What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soccer world cup could effect the 2014 NRL football season

Blatter Cup warning to Brazil
From correspondents in Rio de Janeiro
April 14, 2006

ARGENTINA and Chile could co-host the 2014 World Cup if Brazil is incapable of staging the event, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said today (AEST).

Blatter told Brazilian newspaper O Estadio de Sao Paulo that a joint bid between Argentina and Chile might be a possibility if Brazil is unable to build suitable stadia and infrastructure in time.

Under FIFA's policy of rotating the World Cup between continents, South America is guaranteed the right to host the 2014 finals, and Brazil has long been regarded as the front-runner.

But in remarks that could be viewed as a warning shot to Brazil, Blatter said FIFA may consider other options if the country struggled to put together a credible bid – and floated the idea of a joint bid.

"Why not present a joint bid between Argentina and Chile?" Blatter asked the paper. "At the moment I don't believe that Brazil has the stadia capable of staging the World Cup," he said.

FIFA said after the 2002 finals, staged by South Korea and Japan, that the Cup is unlikely to be split between two countries ever again.

Blatter said that if no South American country is able to bid for the tournament, FIFA would look to switch the location to North America or Australia, almost certainly meaning the finals would be staged in the United States, Mexico or Australia.

The vote to determine the 2014 host will be made at the FIFA Congress in 2008.

Agence France-Presse

So if the soccer world cup is unable to be held in South America then it may well come down under this would I'm sure have a significant effect on the NRL the best football comp in the world as the soccer WC is usually held in june or july right in the middee of our football season.

I mean here in Australia football sh*ts all over the soccer why should our NRL the best football comp in the world have to bow down to these soccer people?

Alex28

Coach
Could you please lose the Newcastle-esque name? We don't want anything to do with you - you are an absolute embarrasment.

I'll dumb this down for you because it appears you don't grasp anything that happens outside of NSW and QLD. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the WORLD. The NRL - whilst much loved by all of us here and perhaps a little too much by you - is virtually unknown outside of the east coast of Australia. Note that the french press release did not mention the NRL being potentially disrupted.

To be honest - I doubt the World Cup will be using the likes of Leichardt Oval, Shark Park, Brookvale Oval - I think we can work around not having Stadium Australia, SFS and Lang Park available for 6 weeks or so without disrupting the season too greatly.

But any way...I doubt we'll see it here in my lifetime in any case. Lets worry about it if we are lucky enough to get it.

markstan

Juniors
The world cup lasts a long time over a month, the football codes of Australia wont bow down to Soccer. A soccer world cup in Aus could only work in Summer which aint going to happen. If they tried in July the crowds would be non existant the AFL, and NRL would stuff them up big time. They might do ok for finals but it would be a big failure. Then there's the stadium issue, soccer games wont fill them and most stadiums wont screw the afl or NRL, just for a few crappy little games that a couple of foriegners will attend. And how many people will go to these sh*tty little games middle of the week? It would work in summer but not in the middle of the footy seasons.

Australians dont like soccer, the Australian market is exactly the same as the yanks. Even though any number of losers esp sbs will tell you it's set to explode it aint!

t-ba

Post Whore
LoL @ Markstan. It'd be a sellout...

Probably good for RL in the long run thoug. FIFA would probably laugh it's arse off when the FFA tries to convince them that Subi, AAMI and the MCG are all acceptable soccer grounds. We'd get nice 30,000 all seater rectangular venues in the Southern States.

markstan said:
The world cup lasts a long time over a month, the football codes of Australia wont bow down to Soccer. A soccer world cup in Aus could only work in Summer which aint going to happen. If they tried in July the crowds would be non existant the AFL, and NRL would stuff them up big time. They might do ok for finals but it would be a big failure. Then there's the stadium issue, soccer games wont fill them and most stadiums wont screw the afl or NRL, just for a few crappy little games that a couple of foriegners will attend. And how many people will go to these sh*tty little games middle of the week? It would work in summer but not in the middle of the footy seasons.

Australians dont like soccer, the Australian market is exactly the same as the yanks. Even though any number of losers esp sbs will tell you it's set to explode it aint!

I totally agree what red blooded Australian male is going to go out in the middle of the NRL football season and watch a load of bloody foreign sissy's who cn't even speak English kick some stupid soccer ball around World cup or no World cup.

Timbo

Staff member
A-They'd never give it to us.
B-Brazil will get their act together.
C-They'd never give it to us.
D-Discounting A,B and C, there are currently only 3 stadia in Australia (Telstra Stadium, Suncorp and Aussie) which meat FIFA WC requirements-Rectangular and at least 40k capacity. Can you see state and federal governments coughing up 200 million dollars per city that requires a new venue? Neither can I.

OVP

Coach
Joey J no1 Footballer said:
I totally agree what red blooded Australian male is going to go out in the middle of the NRL football season and watch a load of bloody foreign sissy's who cn't even speak English kick some stupid soccer ball around World cup or no World cup.

Hilarious. Post of the year without doubt. Clown :lol:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Anyone who shows up and agrees with the first post in this thread can join the bona fide LU idiots list.

Munky

Coach
markstan said:

The 94 World Cup in the USA is the highest attended World Cup in history.

Not a great comparison mate.

Glenn

First Grade
More chance of seeing Newcastle win a competition without Johns, than the Football World Cup come to Aus.

Bumble

First Grade
This Thread ---> Classic Threads.

:D:D:D

We could sell out Telstra 5 times over for the world cup final, and sell out any venue for any game...even Iran vs Tunisia would pack it out!

markstan

Juniors
I dont know what you guys have been smoking but there aint no way each game will come close to getting sold out. Paying $100+ for some sh*tty little game i'm sorry to disappoint but Australians wont buy that crap who will pay $70+ to see tunisia and Costa Rica play? Even the final would struggle to sell out in regard to the fact it would be either at MCG or Telstra and I cant imagine australians will shell out the Final price, Visitors may.

As for the America remark Fifa admitted that WC USA 94? didn't work as hoped. But lets look at USA pop 250 mil and situated a short distance from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc people who care about Soccer. Last time I checked Aus popn was 20 mil, unless you get a massive number of Asians who'll come to watch it will be a failure.

I cant believe the people of Australia that think a world cup could work in Aus. Grow up you stupid morons and get a life. What pack of losers will pay 70-100 dollars to see a couple of no name hacks play soccer get real. Thank bloody god none of you idiots are in charge of a company not even the most opptimistic of analyst would consider it to be possibly a success.

FIREUPGAZ

Juniors
markstan said:
I dont know what you guys have been smoking but there aint no way each game will come close to getting sold out. Paying $100+ for some sh*tty little game i'm sorry to disappoint but Australians wont buy that crap who will pay $70+ to see tunisia and Costa Rica play? Even the final would struggle to sell out in regard to the fact it would be either at MCG or Telstra and I cant imagine australians will shell out the Final price, Visitors may.

As for the America remark Fifa admitted that WC USA 94? didn't work as hoped. But lets look at USA pop 250 mil and situated a short distance from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc people who care about Soccer. Last time I checked Aus popn was 20 mil, unless you get a massive number of Asians who'll come to watch it will be a failure.

I cant believe the people of Australia that think a world cup could work in Aus. Grow up you stupid morons and get a life. What pack of losers will pay 70-100 dollars to see a couple of no name hacks play soccer get real. Thank bloody god none of you idiots are in charge of a company not even the most opptimistic of analyst would consider it to be possibly a success.

your a loser mate

sunny

markstan said:

The other bloke is a wind up at least, but you're serious! f**kin' gold!

Latest posts