What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solving the Diving issue

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Diving has become so commonplace and almost accepted as part of modern rugby league, that no one seems to care so much about it anymore – which is almost as big a disgrace as the act itself.

This game was not built on rewarding acts of cowardice. Staying down to earn a penalty makes the game and the players look weak and soft, which we all know, is not the case. But actions speak louder than words. Any act of lying, especially one designed to gain an advantage, is always going to be seen, essentially, as an act of cheating.

While cheating is impossible to remove from any sport, it is possible to reduce this particular form of it. That can only be for the betterment of the game’s and the player’s image.

While most dives don’t directly result in a major advantage – like a try or match winning penalty goal (such as Issac Luke’s infamous golden-point dive a few seasons back) – far too many of them do change the momentum of a game significantly.

If a player takes a dive, the perpetrator should be automatically declared as concussed and made to sit out for the rest of the match and the following week, to ensure that they have recovered from their injury which debilitated them so.

This could be passed off by the NRL as a change designed to protect the welfare of all their players, while at the same time dramatically reducing the amount of diving that takes place in a game. It would also help games flow a little better and allow for actual skill to decide who wins a game, not acting capability.

With this gutless act wiped out, the NRL could then get down to the business of removing the biggest blight on the game, the horrible wrestling tactics.

While these are much harder to get rid of, more effort needs to be made to crack down on it.

Diving is nothing more than cheating, but wrestling holds and the like are downright dangerous and cowardly.

As if the NRL isn’t hard enough already, every club – not just Melbourne, the long-time poster child for the controversial methods – now employs wrestling coaches who teach players how to attack weak points so as to dominate more easily in defence. This isn’t skill. It’s ugly and pathetic.

Sadly, the longer it takes to try and remove these eyesores on rugby league, the more it will infiltrate all levels of the code and become acceptable practice for all players – including the 8-year-old kids, who will be turned off the game that is becoming increasingly unrecognisable from the one we all grew up with.

http://commentaryboxsports.com/australian/nrl/a-rule-change-to-eliminate-diving-scourge.html

cleary89

Coach
If the 4 on field officials miss it then too bad. Id rather penalties be missed than players lying down.

SET2JT

Juniors
Lol about Nrl players Diving and comparing it to Soccer. In soccer they don't get touched and they fall down where as here they get hit high don't get the penalty so they stay down to get the right call. The problem should not be with the players but the refs for missing these tackles in the first place.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
How to solve the diving issue: don't hit players in the head.

Luckily for Sam burgess SBW got up after being smacked in the head in the 2014 prelim. Safe to say Sam would've gone close to missing the GF if SBW didn't get to his feet to play the ball despite being cracked across the chops.

grouch

First Grade
I am in favour of outlawing the shoulder charge. I'm in favour of the concussion rule. Player safety is paramount.

But diving is a scourge, a major blight on the game at the moment and I want it gone. It's a laughable aspect of soccer and it is growing like a plague in our game.

I agree with the proposal in the OP. Take them from the field if they cant get up. I'd prefer to see players struggling to get off the floor after taking a hit, than lying down pretending to be hurt. The game was built on celebrating that kind of toughness - true toughness. Bring that back asap.

_snafu_

Immortal
I think players that dive should be shot as they lay. That will ensure that they will get up straight away if they are not hurt or, if they are legitimately hurt, save on medical and rehabilitation costs as they will be dead.

gUt

Coach
Sounds like a decent idea to discourage diving. I get the sense that officials aren't really looking for those accidental shots to the chin because they know a camera will pick them up. If players are made to pay a heavy price for staying down, it puts the onus back on the on-field refs to watch for them more closely.

As for wrestling tactics, I'm not sure I agree. So long as wings aren't being chickened or pressure applied to the neck I can't see a moral difference between battering a merkin to the ground with a hard shot, a grass cutter or wrestling tactics. They just seem like different ways of achieving the same result.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
It has been said countless times before, but a simple rule addition would stamp out the issue almost completely - any player that stays down so long that play has to be stopped must leave the field for a mandatory medical assessment that lasts a minimum of say 10 minutes. Whether that is a concussion test, or a doctor's examination of whatever "injury" the player has stayed down for. If there is deemed to have been foul play involved they get a free interchange and a penalty.

If the injury is real, the player will get the help they need and can return to the field. If it is faked - essentially they have been sin binned for diving and the team (while still operating with full compliment) will have to play without them for 10 minutes.

Players that have copped an injury that is not serious will not be disadvantaged by this as they should get to their feet or get to the trainer out the back. If they can't do this then they need to go off anyway.

nick87

Coach
There is an easy fix, unless it's blatant foul play that requires a sin bin/send off, the video is not allowed to review these incidents
If the referee's miss it, too bad, so sad.

beave

Coach
The highlight for me over the last few years has been the lack of diving in games between NQ and Brisbane. Some of these games have been ferocious as f**k and hardly anyone has laid down by either side when hit slightly/obviously high. And I think the games have been better because of it.

_snafu_

Immortal
It has been said countless times before, but a simple rule addition would stamp out the issue almost completely - any player that stays down so long that play has to be stopped must leave the field for a mandatory medical assessment that lasts a minimum of say 10 minutes. Whether that is a concussion test, or a doctor's examination of whatever "injury" the player has stayed down for. If there is deemed to have been foul play involved they get a free interchange and a penalty.

If the injury is real, the player will get the help they need and can return to the field. If it is faked - essentially they have been sin binned for diving and the team (while still operating with full compliment) will have to play without them for 10 minutes.

Players that have copped an injury that is not serious will not be disadvantaged by this as they should get to their feet or get to the trainer out the back. If they can't do this then they need to go off anyway.

Would this be open to abuse to get free interchanges?

DiegoNT

First Grade
My biggest problem isn't players staying down for penalties, it's players staying down for minor injuries causing huge stoppages in play (worst is when play is stopped for a minute due to cramp!). A simple solution would be that after the ref has called time-off a shot clock starts, maybe 20 seconds or so, and if an injured player hasn't cleared out of the way of play in that time then they must go off and be counted as an interchange. That way players with serious injuries can stay down as they will be taken off anyway, but divers and minor injuries will have to move as it disadvantages their team to hold up play

Paullyboy

Coach
Use the video ref/bunker for the purpose it was designed. To assess whether a try has been scored legally or not.

It should have zero influence on any other part of the game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
My biggest problem isn't players staying down for penalties, it's players staying down for minor injuries causing huge stoppages in play (worst is when play is stopped for a minute due to cramp!). A simple solution would be that after the ref has called time-off a shot clock starts, maybe 20 seconds or so, and if an injured player hasn't cleared out of the way of play in that time then they must go off and be counted as an interchange. That way players with serious injuries can stay down as they will be taken off anyway, but divers and minor injuries will have to move as it disadvantages their team to hold up play
Simpler still, just do what had been done in the past, someone else plays the ball 5 metres away from the injured player and let the trainer deal with them.

No need to stop play and again, if it's a dive, the player staying down is reducing his side to 12 men by choosing to stay down as play continues.

Having a stoppage just allows bunker etc to have a look and try and find a penalty

LineBall

Juniors
Use the video ref/bunker for the purpose it was designed. To assess whether a try has been scored legally or not.

It should have zero influence on any other part of the game.

This. Diving only started once the video ref could intervene with issues that happen in general play.

skeepe

Immortal
Diving is the act of pretending that you have been fouled when you haven't been.

That's not what's happening here.

Latest posts