What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soccer world cup could effect the 2014 NRL football season

Timbo

Staff member
markstan said:
There is no stadium problem Fifa haven't had a problem with the MCG in the past. We have plenty of stadiums more than good enough if not better than anything Europe could offer capacity wise.

It is very much an issue.

FIFAs regulations for World Cup stadia are very different from normal international regulations.

For pool matches you need to hold at least 40,000. For semi-finals and finals, its 55,000.

FIFA states that these should be rectangular for WC games-however they allow grounds with athletics tracks inside them to be used, however, thats nowhere near as bad as the MCG.

Now, lets go through the stadiums in Australia that qualify.

MCG-110,000 (Not rectangular)
Telstra Stadium-82,000
AAMI Stadium-55,000 (Not rectangular, even worse for rectangular field sports than MCG)
Suncorp Stadium-52,000
Telstra Dome-50,000 (Has retractable seating, however, this drops capacity to 45,000)
Subiaco-44,000 (Not rectangular)
SCG-44,000 (Not rectangular, wouldn't be considered due to TS and Aussie)
Aussie Stadium-44,000

That leaves 3 venues capable of hosting finals matches, only one of them being rectangular and the other two horrible for rectangular field sports. It leaves just 3 stadiums across 2 cities with venues that FIFA would class as preferred, only one of which can handle finals. Perhaps a WC would convince the Telstra Dome staff that now is good time to finally use the retractable seating, which would bump us up to 4 stadiums actoss 3 cities, but still that isn't much coverage. Also it only has 5 cities in the entire country with acceptable venues capacity wise.

I severely doubt the government (state or federal) would cough up that much money for new venues which will stop being used as soon as the WC concludes.

Bumble

First Grade
markstan said:
Err wrong stupid FIFA have set pricing for games/rounds and I hate to tell you again it will be at least $70 + for the initial group stage. And well the crap games do occour.

Interesting. I didn't know that...still, doubtful it would make a difference.

markstan said:
Im not stupid I do know a significant amount about soccer and crappy little games do occour, im sure I dont need to inform you how they draw the teams, and that such games occour. Concacaf, AFC, conmebol, UEFA, ETC.

Read it. " you hardly ever get 2 completely rubbish teams"

I know they happen, for the upcoming one we have only 2:
Iran vs Angola
Saudi Arabia vs Tunisia

But I guarentee they would sell out! As mentioned before, Aussie Stadium filled up for Georgia vs Uruguay for gods sake!

Bumble

First Grade
Timbo said:
It is very much an issue.

FIFAs regulations for World Cup stadia are very different from normal international regulations.

For pool matches you need to hold at least 40,000. For semi-finals and finals, its 55,000.

FIFA states that these should be rectangular for WC games-however they allow grounds with athletics tracks inside them to be used, however, thats nowhere near as bad as the MCG.

Now, lets go through the stadiums in Australia that qualify.

MCG-110,000 (Not rectangular)
Telstra Stadium-82,000
AAMI Stadium-55,000 (Not rectangular, even worse for rectangular field sports than MCG)
Suncorp Stadium-52,000
Telstra Dome-50,000 (Has retractable seating, however, this drops capacity to 45,000)
Subiaco-44,000 (Not rectangular)
SCG-44,000 (Not rectangular, wouldn't be considered due to TS and Aussie)
Aussie Stadium-44,000

That leaves 3 venues capable of hosting finals matches, only one of them being rectangular and the other two horrible for rectangular field sports. It leaves just 3 stadiums across 2 cities with venues that FIFA would class as preferred, only one of which can handle finals. Perhaps a WC would convince the Telstra Dome staff that now is good time to finally use the retractable seating, which would bump us up to 4 stadiums actoss 3 cities, but still that isn't much coverage. Also it only has 5 cities in the entire country with acceptable venues capacity wise.

I severely doubt the government (state or federal) would cough up that much money for new venues which will stop being used as soon as the WC concludes.

I'm sure we could fix up some stadiums in the 6 years between the world cup and the announcement, but you make alot of sense...or do the stadiums have to be ready at the time of the announcement?

nqboy

First Grade
Timbo said:
there are currently only 3 stadia in Australia (Telstra Stadium, Suncorp and Aussie) which meat FIFA WC requirements-Rectangular and at least 40k capacity. Can you see state and federal governments coughing up 200 million dollars per city that requires a new venue? Neither can I.
I guess we'll have to build them, just like every other damn country that wins the right to host the World cup.

nqboy

First Grade
brendothejet said:
Thank god.

do we want all those f**king destructive hooligans in our country>?
Check the Bulldogs crowds. I think you mean "do we want even more of those f**king destructive hooligans in our country?"

nqboy

First Grade
Whoever said they were a massive Knights fan but would give it up to watch Brazil v Italy, well said. I'm a Cowboys tragic but given the choice btw a top-of-the-table clash v the Broncos at DFS and Brazil v Italy (or some other country I've never heard of :lol: :lol: :lol:), I'd be hard pressed to choose as well.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
markstan said:
No sh*t Sherlock,

Now understand this if canada beat teams in there group they get the spot. Hell they won the concacaf thing a few years ago. If you knew anything about the game they are generally considering as emerging and by 2014 would have actually a good chance.

People attending Mali V Ecuador "wouldn't happen"

If Canada could beat all the teams they need to to make the WC, it would certainly be worth watching them.

Latest posts