

Coach
LebaneseForces - Vagana has done great things for the Kiwis and NZ rugby league, but his time is up in my opinion. I don't think Twizzle was trying to put down the effort Vagana has put into the kiwis, or his past performaces for the kiwis, just that he has passed his use-by date. There's no doubt Vagana is a great player, but he's getting on a bit now. To be honest, I don't think he's done much this tri-nations to warrent his continual selection but then again i'm not an international rugby league coach. A great international career coming to the end at the right time in my opinion.

Red Bear

Referee
I though Vagana had his best match of the series last night, however his time has come.

These 3 retiring isnt horrid, would be worse if they did next year. At least they have a while to prepare for the world cup. If Sonny Bill and Marshall can stay fit they'll be great additions to an already solid side. They just need a halfback to partner Marshall.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
rumour is kiddy and n.cayless may also retire

wow!...we're definately gonna have us a new young forward pack if they do leave huh??

it could look like this?

8. Adam Blair/Jason Cayless
9. David Faiumu/Motu Tony
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Fa'alogo
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Sonny Bill Williams.

Still alot of sting in that pack,they'll only get better young guys with big futures.

hutch

First Grade
a legend of international rugby league. 55 tests is amazing. will go down as one of the greats of new zealand rugby league. who will replce him as captain?

also, its a shame we wont see the future halves combo of stacey and benji, would have been great to see at the world cup.

JJ

Immortal
The pack will be fine - there's Puletua, Mannering, Anderson and Solomona to add to those too.
Mannering has really stepped up.

It's the halves that will continue to be the issue - maybe Stacey will change his mind again...

Anyway, Wiki, Jones and Vagana have been critical to the kiwi team, and retire as all-time greats of Kiwi league :clap:

If they keep playing I'd imagine Cayless, Puletua or Kidwell will be the captain. Perhaps Mannering in a few years

ozbash

Referee
It's the halves that will continue to be the issue - maybe Stacey will change his mind again...

it will be until we start to actually develope our talent instead of taking the quick-fix and buying in young aussies (rovelli/witt) and developing them for aussie.

the writing has been on the wall for some time now. we only really have thomas luelueai if stacey goes.

players like ngawini,perenara, mana ashford and hayden karena should be wrapped in cotton wool and nurtured by the nzrl.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Warriors are an NRL, not a club who's purpose is to feed the kiwis team. Do you think the Souths, Storm, Dogs etc aim to feed the australian side? Pull your head in, while it is nice having rep players in the team, its not the focus.

Have you all forgotten about a young man to the name of Jeremy Smith?.

Along with Smith, you have Benji obviously, also Hohaia, Ropati and Leuluai.

I'd pin it down to

Webb
Hape (how old is he now?)
Soliola
Mannering/Halatau
Vatuvei
Benji
Smith
Nathan Cayless (assuming he does not retire)
Tony
Asotasi
Kidwell
Pritchard
Halatau/Mannering

Bench:

Faiumu
Sonny Bill (impact)
Blair
Fa'alogo

Unlucky includes Jaso Cayless, Vainikolo (wont play WC, watch this space), Solomona, Paleaasina, Puletua, Tuimavavue, Anderson, Koopu, Matai, Eastwood and Guttenbeil.

Phillips

Referee
Hape, Vainikolo, Soliola, Whatuira, Webster, Vatuvei

if they are all fit, Vagana wouldnt even make the starting side.

ozbash

Referee
Warriors are an NRL, not a club who's purpose is to feed the kiwis team.
then is it the bartercard cups purpose in life to feed the nrl clubs ? gotta work both ways.

smith is a talent, Hohaia, Ropati and Leuluai are not in the running (it seems).

like your team.

Mr Saab

Referee
Congrats to Wiki for his outstanding international career.
Actually felt sorry for him when he made his speech.