What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solomona's Contract

EELS13

Juniors
Just need a little help on the implications of Solo's contract next.
Am i right in assuming that the amount we were contracted to pay him next year still counts on our cap, even though the actual cash will be payed to him by Wakefield.
Similar to the way the tigers took over the monetary side of Michael Beuttners contract, yet he still counted on our salary cap this past season.
If in fact Solo's contract does come off our books effective imediately, than surely we will have a decent amount of cash left for another above average player, preferably someone to cover the back five.

im pretty sure that what comes off our contract is only what we have to pay him

if Wakefield took 100% of that contract then I do believe we are obligation free in relation to the Cap.

EELS13

Juniors
If thats the case, we may best be too sit on the extra cap space till next off season where we can plug any weaknesses we may descover through out next season. We dont want to committ all our money, and then be left with nothing when the next batch of free agents hit the market in 2004.

Redback71

First Grade
im pretty sure we have a few players coming off contract next year also that maybe worth a bit more then there currently on. like cayless, burt, vella and hindy i think any way plus several others

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I say we spend up big time. According to ads in the paper today, seven NRL clubs will be gone in four years, and we are one of them.
So we might as well go out with a bang. Lets win the comp in one of our final years.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hey ME! I revealed months ago we were in grave danger and I can remember you dismissing the theory of the dreaded tax killing our club. Does that mean you believe the newspaper but not me???...I'm deeply offended :cry:

half

Coach
pffft it's all a scam from those greedy leagues club fatcats

anyhoots, i don't think we should spend just because we can. the squad for next year is one of tranquillity right now, and we should only add if we can happen to buy an established superstar who could really help us in our grand final aspirations

Maroubra Eel

Coach
eelavation said:
Hey ME! I revealed months ago we were in grave danger and I can remember you dismissing the theory of the dreaded tax killing our club. Does that mean you believe the newspaper but not me???...I'm deeply offended :cry:
I can't believe anybody would remember the crap I go on with. I have changed my mind a little bit on the tax. Maybe the clubs do have a case. Although I still think the ads in the paper may be a little exagerated.
btw Eelavation I am a bit of a stirrer and sometimes I write stuff just to get a reaction out of people. :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
Don't be surprissed if in the next 12 months providing this tax goes through there will be Merger talk re surfacing with the Panthers, But we wouldn't be alone there.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
Don't be surprissed if in the next 12 months providing this tax goes through there will be Merger talk re surfacing with the Panthers, But we wouldn't be alone there.

Oh no!!.....would the NRL consider dropping the salary cap to accomodate lesser teams like us :lol: :lol: ??

I say let's start with the cheerleaders!!...there a nuisance and disrupt my concentration!!

Razzar

Juniors
Solomona will be in england either today or the next few days and everybody cannot wait to see him play on the 30th of jan... Can't wait to see him out on the field vs Leeds..with our other buys Semi Tadulala, Sid Domic and Justin Ryder.

Raz

Misty Bee

First Grade
I still reckon he is a great buy. he has ball skills to die or, and had the ability to be in the game's elite. I hope he realises his potential at Wakefield.

bartman

Immortal
And he play's like a gun in the recently released NRL computer game!

Sub him into your Eels (or Wakefield) 2003 top 17 immediately...

Razzar

Juniors
I have that Game and he is pretty good on it.

Looking forward to seeing him in action alongside Michael Korkidas our rampaging Prop from Sydeny Roosters (2002) and Dallas Hood and Gareth Ellis who may play second row this year like he did for GB.

Raz - How big is solo?? and is he a second rower or Prop??

bartman

Immortal
Solo is a second rower, a good ball-playing type, with reasonably solid build. COuld probably handle prop at a pinch, but would be watsed there imo.

Weight 108kg, height 183cm, according to last year's NRL site profile. Turns 26 in late January. He should blossom this year, after an unfortunate year with the Eels in 03.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
EELS13 said:
Just need a little help on the implications of Solo's contract next.
Am i right in assuming that the amount we were contracted to pay him next year still counts on our cap, even though the actual cash will be payed to him by Wakefield.
Similar to the way the tigers took over the monetary side of Michael Beuttners contract, yet he still counted on our salary cap this past season.
If in fact Solo's contract does come off our books effective imediately, than surely we will have a decent amount of cash left for another above average player, preferably someone to cover the back five.
well we must have doubled the cap trying to pay out all the contracts that brian smith and allies have cut short over the last couple of years, as well as keep hindy caylo and jamie, as well as buy other clubs players.... :roll:

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, I think the last of our cap for 2004 would have gone on late signings Kafusi and Langi. And that would've taken into account any discount from Solo's UK contract money. It's all been spent on upgrading contracts to keep players, or buying some bargain guys - to make up for the depth we lose when our young up and comers end up looking elsewhere to try and break into the first grade.

I think we are actually staying within the cap tho, which is why our guys have to leave or cut short their contracts. In a perfect world, the League policies would emphasise the building of whole CLUBS rather than just of the one top grade team.

Latest posts