What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So proud of Gallop

Hindmarshfan

Juniors
sorry for calliong you a dipsh*t.....
abused the trust of the nrl, maybe , if you owned a business and your employees you trained and looked after wanted to stay but were forced to go elsewhere because you werent allowed to pay them more wouldnt you be pissed?????

f**k this im outta here

have a nice day peace everyone,.

Hindmarsh rocks

go the storm go the ANZACS

My thoughts with all the DIggers and their families this weekend . Thank you.. peace out

Brutus

Referee
Gallop's impersonation of Bernie Fraser every time he speaks is about the only thing he does well in an NRL CEO sense.

Fui!!!

Juniors
All you people who are saying it is overkill, let us know what you would have done?

This is not about the fans, I do feel sorry for them. I wouldn't even be able to fathom what my reaction would be if Parra did this. But Gallop had to do the right things by the rest of the NRL, and he did.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
Overkill?

Is it the points for this year? I'm sorry but my club certainly shouldn't be disadvantaged for staying under the cap.

I'm saddened for the fans, and the players who were probably innocent - but the responsibility lies with the management. The NRL acted in the only way they could have to maintain integrity.

I expect fraud charges to be brought up against those responsible. With News Ltd. fuming, and with some of the best lawyers in the world, they will make sure they ruin anyone who cost them millions.

Jose93

Juniors
So proud of Gallop? Don't be so stupid. He's just wrecked the integrity of the competition in one swoop, killed Rugby League in Melbourne and told us however many years of the NRL never happened.

And this is about because of News Limited, in effect Gallop's employers. Owners of two clubs (just about), owner of the pay TV network who broadcasts 4/5 games most weeks, 50% owner of the NRL.

And News Limited are going to take Waldron to court to sue him or for fraud? That will be funny. News Limited - "We've lost so much money in lost prize money that we hand out." :D
"The clubs received so much negative publicity in our newspapers that have sold more." :D

Brian Waldron has probably recouped News Limited more money than the $1.7 million spent on this Salary Cap.

Fui!!!

Juniors
So proud of Gallop? Don't be so stupid. He's just wrecked the integrity of the competition in one swoop, killed Rugby League in Melbourne and told us however many years of the NRL never happened.

And this is about because of News Limited, in effect Gallop's employers. Owners of two clubs (just about), owner of the pay TV network who broadcasts 4/5 games most weeks, 50% owner of the NRL.

And News Limited are going to take Waldron to court to sue him or for fraud? That will be funny. News Limited - "We've lost so much money in lost prize money that we hand out." :D
"The clubs received so much negative publicity in our newspapers that have sold more." :D

Brian Waldron has probably recouped News Limited more money than the $1.7 million spent on this Salary Cap.

What would you have done?

The Tank

Bench
Yeh he should have just ignored it and encouraged corruption at both the clubs and within the NRL. :roll: That'd be fantastic!

Jose93

Juniors
I wouldn't be so proud of Gallop. You all think somehow this is great that he's exposed the Melbourne Storm club as "cheats." But he hasn't. No one should delude their self over this. The NRL (News Limited - they are almost the same) has failed to run the club it runs well, and has fined itself, whilst spreading it all over it's own media outlets. I'd be very careful what you believe over this scandal.

A section of an article from the Roar site.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/04/23/melbourne-storm-so-many-questions/

News Ltd
How is it that this sort of scheme could be set up within a News Ltd-owned company without their knowledge? Is it possible that the money being used to pay players outside the cap is actually News Ltd money, unbeknownst to them?

If News Ltd genuinely didn’t know about this, and it’s not their money, then where did it come from? Is this, or was this a factor in News Ltd’s apparently sudden move to hand over ownership of both the Melbourne Storm, and the NRL, that led to the Independent Commission talks?

It's amazing how all this has moved. News Limited wanted the game of RL to be big in Melbourne. Melbourne Storm are/were losing $6 million a year. In November, there were talks of a sale. Waldron left not long after. Then we had all the talk of an "independent commission."

I'll be honest, I don't believe half of this. It doesn't add up. Waldron was the cause, yet the club are more over the salary cap than ever before this year, and he's long gone? The second set of books story is the easiest one they could make up. This could easily be a good cover story to try and fold the club (Cut the losses) or relocate the club. Or they might (the 50% of the NRL that isn't News Limited controlled) considered sweeping this issue away with reforms to the club and the game, and as News Limited were identified as the problem, tried to remove them from the administration part of the game quicker.

What people are seemingly ignoring is, the NRL and Gallop are the most culpable for the corruption. It's 15 years of News Limited's conflicts of interest that have led to this.

Last edited:

fightingirish69

Juniors
All you people who are saying it is overkill, let us know what you would have done?

This is not about the fans, I do feel sorry for them. I wouldn't even be able to fathom what my reaction would be if Parra did this. But Gallop had to do the right things by the rest of the NRL, and he did.

and tell us how you feel if it was your club?

The Tank

Bench
All these conspiracy theories by people who know f**k all. None of us know what the hell happened.

Munky

Coach
I don't think Gallop can be blamed for the Storm rorting the cap.

It is very difficult to discover fraudulent acts as they are often very elaborate and are deliberately concealed by those who commit them.

An audit engagement at a listed company level barely touches fraud. An audit is only there to make sure the company follows accepted accounting principles.

Fraud is usually discovered in two ways, a whistleblower or the house of cards collapsing when the cooked books can't support the lack of cash flow. The Storm had no cash flow issues and I don't believe there was a whistleblower. It is a minor miracle that Schubert discovered anything.

IMO salary cap rorting is like insider trading. ASIC made one conviction or so last year. You have to be kidding if you think it isn't rampant.

How do we know if privately owned clubs are making extra payments to players. The Storm put the payments through their books. Other clubs with an outside owner wouldn't even have to put the payments in the accounting records.

The only way to enforce the salary cap is to give the NRL access to the player's tax returns. If the players were to falsify their tax returns then they would be in deeper sh*t than anything the NRL could throw at them.

nehalem

Juniors
he did right by tkaing off the premierships and minor premierships, the fine plus the handing abck of the prize money but the farcial nature of forcing them to play in this years comp and get no points has just screwed up the comp for 2010

strip them of points, put them into the minus enough so they cant make finals but saying "well you can win but you wont get points" just means all matches with the storm will be farcial

Why?

They deserve to suffer, they deserve to sweat blood and tears and get nothing in return...they've taken advantage of the game and now the game is back to rape them without lube :lol:

mwahahahahaha

StormChaser

First Grade
Anyone who takes even a shred of delight in this situation isn't a TRUE league fan, you don't love the game, you don't know jack about the game, and you don't want it to survive longterm, ergo, why are you even on this board?
Go back to rocking and drooling quietly in the corner, there's a good little nub troll.

God-King Dean

Immortal
1. Dragons 10
16. Storm 0

Teehee.

kbw

Bench
Gallop stated the Storm will not be able to retain players the same way the Bulldogs did. By doing so he has effectively acknowledged he has allowed salary cap cheats to win a premiership. Nothing to be proud of...

As Gallop showed with the handling of the many Bulldogs incidents, treatment of Matthew Johns, etc. Gallop is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction.

No this post is a knee jerk reaction, by someone that isn't actually thinking about what they are writing.
The first bit is not logically correct, he has allowed nothing of the sort. It happened while he was in charge yes, but that fact he has dealt with it shows he hasn't allowed it at all.

Latest posts