What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solomone Kata

Rich102

Staff member
Gasp...Could Iron Lion be right?

Actually I was impressed by Kata at the trial. He has a funny running style. Very little knee flex. More of a fast shuffle. But yes, I think both of our wingers will benefit from Kata's move

Big Marn

Juniors
I've seen feedback from people close to the Warriors since Kata came on the scene that he has an excellent pass in one direction.

Seems logical if hes now on his favored side you're talking a different Kata.

Been training there all off season too. Will be interesting to watch the changes play out as you and others have said.

I think Kata will come into his own.

I hope so. It certainly worked for Bunty. They wasted a season running him out of position, he was a shadow of the player you see now at Prop.

Katas direct power running and Fusitua's corner work are the perfect compliment ( if Kata is on his natural passing lane) kata always draws two . ..
I like what you are saying but from my observations over the last 3 years, Kata comes across as a ballhog and a glory hound and his first inclination/instinct is not to pass.
If what you say is true regarding his passing ability in one direction, then maybe things will change and my viewpoint of him will change.

As a comparison with another sport, one of the key reasons for the success of the Golden State Warriors is their passing game where they are looking to find the easier shot by making those extra passes. They easily lead the NBA in assists per game and generally do not lose when they hit the 30 assist mark in the game.

sup42

Juniors
I think Tohu played right side last year alongside Johnson and Hiku. I'm guessing it would look like this if we keep those backs you mentioned...

Left side:
Ken/Hiku/Papalii

Right side:
Fus/Kata/Tohu

Floater:
RTS
In the last trial they did the opposite. Tohu and Hiku played left in attack.

I am hoping that is the configuration we'll see round one, it will really stuff with coaches trying to defend the 2018 video analysis of the Warriors if a completely new left and right three quarterline comes at them.

Ken will surely bag a ton of trys off Hiku and Tohu.

Put it this way it will be a lot harder to defend than Mannering and Kata.

Only watched highlight of trials but has
Hiku improved his defense?
Kata not jumping out of the line and heading in leaving his winger to take on 2-3 players?

sup42

Juniors
Only watched highlight of trials but has
Hiku improved his defense?
Kata not jumping out of the line and heading in leaving his winger to take on 2-3 players?
Unfortunately the Tigers attack was horrible, not unlike the Storm the week before.

Hiku didn't have to do too much defensively, still a big unknown, wisely they have hedged their bets having Tohu moved left with him.

Kata didnt come in on the right, I thought he looked pretty solid defending with Fus and Papalii.

The only defensive glaring lapses were when CHT was on, and when LIsone is retiring in the middle, jogging with his back turned while the opposition tear us open ( nothing new).

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
In the last trial they did the opposite. Tohu and Hiku played left in attack.

I am hoping that is the configuration we'll see round one, it will really stuff with coaches trying to defend the 2018 video analysis of the Warriors if a completely new left and right three quarterline comes at them.

Ken will surely bag a ton of trys off Hiku and Tohu.

Put it this way it will be a lot harder to defend than Mannering and Kata.
I didn't watch much of the trial as I get bored quickly.

I like how your always upbeat about our team and you go pretty far with it too. I have my doubts on some of the things you're hopeful about but we shall see.

Just dont go missing from the forum when what you say doesn't pan out lol.

sup42

Juniors
I didn't watch much of the trial as I get bored quickly.

I like how your always upbeat about our team and you go pretty far with it too. I have my doubts on some of the things you're hopeful about but we shall see.

Just dont go missing from the forum when what you say doesn't pan out lol.
I'm not making predictions as such, other than the team looking radically different if they stick to Tohu and Hiku on the left.

Compare that to years of kick it to Manu. Or give Manu the ball with ten people in front of him.

Or Manu doesnt get ths ball because Dane Neilson or Kata hold onto the ball. Or Mannering dies with in the tackle.

What you can predict with a changed left edge is that it will be VERY different to decades of Warrior one arm boxing . . . They're like David Tua . . . Bad haircuts and a left hook.

Honestly man I'm champing at the bit because of the changes.

It could all turn to crap in the first ten seconds if Greens hamstring gives way . . . Til then . . . I imagine good things, especially from our highly underrated 2019 forward pack . . . . aparently they're headed for the spoon according to many NRL experts . . . Personally Now Ah Mau is here and the young forwards are year two Corvo . . . I think we' ve got defensively one of the toughest packs un the comp . . . Which is all very Kearney-esq

sup42

Juniors
The main point I have been trying to make ( clearly very badly) is that the Warriors have never in their history had a coaching set up that has switched the right side with the left. Forget the small details re Kata switching. The big news in the last trial is they switched both edge forwards and Centers.

I doubt any of our opponents this season would have the personel, the vision, or the balls to take a risk like this and swap their whole attack frame over.

This is a historic shift in the clubs history, at no other time would they dare change something that works (they're meddling with their best edge with the leading NRL TRY scoring record. Its akin to Cleary putting Manu on the right wing.

As such there is everything to attract interest of the faithful this season.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
I this is being massively over analysed. FWIW Kata was ok but certainly not groundbreaking in the trial.

Hiku still needs to prove he can tackle and Kata still needs to prove he can lose the ego and pass.

sup42

Juniors
I this is being massively over analysed. FWIW Kata was ok but certainly not groundbreaking in the trial.

Hiku still needs to prove he can tackle and Kata still needs to prove he can lose the ego and pass.
Sure but name a warriors team that completely switched its backline?

There is none. 2019 is a radical season before a balls kicked. How they get on who the hell knows but it's a new era either way.

Matua

Bench
What I'm finding odd about the um, supporters of Kata is the belief that he's suddenly going to come right on the basis of one trial match. He's been in the team for 3 or 4 years now and he hasn't ironed out his hungas-ness and he hasn't fixed his poor defence reads in that time. This place nearly melted down last year because Hiku was falling ff one on one tackles yet Kata's had years of poor defence that puts pressure on everyone around him but because he makes one on one tackles there doesn't seem to be the same meltdown.

I hope Kata because the player a whole bunch of you seem to think he's going to be this year, I'm just not confident a leopard can change its spots just because it moves to the other side of the field.

Laumape has been looking good for the Canes this year, it's a pity he didn't stay with the Warriors as I reckon he'd be carving up right now.

Iafeta

Referee
Sure but name a warriors team that completely switched its backline?

There is none. 2019 is a radical season before a balls kicked. How they get on who the hell knows but it's a new era either way.

I’m sure if you go back there will be instances of it.

Nevertheless we’ve seen players change position over the years. Lance Hohaia, Joel Moon, PJ Marsh (started as a 6), Sione F ... imo none of this is that big a deal and I’m certainly not convinced they’ve solved quantum physics yet. Kata wasn’t that impressive in the trial. Harris is a good footballer with a good football IQ. Hiku still looks to have issues defensively.

Katas issue to me is that he’s a hog or that he really distrusts his wingers finishing ability. Not what side he plays on. It’s all in the lads head.

sup42

Juniors
Unfortunately Kearneys blinkers are on when it comes to Kata.

Its Kata or bust.

Real shame Tane Milne was injured, could have been talking a realistic personel change instead of switching pieces on the board.

Plenty of opportunities will eventuate with the dreaded injury reality, Hiku into the halves is a thing in Kearneys mind.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm not predicting anything but it is heartening to know Kearney is prepared to switch things up and try something different. It certainly needed it. The real nerve-wracking issue is the club's greatest ever finisher playing outside Kata, and we'll certainly need to see how that plays out. Surely Solomone will get it into his head that he needs to get his head around feeding Fus at every opportunity. That might open up opportunities for himself (Kata) as well as guys slide for the threat of Fus.

I'm optimistic about Kata. I still believe he's capable, he had a breakout year early on ('16,'17?) and was 2nd or 3rd in our POTY, but has faded for whatever reason. I'm going to give him the opportunity to get better, like I didn't with Ken last year that put pie on my face.

sup42

Juniors
I'm not predicting anything but it is heartening to know Kearney is prepared to switch things up and try something different. It certainly needed it. The real nerve-wracking issue is the club's greatest ever finisher playing outside Kata, and we'll certainly need to see how that plays out. Surely Solomone will get it into his head that he needs to get his head around feeding Fus at every opportunity. That might open up opportunities for himself (Kata) as well as guys slide for the threat of Fus.

I'm optimistic about Kata. I still believe he's capable, he had a breakout year early on ('16,'17?) and was 2nd or 3rd in our POTY, but has faded for whatever reason. I'm going to give him the opportunity to get better, like I didn't with Ken last year that put pie on my face.
You're preaching to the choir here.

No one's saying Kata is all of a sudden a favorite, but switching so many players during an offseason without changing the personel is radical coaching by Warriors standards, and I find that aspect fascinating . . . I cannot wait to see Ken with Hiku and Tohu feeding him ball.

It's night and day from Kata's hogging of years passed.

As you say, having the knowledge that he is parked next to Fus is something Kata cannot ignore.

Incidently, the Tongan coach tried it first. Kata made several attempted passes to Fus when he was stuck next to him, so Kata knows, there are no excuses.

For Tonga their combo was clunky and Kata's passes were awful.

I put that down to unfamiliarity for now, we will know the truth soon enough.

By round six . . .

At least we won't die wondering, won't die under the weight of assumptions made in ignorance.

This just got real.

Blair

Coach
Good chitchat on Kata. After the Penrith final last year I never wanted to see him in a Warriors jersey again.

I really hope he's changed.

The Pa Kid

Juniors
Yes it?s been very hard to watch.
The rate in which points are conceded is mind numbing.
Cappy states the team are trying but the defensive mis-reads and errors have not been address in the last 5 weeks. So Andrew;

Kata is a right sided player!
Hurrell needs to stand ½ meter wider with his outside shoulder facing in.
Friend needs to push more laterally(drift) and quickly to crowd the outside channel. Leave the middle defending to Mannering.
All players need to get of the line once the foot is raised not when the dummy touches the ball. (its illegal but the top teams are doing it)
The younger forwards need to put their targets on the ground and communicate to the player next to them and importantly practice what you trained. (or maybe they are!)
ffs it isn?t rocket science.

Sorry guys just patting myself on the back. Posted this in 2015...

guten_targ

Juniors
Kata is a player that thrives on confidence, if he gets stepped once you will find him making mistakes defensively and that is because he has no idea on the read of the game when he lacks confidence, he scored 12 trys last year....he also let 21 through the channel he defends...wonder if he and Francis Meli are related?