What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So the decsion was right...they just binned the wrong bloke?

Tipster

Bench
Finch needs to be held accountable and must be sacked.

I can't remember a season like this one where poor officiating has been a point of a discussion EVERY week.

The last defense of dead man walking.

Blame the players and then threaten to sin bin everyone who doesnt comply with the refs boss' incompetent, over zealous, mistake riddled, error filled whistle blowing.

On your scooter flinch.

gronkathon

First Grade
One thing that annoys me is the inconsistancy (sp?) of decisions related to their positioning on the field.

Now I am a Tigers fan but this is not a whine about Friday nights result. It is merely a direct example of my frustration on this.

There was a call for obstruction where it was ruled that Ellis running through had obstructed Bulldogs defenders yet no contact was made and no direction was changed in Marshalls run.

Last night Watmough runs through the line on a line and a player contacts him but as it is in the process of a try in the corner yet that is deemed perfectly fine.

I just do not understand why the rule is different in different parts of the field. Hell the Tigers have been awarded try's in the past with a decoy running the same line as Ellis.

I just don't understand it.

I know this is one minor incident but it is these plethora of minor incidents as well as the major gaffes that frustrate fans

flamin

Juniors
Perhaps, id did give a forward of ours a rest I suppose, but im sure we of rathered 13 players on the field, not 12.
Perhaps but with the way the refs are now Souths were always going to lose a player as well on the very next penalty. It's absolutely stupid.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
It has become quite clear that what is a penalty in one part of the field MIGHTN'T be a penalty in another part of the field.

What is a penalty at the start of the game PROBABLY WON'T be a penalty in the middle half of the game, but MIGHT be a penalty again at the end of the game.

What is a penalty against a team that is well-ahead in the penalty count in the second half ALMOST DEFINTELY WON'T be a penalty against the team that is behind on the penalty count in the second half.

Consistency is being purposefully chucked out the window from some unfathomable prupose.

Meanwhile, Finch the Fool keeps going on and on and on and on about key indicators, which is just BS jargon.

People pay to watch football, not penalties. They pay to watch footballers, not referees.

Perhaps the fans need to contact the sponsors to try to bring pressure on the NRL to act ... they seem unmotivated by the universal gnashing of teeth from practically every frustrasted fan in the land.

One thing that annoys me is the inconsistancy (sp?) of decisions related to their positioning on the field.

Now I am a Tigers fan but this is not a whine about Friday nights result. It is merely a direct example of my frustration on this.

There was a call for obstruction where it was ruled that Ellis running through had obstructed Bulldogs defenders yet no contact was made and no direction was changed in Marshalls run.

Last night Watmough runs through the line on a line and a player contacts him but as it is in the process of a try in the corner yet that is deemed perfectly fine.

I just do not understand why the rule is different in different parts of the field. Hell the Tigers have been awarded try's in the past with a decoy running the same line as Ellis.

I just don't understand it.

I know this is one minor incident but it is these plethora of minor incidents as well as the major gaffes that frustrate fans

Not only that. The Watmough example you mention is directly opposed to numerous other tries in period 06-09 by that same player & team where they were constantly denied during the refs "crackdown" by virtue of the refs interpretation of the obstruction rule.

The rule is being applied inconsistently on a per game basis & inconsistent from year to year according to the refs whim of the day.

gronkathon

First Grade
Speaking of Chocmong.

His "charge down" last night was terrible.

When does it stop being a charge down and start being a piss poor attempt to catch a ball which = knock on

skeepe

Immortal
I've been calling for Finch's sacking for 5 years. Glad to see the rest of the world catching up.

ByRd

First Grade
How is Finch still in this role of refs boss, the guy is an idiot and has no idea, we need a change and need it asap

The how and the why have become less important than the number and spread of penalties.

If the penalty count is 8 - 1 in favour of one team at half time you can bet your backside that by full time it will be closer to 11 - 10 at full time. Referees are dead scared to be seen as being "partial" to one side over another so in a lopsided situation they look to square the ledger by being harder on the side who has been more favoured.

The problem with this is that the Ref's are out there actively looking to make major infractions out of minor incidents to square the ledger. At the end of the day, who cares if a player is laying on a tackle for 12 seconds instead of 10 seconds? If the bloke is moving at the 10 second mark then let it go. Another thing that irks me is the "hand on the ball" penalty. If it is blatantly apparent that it has considerably slowed the ruck or caused a drop ball, then fair enough, but to penalise a bloke just because his hand is on the ball.... Bloody hell!

If I watched a game and the penalty count was 8 - 1 in favour of one team, I couldn't care less as long as the penalties were warranted. In fact, I'd be impressed that there were less than 20 penalties in the game.

The other stupid "KPI" that the Refs have is that they should automatically be binning players after a certain number of penalties in a row or a certain number in the game. The Bin should be for professional fouls only and if an individual player has been causing a large number of penalties. To bin one player because his team has given away a number of penalties is just plain stupid. Then to turn around and bin a player on the opposite side as a square up is just plain ludicrous.

Matt23

Staff member
Yep it's time to reform FOFF (f**k Off Finch Foundation), seriously he has to go

green eyed mike

Juniors
One ofhe problems is that instead of Finch allowing referees to actually referee a game as they see it in front of them they are expected to interpret all of these rules in a different way.

Most league fans would agree that as long as there is reasonable consistency in a game and foul play is penalised they would much rather see the game flow and the players decide the outcome rather than some tool in the middle blowing the pea out of his whistle.

If the law of the game are refereed in an increasingly pedantic manner then it will destroy it. Look at rah rah, they have to put what the penalty was for up on the screen because no one has a clue what is going on. Even with the laws as they are you could blow a penalty almost every tackle if you wanted to but who does that benefit?

I miss the days when there were always a couple of penalties early, basically the ref saying to the players "I'm in charge here" and then letting the game flow unless players are stupid enough to make you blow the whistle.

This is all a very long way of saying Finch is rubbish, has been forever and we need him gone for the good of the game.