What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So what now?

billy2

Juniors
You don't know what you're talking about. There is no US government agency that oversees sports, they're all on their own for raising funds. Only the US Olympic Committee has any official relationship with the US government.
And yet people estimate that the US spends more money on sports than the rest of the world combined.
It doesn't come from one government agency - and that doesn't happen in Australia, or any country I know of - maybe China - but it's still government money - be that federal, state or even local funding.

juro

Bench
Congrats to the USA team. I hope everyone involved with league in the USA does everything they can leading up to the world cup to make the most of this golden opportunity.

well done USA. welcome to the RLWC.

The only Government funding will come for youth development in inner cities. Other funding would be in the form of free or discounted venue rental and possible small business loans or assistance with advertising but that is about it. Those will come from tourism sectors. However one must have a reputation for putting butts in seats i.e. Jacksonville.

Regarding the Riff I know our doors are always open, its a question of anyone knocking on them and sitting down, or allowing our players in selection camps. Besides that I will say I am going to continue doing what I am doing to grow the sport in my region as well as throughout the USA.
I am ecstatic that the USA qualified, Lets hope our players are given a look, as we need to put forth the best side possible and that wont happen when 600 players do not get looked at. Also its negative to growing the sport as you put a bad taste in players mouth's.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Fantastic news the USA made it.Hope this is the start of bigger and better things for the code in the U.S.

Panadol

Juniors
Great News for USA, I do hope they make the quarter finals in the WC. Imagine the media attention from that

Big Picture

Juniors
Great News for USA, I do hope they make the quarter finals in the WC. Imagine the media attention from that
Considering that the tournament will take place during American football season I wouldn't anticipate much coverage of the US team in the American media, maybe a few small stories here and there at the most. The sports sections of American papers will be loaded with football coverage then just like they are every fall.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
You never know. I watched the rugby union world cup final in the middle of the afternoon on the west coast on Sunday. The game would have ended just before prime time in the east, and it was on NBC. Yeah, it was a delayed telecast, but it was on one of the biggest networks in the US. The game was broadcast into every home that has a TV set in the United States and Canada.

Last edited:

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Considering that the tournament will take place during American football season I wouldn't anticipate much coverage of the US team in the American media, maybe a few small stories here and there at the most. The sports sections of American papers will be loaded with football coverage then just like they are every fall.
Well, the rugby union world cup final was broadcast on Sunday into every home with a TV set in the United States and Canada. The game was shown in the middle of the afternoon on the west coast and would have ended just before prime time in the east. As everybody knows, Sunday is pro football day in the States, but that didn't stop NBC from showing New Zealand and France. If the Americans can advance beyond the group stage in 2013 and rugby league folks in the states can get their act together, the sky it the limit.

Big Picture

Juniors
Well, the rugby union world cup final was broadcast on Sunday into every home with a TV set in the United States and Canada. The game was shown in the middle of the afternoon on the west coast and would have ended just before prime time in the east. As everybody knows, Sunday is pro football day in the States, but that didn't stop NBC from showing New Zealand and France. If the Americans can advance beyond the group stage in 2013 and rugby league folks in the states can get their act together, the sky it the limit.
I had no idea NBC had taken the plunge on the RU world cup, I wonder what kind of ratings it got being up against the 4 PM Eastern NFL games on CBS and Fox. Just maybe the low-scoring RU borefest and fumble-a-thon could be a door opener for RL in the US.

Of course whether the RLWC organizers would understand how to maximize the benefit if they did get the games on American TV is another question. Presentation, venues, crowds and atmosphere would all be important in impressing Americans.

billy2

Juniors
I'm glad to see this thread has turned positive.

I have to say I got up yesterday morning full of anticipation that the Tomahawks may have qualified, and i was over the moon to find out they had done it, and done it well.
I went a bit ballistic when i immediately saw the same negative bullshit trotted out yet again, but it's great to see a few people who are actually involved bring sense and reason back to the conversation.

I started this forum 8 years or so ago, and i spent years scouring the net for American news and trying to make a positive post every day. That was my contribution to what i saw as the most positive thing happening in international League. I also did the same in a few earlier versions of this forum, going back to the start of the AMNRL after the old USRL folded in 2000.

In all that time there has never been a better day than yesterday. The result yesterday will deliver growth, money, credibility and respect, and it will all have been earnt by the hard work of the hundreds of people who have got the Tomahawks to where they are now. I've looked around the net a bit and haven't seen a single negative comment from anyone in America, and nor did i expect to, because every League fan there will be overjoyed that they can now perform on the world stage.

In the words of Craig Ferguson 'It's a great day for America'.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'm glad to see this thread has turned positive.
Read the thread back, it was always positive until you threw your little tantrum. I appreciate that you may have connections to the current AMNRL setup or whatever, and I also appreciate all the work that has taken place by those people and others to get to this point. I just don't want to see it all go to waste over a couple of petty disputes. And I think the same applies for everyone on here.

billy2

Juniors
Read the thread back, it was always positive until you threw your little tantrum. I appreciate that you may have connections to the current AMNRL setup or whatever, and I also appreciate all the work that has taken place by those people and others to get to this point. I just don't want to see it all go to waste over a couple of petty disputes. And I think the same applies for everyone on here.
I've never seen you do a positive post, and that's yet again a negative one.
I suspect you don't even know what a miserable whining twat you are.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't know if you are confusing me with someone else or if your judgment is clouded in some way, but if you are unable to see things rationally and have a reasonable discussion without flipping out and behaving like a three year old then maybe you should take a break from the forum.

undertaker

Coach
Although it will be a very tough ask to overcome both Wales and Cook Islands, I'd really love to see the Yanks get to the QFs. I think it would do a lot for the game in USA and give them some much needed exposure. If one of the big 4 FTA networks over there, NBC, had a lot of faith in the RUWC that they televised the RUWC Final up against the other FTA networks broadcasting the NFL, I'd love to see what they would do for RL if the USA achieves some success in the RLWC.

Last edited:

league13

Juniors
Originally Posted by Evil Homer

Nothing wrong with that post Billy.Not negative at all.We are all wanting the code to excell but we don't want to see all the hard work that's been put in come to nothing.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I had no idea NBC had taken the plunge on the RU world cup, I wonder what kind of ratings it got being up against the 4 PM Eastern NFL games on CBS and Fox. Just maybe the low-scoring RU borefest and fumble-a-thon could be a door opener for RL in the US.

Of course whether the RLWC organizers would understand how to maximize the benefit if they did get the games on American TV is another question. Presentation, venues, crowds and atmosphere would all be important in impressing Americans.
I agree with you on your last point. I watched a number of the RUWC games, all of them on TSN in Canada, except as I noted for Sunday's final. All of the games were in high defininition, and I must say, the picture quality was the best I have ever seen. I don't know if the cameras were state-of-the-art but I have not seen better quality, and as I type this I'm watching the World Series. And give the union guys their due, the stadiums looked great, the playing surfaces looked great and the atmosphere was electric for every game I saw. They did a great job, here's hoping the RLIF can do the same. They would do well to learn from the New Zealand games, because if they can emulate that presentation package they will wake up a lot of American sports fans. As an aside, I believe there is a method to NBC's madness in showing this game - with rugby 7's admission to the London Olympics there has been a bit of a resurgence in the union game. NBC also telecast the Las Vegas 7's this summer. I think the RUWC final was a continuation of NBC's pre-Olympic hype.

gutterfax

First Grade
As an aside, I believe there is a method to NBC's madness in showing this game - with rugby 7's admission to the London Olympics there has been a bit of a resurgence in the union game
2016 Olympics is when the 7's are in. Interesting that NBC showed the finbal on FTA.......I wonder how it rated?