What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solomon Quits Essendon

Dougie

Juniors
Its official, Solomon wants out apparantly.

Likely destinations could be Geelong or Richmond....looks like its going to be a big trade week for Essendon now! Maybe getting Stevens or possibly Wirrapunda if the rumours are true, Jacobs and another player whose name escapes me might be going to back to WA....

Melbourne may also be a possible destination for Solomon...

Meltiger in particular, from a Richmond perspective - what would you be willing to offer Essendon for Solomon?

meltiger

First Grade
Dougie said:
Meltiger in particular, from a Richmond perspective - what would you be willing to offer Essendon for Solomon?

#6 and Bowden (Sheedy is a fan) would be where I would start...

Dougie

Juniors
meltiger said:
Dougie said:

i think that would be a very good trade for us, we are after first round draft picks - im thinking that there is osmeone in the draft that Sheedy wants baaaadddd! he's already come out and said that we want first rounders....btw - is Bowden a KPP?

meltiger

First Grade
Dougie said:
meltiger said:
Dougie said:

i think that would be a very good trade for us, we are after first round draft picks - im thinking that there is osmeone in the draft that Sheedy wants baaaadddd! he's already come out and said that we want first rounders....btw - is Bowden a KPP?

A Key Position Player? lol no, he's allegedly a half forward flanker.... Only skill he has is turning a dozen soft posessions over to the opposition every week.

I don't think it would be a good trade at all.... Not much in draft this year, teams are better off chasing proven talent rather if they haven't got a top 5 pick.

Dougie

Juniors
meltiger said:
Dougie said:
meltiger said:
Dougie said:

A Key Position Player? lol no, he's allegedly a half forward flanker.... Only skill he has is turning a dozen soft posessions over to the opposition every week.

I don't think it would be a good trade at all.... Not much in draft this year, teams are better off chasing proven talent rather if they haven't got a top 5 pick.

for some reason sheedy wants someone in the draft, not sure who at this stage, he's keeping tight lipped about that.

Hopefully at least one of the rumours is true - according to rumour we could get wirrapunda or stevens - with Jacobs and Solomon both looking like leaving, its looking more and more likely!!! :)

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:

I'm not sure about this, Craig.

There's so much more time, effort & resources put into the development of youngsters these days that I tend to be loathe to give up first round picks lightly these days. I would hope to get the Kangaroos top pick and John Baird for Jade Rawlings during the trade period; and from there I would hope that the club would use its two first round picks to get the best tall young kpp types going around.

I think Solomon is a solid footballer and while he should still have a lot of football left in him, I wouldn't be giving up first round picks unless you were getting kpp or quality midfield types in return.

CyberKev

Dougie

Juniors
CyberKev said:
meltiger said:

I'm not sure about this, Craig.

There's so much more time, effort & resources put into the development of youngsters these days that I tend to be loathe to give up first round picks lightly these days. I would hope to get the Kangaroos top pick and John Baird for Jade Rawlings during the trade period; and from there I would hope that the club would use its two first round picks to get the best tall young kpp types going around.

I think Solomon is a solid footballer and while he should still have a lot of football left in him, I wouldn't be giving up first round picks unless you were getting kpp or quality midfield types in return.

CyberKev

Apparantly Geelong is also very interested in Jacobs - not sure how much they would be prepared to offload. Would be looking for a first rounder and a fairly solid player in return.

What other clubs do you think would Essendon be interested in trading with?

I can only think of Melbourne, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Richmond.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
I wouldn't be giving up first round picks unless you were getting kpp or quality midfield types in return.

CyberKev

Unless mate, they can plug very clear holes in the line up.... Which Brown and Solomon can do at Richmond.

We won't get Solomon anyway, with Sheedy acting like a penis.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
CyberKev said:
I wouldn't be giving up first round picks unless you were getting kpp or quality midfield types in return.

CyberKev

Unless mate, they can plug very clear holes in the line up.... Which Brown and Solomon can do at Richmond.

Sheedy always acts the tool...

The problem with constantly topping up holes is that more holes keep arising to compensate and the holes keep getting bigger. Richmond is in clear need of a major revamp, but this would take 3 years of full-on youth-based drafting. They don't appear to have the stomach for it and I can sort of understand this as it doesn't come with a fail-safe guarantee. The other problem is that in having a coach like Frawley at the helm, he will always take soft options because he isn't proven and doesn't have a stranglehold on his job. Miller is running hard at the ball, but in many ways he still has to prove himself at Richmond also. At North he was blessed to have a clump of talented & hard-nosed young players arriving at the club at the same time, including an all-time great like Carey. At North this allowed him to work well within a tight budget, but it was made all the easier by the calibre of coach and cattle he had to play with.

Richmond has big concerns, but I'm not glossing over the worries in my own backyard.

The Hawks have been having a never-ending amateur hour since the season finished and have been scaring me silly with crazy talk about the possibility of drafting Richo!!!! There oughta be blood from wall to wall out Glenferrie way if they do something that stupid. Alas, my notion of trading Rawlings for top pick and a player is not the preferred option of the club who appear to be hell bent on getting a seasoned player in exchange. Best case scenario would be the mooted talk of Danny Jacobs and North's top pick in a complex multi-club trade, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Should be an intriguing trade week...

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
meltiger said:
CyberKev said:

CyberKev

Sheedy always acts the tool...

What makes me laugh the hardest about his stupidity yesterday is that his club ONCE AGAIN has been sprung rorting the Cap with the non-existant website, and he dares accuse Richmond of 'ruining footy' .... How about you cheating scumbags try to play by the rules first before slinging mud at one of the other clubs? I mean give me a break, Carlton is going after every single out of contract player in the comp.... But he only attacks us, wonder why that is? lol He's an idiot and I'm glad he turned us down before we appointed Frawls. Reading the paper and hearing that Miller laughed in his face when he started acting like a moron was brilliant :)

"they've barely made the finals in 20 years" .... Yet we're still recognised as one of Melbourne's biggest clubs, let's see where Essendon are after a similar run and their scumbag supporters with their shiny new jerseys jump off the bandwagon.

CyberKev said:
The problem with constantly topping up holes is that more holes keep arising to compensate and the holes keep getting bigger. Richmond is in clear need of a major revamp, but this would take 3 years of full-on youth-based drafting. They don't appear to have the stomach for it and I can sort of understand this as it doesn't come with a fail-safe guarantee. The other problem is that in having a coach like Frawley at the helm, he will always take soft options because he isn't proven and doesn't have a stranglehold on his job. Miller is running hard at the ball, but in many ways he still has to prove himself at Richmond also. At North he was blessed to have a clump of talented & hard-nosed young players arriving at the club at the same time, including an all-time great like Carey. At North this allowed him to work well within a tight budget, but it was made all the easier by the calibre of coach and cattle he had to play with.

Richmond has big concerns,

We certainly do have soem serious problems - One of them being that I'm only a bronze member in the new rewards program .... Member for 9 eyars is NOT a bronze member!!!! Someone has stuffed something up... LOL ! Anyway whinge over... We are good enough to finish anywhere from 4th to 13th-14th ... We do not have a list that will consistently finish at the bottom of the table ala St Kilda/Collingwood nor do we have the players to be able to trade for decent early picks. With a perenially mediocre side, they are going to struggle to rebuild the club purely through kids given they will never get priority draft picks.

What are they supposed to do? Solly and Brown will plug some MASSIVE holes in the Richmond line up.... IF they can get them.

There is also the usual problem at Tigerland that if they don't make the finals next year Casey is rooted and Frawls won't be coach in 2005, so you can hardly blame them.

CyberKev said:
but I'm not glossing over the worries in my own backyard.

The Hawks have been having a never-ending amateur hour since the season finished and have been scaring me silly with crazy talk about the possibility of drafting Richo!!!! There oughta be blood from wall to wall out Glenferrie way if they do something that stupid. Alas, my notion of trading Rawlings for top pick and a player is not the preferred option of the club who appear to be hell bent on getting a seasoned player in exchange. Best case scenario would be the mooted talk of Danny Jacobs and North's top pick in a complex multi-club trade, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Should be an intriguing trade week...

CyberKev

You know Richo is not as bad as people make out .... I challenge anyone with even half the ability of that man to go out there and not get frustrated at the shithouse delivery that he is given from further up the ground... if they kick the ball to him then he marks it, not much he can do when the ball is dropping short of him or going over his head... I'd get the shits with the midfield too to be honest. & I've never been his biggest fan but he does get a rough ride.

The goal kicking is a concern I will give you that but put Matty Lloyd in the current Richmond side and he'd only kick 40 goals a year.

The Hawks are doing ok at this stage ... They will do really well out of Rawlings, I wouldn't be too concerned about the track their taking mate.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
The Hawks are doing ok at this stage ... They will do really well out of Rawlings, I wouldn't be too concerned about the track their taking mate.

LOL! They give the distinct impression that they've got very little idea. I wanted to keep Rawlings, but I don't blame the club for taking the 2-year with an option approach. They've got into real problems with back-ended contracts and have been heavily criticised for signing a series of players to long term contracts only to struggle to get them on to the paddock.

That being said, their recent drafting has been (at best) indifferent. I wasn't so worried about Everitt, as ruckmen get better with age and unlike most, he does have the diversity of playing forward. The decison to palm-off Croad, whilst harsh on the lad, has been well and truly proven to be the right move. On the downside, what in the hell was the club thinking when it picked-up Kingsley Hunter, and tell me again the rationale behind using pick #8 on an unremarkable 185cm wannabe kp kid from Ratville???!!! Okay, so he's struggled with a bad shoulder injury, but really, it was always a risky option.

Richo? Hawthorn MUST NOT pick him up! I agree with you that there are worse players going around, but given his age, injury record, and demeanour problems, he is anything but a gilt-edged recruitment prospect. 4 or 5 years ago I would've given big for him, but his best days are now well behind him.

Richmond are very much caught betwixt and between. The longer you go without major revamoing the harder it is to enter the process. They would have similar fears for 2004 as Hawthorn would have... The posssibility of finishing in 9th or 10th spot. They had several years of doing this in the late 90s, which has contributed to their current malaise. You get to thinking that you may be good enough to get in next year, and you miss out on the financial boost of finals football PLUS the very best draft picks on offer. Hawthorn has finished in these spots for the past two years and would find a three-peat to be almost disastrous.

Interesting times...

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
Essendon defender Dean Solomon has rejected a massive offer from Richmond
and will remain at Windy Hill.

Solomon informed his manager Michael Quinlan overnight from London, where is
is holidaying, that loyalty to his teammates was first and foremost in his
mind as he weighed up the offer from Richmond, reported to be worth $1.6
million over four years.

"The decision is final," Quinlan told afl.com.au.

"Dean has thought long and hard about this, but he feels a strong bond
towards the coaches, the players and the staff at Essendon and for those
reasons he has decided to stay."

Reading between the lines... Essendon told him they wouldn't trade him and he would end at Footscray or Carlton ;-)