What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So much better than 1 v 8

innsaneink

Referee
Todays game 6 v 7...today is a contest

Usually - during macintyre days- its a public execution

wittyfan

Referee
I recall a Melbourne-Warriors game in 2008 that was a ripper.

Today has been exciting but low in quality.

BRING BACK MCINTYRE!!!!

KiamaSaint

Coach
I always thought that the McIntyre System just need to change who got the home final in week 2, I have to say I am warming to the new system.

The reality is, the way the Dogs and Storm played this week and how the Sharks and Broncos played I have no doubt the result would have been the same - Bulldogs and Storm through to week 3, the Sharks and the Broncos out.

undertaker

Coach
Given the way the Bulldogs and Broncos have played in the finals, the Bulldogs would've racked up a big score if if they played them today.

I always thought that the McIntyre System just need to change who got the home final in week 2, I have to say I am warming to the new system.

The reality is, the way the Dogs and Storm played this week and how the Sharks and Broncos played I have no doubt the result would have been the same - Bulldogs and Storm through to week 3, the Sharks and the Broncos out.

100% agree about the Dogs/Storm part. I'm 99.9% confident Storm would've beaten Sharks and the Bulldogs would've beaten Broncos if the McIntyre System was still in place this year. So, irrespective of the results of Manly/Nth QLD and Souffs/Canberra, Bulldogs and Storm would've still been the two teams to advance through to the Preliminary Finals

Stinkler

Juniors
It didn't matter who won today. The NRL will make sure the Rabbits win next week.
Then they get their preferred semi final the week after.

in.tro

Juniors
its a much fairer system - rewards the right teams based on where they finish on the ladder.
teams 1 & 2 both won.
teams 5 & 6 both won.
7 & 8 eliminated.
so far so good.

chrisD

Coach
So if 3, 4, 7 and 8 won the system would not be rewarding teams based on where they finished on the ladder?

undertaker

Coach
In the McIntyre system, teams 1/2/5/6 have more of an advantage than they do in the current system. In the current system, teams 3/4/7/8 have more of an advantage than they do in the McIntyre syste.

Regarding teams 1 and 2, they get easier opponents throughout the McIntyre system. The highest ranked side that team 1 will take on in the preliminary finals is team 4, whereas it is possible for them to take on team 2 in the current system.

Regarding teams 3 and 4, they get a guaranteed 2nd chance in the first week of the current system which they don't have in the McIntyre system. Also, they automatically proceed to the preliminary final if they win first up, whereas in the McIntyre system team 3 only gets to achieve this if either team 1 or 2 loses and for team 4, two of teams 1/2/3 lose.

Regarding teams 5 and 6, it is sudden death for them throughout the entire finals. Whereas in the McIntyre system, they can potentially stay in week 2 if they lose depending on the other results. Also, in a rare situation, they can progress through to week 3, also depending on the results of the other games

Regarding teams 7 and 8, although it is sudden death for them throughout the entire finals, they get easier opponents first-up compared to the McIntyre system.

So, if you are talking about a system that REWARDS the teams based on their performance over the 26 rounds in the regular season, the current system is fairer:

Teams 1/2 have two guaranteed home games in weeks 1 and 2 or 3 + 2nd chance in week 1.
Teams 3/4 have a guaranteed home game in either week 2 or 3 + 2nd chance in week 1
Teams 5/6 have one guaranteed home game in week 1
Teams 7/8 have no home games

Whereas, the reward in the McIntyre system is an easier opponent in week 1 for the top 4 sides and the real reward thus goes to the 4 teams who win in week 1 because they carry the home ground advantage into weeks 2 and 3 .

I know people bitch and say that it was unfair that Melbourne in 2008 and Dragons in 2009 lost home ground advantage for losing in week 1. Well, if you can't beat team 8, then you deserve to lose whatever advantage has been given to you, simple as that

From a tv point of view, the current system also allows for more flexibility with the scheduling of matches. Whereas in the McIntyre system, the week 1 games have to be played in the order 4v5, 3v6, 2v7 and 1v8.

Last edited:

in.tro

Juniors
So if 3, 4, 7 and 8 won the system would not be rewarding teams based on where they finished on the ladder?

No....

All teams in the top 4 should have the opportunity to make the preliminary final in week 1. The McIntyre System mean that teams 5&6 could effectively make this game after week 1 if results went their way, resulting in team 3&4 being knocked out. I do not think that is fair.

The McIntyre System also gives chances to teams not as deserving to run 'deep' in the finals series. There are meaningless games. The Tigers finished 4th in 2011, played a tough match against the dragons in week one and won 21-12. The same week the 6th place Warriors lost to Brisbane 40-10, yet received a second chance the following week against the Tigers and went on to win. Brisbane also only beat the Dragons by 1 point the following week and could have easily been knocked out. I do not think either of those situations are fair.

If 5&6 were both knocked out by 7&8 and 1&2 lost the first week, the second week would be 1v8 and 2v7 (or similar). If 1 & 2 both lose again, well, they dont deserve to be there after losing 2 games in a row in a semi finals series. That's how I see it anyway. I think the current system is much fairer.

Loudstrat

Coach
Souths won 3 more games Than Canbrra, with a 100 point beter differential. Their reward? A tough away game, compared to an easier home game for Canberra. How is that fair?

Latest posts